You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2010, 07:17 PM   #1
The Major Grubert.

Default Myst IV

Just finished this tonight for the 2nd time. What a wonderful AG, with Peter Gabriel songs and dialog. The puzzles are hard, but so rewarding. Reading the credits at the end, I realize how much talent went into this effort!

I've done 1-2-3-4, and now will do 5 and Uru. Any possibility there is a Myst 6 in our future?
Old 04-10-2010, 09:44 PM   #2
Stalker of Britain

I'm a big fan of the "Myst" series, especially of the backstories and characters. I absolutely love the books that were written based on the games, and Riven is probably my 3rd favorite adventure.

That said, I just could not get into the 4th one. I really LOVE Sirrus so you'd think I'd like it, but Yeesha annoys me, and it's just not as gripping for some reason.

I've played the first 3 games, which were pretty awesome although hard as heck. I can't go hardly two steps without a walkthrough. I'm slowly playing my way through Uru; I like it, but since it autosaves, I missed what Yeesha said once, and had to start the game over again.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 04-10-2010, 11:25 PM   #3
Beamin' Demon

Send a message via AIM to Trunkyo Send a message via MSN to Trunkyo Send a message via Yahoo to Trunkyo

It'd be too easy to say "Perhaps the ending has not yet been written" , but I'm fairly certain there won't be any more Myst games. Myst V: End of Ages is meant to wrap up the story of Atrus and his family. Yeesha's legacy is explored in Uru (especially the main quest), but for reasons I can't explain with spoiling the plot of Myst V, it might be better to play Uru before Myst V.

Given Cyan Worlds' tough financial situation, it might be a long time before any new content will be made available for Uru Live, all of their existing Age content is currently free of charge.

It will also be a long while before the fourth Myst novel, Book of Marrim is published.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:08 PM   #4
Flower bower bird

It's funny that you should post this now, Speck, because I've been thinking about loading up Myst 4 on my new iMac this week and replaying it. I had played it originally on my G4 iMac and loved it, but navigation was slow and the flying creatures in Serenia weren't visible. (It looked like the woman was just throwing seeds around.) I also haven't played Myst 5 yet, and that's next on my list.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:47 PM   #5

I don't know how you guys do it, but I tip my hat. I will never play a Myst game for more than five minutes.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A Speck Of Cereal View Post

I've done 1-2-3-4, and now will do 5 and Uru. Any possibility there is a Myst 6 in our future?
Hope you won't be too dissapointed with End of Ages and Uru... unfortunately you've just completed the last great Myst game. I remember how crushingly dissapointed i was after the amazing job Presto Studios (Journeyman Project is also great) and Ubisoft did to find that Cyan's own efforts were not very good.

Last edited by cbman; 04-11-2010 at 03:20 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
I'm a big fan of the "Myst" series, especially of the backstories and characters. I absolutely love the books that were written based on the games, and Riven is probably my 3rd favorite adventure.

That said, I just could not get into the 4th one. I really LOVE Sirrus so you'd think I'd like it, but Yeesha annoys me, and it's just not as gripping for some reason.
Aren't precocious kids irritating? I always liked to let her fireflies (or whatever the hell they were) out of the case just to annoy her.

For me, Riven is the gameplay masterpiece of the Myst series (it took me a long time but i finished it without a walkthrough... yes, that's an irrelevent brag) and Myst IV is the story-telling masterpiece.

By the way, you're list of all-time favourite games in your signature is very similar to mine.