You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure The Journeyman Project

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2010, 11:03 AM   #1
never stops believin'

Default The Journeyman Project

I really loved the second Journeyman Project but never really had a chance to play it much - I'm curious if anyone knows where you can still get it, if it's possible to run on XP...or whether this is just one where time has passed it by...

I'd love to be able to play it and the third if that's still possible on today's machines.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:11 PM   #2

I have no idea whether it would run, I could test it on Win7 if you'd like (and if I can rummage around for the disks).

As for the third game, get the DVD version if at all possible, the graphics are much better.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:27 PM   #3

I tried the first Journeyman Project (Turbo edition) on XP a while back. It ran but the graphics distorted quite badly.

Definately try and play the third game if at all possible. It's definately the best in the series.

I've recently been thinking about trying to see if i can buy an old Windows 95 era computer off e bay or somewhere. There's so many old games i want to play / replay. Has anyone else done this? What type of graphics and sound card would i need to have to run games circa 1990 - 97ish perfectly?

Last edited by cbman; 04-13-2010 at 01:48 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:31 PM   #4
never stops believin'

Does the third run in XP?

Where would you find these games: e-bay?
Old 04-13-2010, 01:56 PM   #5

E bay's a good place yep.

Always worth looking on Amazon too.

Haven't tried the third one on XP. Games from the earlier nineties tend to work more regularly than games from the later nineties for some reason on my computer.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:57 PM   #6
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbman View Post
I've recently been thinking about trying to see if i can buy an old Windows 95 era computer off e bay or somewhere. There's so many old games i want to play / replay.
You could also download one of the older (free) versions of Virtual PC and install Win95.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:27 AM   #7
Strategy Guide Author

Good series.

I'm going to have to put a vote in for the 2nd game, Buried in Time, being the best game
Old 04-14-2010, 08:26 PM   #8
UnseenUniversity Graduate

I'm trying to get Buried in Time working at the moment, and not having much luck. I think there might be something wrong with my game in particular as I've googled and no-one else is having the same problem. So I say go for it!
Old 04-15-2010, 07:58 AM   #9
Strategy Guide Author

Skeeter, what's the problem?
Old 04-16-2010, 09:13 AM   #10

Ah Buried in Time, one of my favorites. I had no problem playing the Windows '95 version on XP, even played it on Vista without problems (note there's a patch 1.10).
Old 04-17-2010, 02:56 PM   #11
It's Hard To Be Humble

Like Mart mentioned, you need to do some pretty serious Googling to find the few patches that were released for Buried In Time. I seem to remember having gotten it up and running in XP Pro with Win 95 compatibility running. Haven't tested it with the last two OSs. Might have a look at it later to see if it runs in Win 7... once I have my computer back up and running, which should be... now!
Old 04-18-2010, 05:24 AM   #12

Windows 3.1 to Windows95 upgrade for Buried in Time:

http://thejourneymanproject.com/pres.../bithints.html
Old 04-18-2010, 03:23 PM   #13

Woohoo, Journeyman Project! Awesome, awesome games! Tough, the third is one is the one I dislike. 2 is my favorite. Arthur is great. Also the directors cut of the first edition (mac only) is a must play. (I bought an old mac for it to play.. I know..crazy )

Just finished playing the DVD version of 3 last week. It worked correctly on windows 7, but I needed a patched installer because I run win 7 x64.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:46 PM   #14
It's Hard To Be Humble

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterdk View Post
Just finished playing the DVD version of 3 last week. It worked correctly on windows 7, but I needed a patched installer because I run win 7 x64.
I'll probably need to find said patch myself.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:53 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in Limbo View Post
I'll probably need to find said patch myself.
Only when running a 64 bit OS. The original installer is 16 bit, which is no longer supported on these OS's. If you can't find the installer, let me know.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:00 AM   #16
It's Hard To Be Humble

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterdk View Post
Only when running a 64 bit OS. The original installer is 16 bit, which is no longer supported on these OS's. If you can't find the installer, let me know.
*nods* Thank you.
Old 04-22-2010, 01:25 AM   #17

i could use that patch too.

coincidentally, i've been trying to get JP Turbo working again (man it's been SO many years). i'm on win 7 64bit. i used virtual XP and it's working, but it seems really really slow. i remember the game itself is pretty slow, but i have to imagine it should run faster than this.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:17 AM   #18

Hi,

I am having the same problem (sort of) so instead of creating a new thread, hope no one minds if I post it here...

I've been wanting to revisit my old journeyman project games for a while so finally decided to try and install them to play. My question is, will the Journeyman Project 3 - legacy of time cd version (not dvd version... got the old school one lol) play on a windows 7 64 bit OS? I've tried to run in compatibility mode, but have so far been stopped at the installation. It doesn't seem to want to install the game to my pc and was wondering if there was a tweak or patch for that. (I'm not that computer savvy so the virtual machines I wouldn't understand to even try that solution...)

Thanks for any help
Old 10-05-2011, 01:50 AM   #19

Default patched installer

Hey all!

I've recently dug up some of the old favourites only to find some have the 16 bit installer you've mentioned. One of them is Journeyman project 3

I've been searched and have tried lots of different things but just can't get it to install. Can someone tell me where i can find this installer patch for 64 bit windows.

thanks
Old 10-07-2011, 09:40 AM   #20

For XP install, I've checked my database and the first - JMAN Turbo! - needed to be installed to C: and afterword could be moved. If the installer won't work, set it to compatibility with XP '95. Worked for me.

JMAN 2 played fine in compatibility with first two boxes checked. Used the patch.

JMAN 3 played fine except for voice warbling which was solved by turning off acceleration via the Display /Settings /Advanced tab.

Hope you find them and get them working. Theyr'e one of my very favorites.