You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure What's happening with Edna & Harvey?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2011, 04:48 AM   #61
Senior *female* member

Yesterday I talked to the receptionist and was disappointed. The bland voiceacting of the receptionist in the English version ruined it. But I love Harvey, who does wonders with his voice and I actually prefer him to the German Harvey.

Anybody else playing the game?
Old 02-20-2011, 08:18 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
Anybody else playing the game?
I'd so love to, but zavvi.com still hasn't dispatched it (on the item page, it says "usually dispatched within a MONTH"), game.co.uk still has the game labelled as "pre-order for release". What is going on here....
I'm THIS close to cancelling the zavvi order and just buying E&H on amazon.co.uk, enough is enough.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:05 PM   #63
fov
Rattenmonster

I moved the posts about technical issues here, if anyone's looking for them...
Old 02-20-2011, 06:05 PM   #64
lost in rubacava

I'm using Win 7 pro 64 bit and while the game plays very well, the load, save and quit times are long and annoying since I follow the dictum to 'save often'. Fun game though. I just hope I
Spoiler:
don't run out of toenails.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:16 PM   #65
Senior *female* member

Heh. No, you won't. I think Edna herself says something similar, but I don't remember when or where.

Quitting is just a matter of a few seconds for me. Loading and saving takes about 15 seconds on my XP computer.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:50 PM   #66

I'm very intrigued by this game. The screenshots are very unique. I'm wondering, do you move Edna around freely in this game by pointing and clicking or is it more like, say, Phantasmagoria, where the character only moves when you interact with something or leave the room?

Just curious.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:23 PM   #67
fov
Rattenmonster

You can move her around by clicking on the floor.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:05 AM   #68
Senior *female* member

Both. Click anywhere in the room, not just the floor, and Edna will walk there. When you use one of the commands (look, use, talk to, pick up) she automatically walks to the object in question.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:09 PM   #69

Alright, great! Thanks!
Old 02-23-2011, 01:14 PM   #70

love the voice acting and music, and the art is cool, the animation is close to off-putting, but in a good way.

loved the opening too, very funny, although i find the interface a bit clunky, and of course the slow saving and loading times.

but yeah overall im happy with my purchase, the design is great so far, and the writing and art style really are distinct and enjoyable.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:12 PM   #71
Dreamfall Soon!

Just received my copy of this in the from Amazon (US) today. I have been waiting for this game for so long after reading great things about it on this site. I can't wait to play! I have this and Grey Matter --- I might not resurface for days!
Old 03-08-2011, 01:51 AM   #72
Senior Passer-by

I started playing Edna & Harvey only a couple a days ago, but I must say (and take it with a grain of salt since English is not my native langage) that the translation is absolutely brilliant. The game looks/sounds to me as if it's been originally written in English.

It seems that a lot of skill & effort went into this translation since the very start of the game is chock-full of puns and phrases and they all work very well.
Thank you for the job well done, ADan! Name:  up.gif
Views: 273
Size:  1.0 KB

I also have no complaints about any other aspect of the game (story, graphics, voices, puzzles, music, playability, ... the moving of the characters is a little jerky, but since doing a perfect (proper?) animation would take a lot more time and money it's OK) so far and if it stays that way until the end of the game that would be my dream come true Name:  aplauz.gif
Views: 271
Size:  2.2 KB (I really expected E&H to be a great adventure from the moment I heard of it, even before it was released in Germany).
Old 03-08-2011, 06:39 AM   #73
overall swell guy

Thank you, Zobraks!

It's very much appreciated, especially coming from someone who is so obviously crazy about AGs (or quite probably just plain crazy) and has a great sense of humor.

Of course I cannot take the credit all for myself. There has been a rather intense process of editing that involved Deadalic's Poki (the author/creator/lead artist) and Dominik as well as AG's own Jack Allin who had to put up with any crazy stuff I came up with and hone it down to an acceptable level. (I reckon at least a third of the lines were altered in the process, alterations ranging from fixing of typos, straightening out sentence structure, fine tuning vocabulary to adjusting more radical jokes to a slightly more mainstream taste in humor).

But of course there are the voice actors as well who IMO did a great job in capturing each character's unique and individual wording, stylistic level and use of language in general.

I have to say that when I first got in contact with the game (my wife played the German demo when I was in the middle of translating The Whispered World) my immediate reaction was "this game is near impossible to translate". A year later I was offered the job and was confident enough to at least give it a shot.

I liken it to the challenge a translation/localization of Monty Python's Flying Circus would pose. (I'm not talking about subtitles which I consider to be a completely different thing). TV station Sat 1 tried a German dubbed version in 1998 but it just didn't work due to the inherently British character of most of the jokes and personnel. (How do you translate and dub a Scottish person for example? As a Bavarian? Doesn't really work).

So I was absolutely aware that we were taking a risk in attempting an interpretation of the original humor in English (or more appropriately American English) but I really hope that we've come up with a convincing result that works for everyone - well, for those who appreciate this kind of humor anyway.

Thanks again and to everyone else out there: I hope you'll enjoy playing Edna as much as Zobraks seems to be.

Cheers, Dan.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:00 AM   #74
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADan View Post
Thank you, Zobraks!
You're welcome, you (all) deserved it.

Quote:
It's very much appreciated, especially coming from someone who is so obviously crazy about AGs (or quite probably just plain crazy)
That's me all right! Name:  wacko.gif
Views: 243
Size:  904 Bytes

Quote:
and has a great sense of humor.
Try to convince Fien of that! Hey, Fien, did you hear this? Name:  smart_ass.gif
Views: 251
Size:  441 Bytes

Quote:
I liken it to the challenge a translation/localization of Monty Python's Flying Circus would pose. (I'm not talking about subtitles which I consider to be a completely different thing). TV station Sat 1 tried a German dubbed version in 1998 but it just didn't work due to the inherently British character of most of the jokes and personnel. (How do you translate and dub a Scottish person for example? As a Bavarian? Doesn't really work).
In 1971 the Pythons produced a couple of shows called Monty Python's Fliegender Zirkus (mostly original material with only a few hints of their BBC work) in German and (at least in the first show, I'm not sure for the other(s)) they spoke German themselves!
Speaking of MPFC, I started playing adventure games thanks to it: I was always a HUGE fan, and my whole adventure gamer career began when I heard there was a Python game called Monty Python's Complete Waste of Time.

Quote:
So I was absolutely aware that we were taking a risk in attempting an interpretation of the original humor in English (or more appropriately American English) but I really hope that we've come up with a convincing result that works for everyone - well, for those who appreciate this kind of humor anyway.
As I already said - you hit the mark!
Thank you one more time.

Cheers!
Old 03-08-2011, 08:53 AM   #75
Schattenjäger

Iv played this game for a couple hours now and so far im in love. The sheer amount of responses there are is overwhelming (iv been talking to eeeeverything). And even the most obscure seeming combination attempts have been yielding unique responses. Cant wait to play more!
Old 03-08-2011, 12:54 PM   #76
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zane View Post
Iv played this game for a couple hours now and so far im in love. The sheer amount of responses there are is overwhelming (iv been talking to eeeeverything). And even the most obscure seeming combination attempts have been yielding unique responses. Cant wait to play more!
Yep, eeeeverything. Isn't it great. When you've gained access to the entire asylum you can even go back to the guy who was guarding your cell door at the beginning of the game, and show him all the objects you've picked up. Just for fun.

I loved scribbling on virtually everything with sometimes unexpected results, although Edna does have a tendency to repeat herself. But you should definitely use the pen on the potted plant in the tv room. And on the door on the second floor... and on the sofa in the recreation room, the sign near the telephone, the fingerfood...

Edna: Did we do the right thing, Harvey?
Harvey: Sure! We're the good guys!
Old 03-08-2011, 01:59 PM   #77

Decided to order the game from amazon.co.uk, it arrived today. I'm so dedicating my whole weekend to playing this baby.
By the way, I love the poster.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:35 PM   #78
Schattenjäger

haha! i hadnt noticed you can scribble on so many things in the background. Just found a whispered world easteregg
Old 06-02-2011, 04:39 AM   #79

So I took my sweet time finishing the game (lots of work getting in the way of my gaming time lately, sigh) - well, the game was a surprise for me for two reasons.

Firstly, it's very well designed and a blast to play - I really like the asylum feeling like an actual place full of obstacles that you have to gradually overcome, once I finally got out of the confines of the building, I felt a great sense of accomplishment. I like the voice acting a lot (Edna, Harvey, Aluman and others did a great job) and even though Harvey's puns weren't necessarily funny most of the time, his lines added a lot to the feeling of overall craziness.

What pretty much shocked me though is how serious E&H becomes towards the end -
Spoiler:
yes, we are dealing with Alfred's murder the whole time, but it originally seems like the writers decided to take a light-hearted approach to the story - until the part taking place in the church. The priest killed, Key Master killed... and there's the ending...two endings. I suspected it could have been Edna who killed dr Marcel's son, but as if that wasn't tragic enough, you have to choose between Edna decapitating Harvey or commiting suicide...
I don't know why, but it all reminds me of the movie "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" - I also did not expect such a sad ending there.

Still, great game I thoroughly enjoyed. .
Spoiler:

It's just I feel bad for our heroes I got so attached to after helping them get through all this mess.

Last edited by Phaid; 06-02-2011 at 04:46 AM.