You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2010, 05:05 AM   #1
Senior Passer-by

Default The Zorkology

I have a question for those who played (preferably) all or most of the Zork games: is there a deeper connection (except the Zork universe) between those titles and in which order should a newbie (like me) play them?
Old 04-16-2010, 06:01 AM   #2
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!

Well, there are tons of references and background that you're bound to enjoy if you played all games. Even the graphical ones have references to the Infocom IF's, most notably perhaps links between Zork Nemesis and Zork Zero.

That said, you probably wouldn't miss anything terribly important if you bypass some. To me, the ones with the biggest lore and background remain Beyond Zork, Zork Zero and Zork Nemesis (and you could argue that they're the most "serious" ones).

As a newbie however, you're probably better off with Grand Inquisitor, then Nemesis, then Zero. Return To Zork is by far the most unforgiving one.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:03 AM   #3
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

I didn't like Nemesis to be honest - besides occasional references it didn't feel like a Zork game at all.