You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Why Adventure Game is quite popular in German ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2010, 11:44 AM   #1

Default Why Adventure Game is quite popular in German ?

i wonder.... do you guys know why ?
even a bunch of adventure game is made by a german game studio
Old 03-28-2010, 11:50 AM   #2

I think it's not only Germany but whole Europe. There are many reasons for that.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:37 PM   #3
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

No, it's Germany in particular.

LucasArts did scrap an Indiana Jones adventure game once because they realized that nazism was featured too prominently and it would be a tough sell in Germany - the main market for their adventure games.

As to why, I don't really know.
Old 03-28-2010, 01:10 PM   #4
Pixiehunter

Maybe it has something to do with a visious circle. They are more willing to sell adventures in Germany, so more people see it, want to try it out, and decide it's good fun. So more adventures get sold, so they are more likley to put adventures in stock and so on.

Here in the Netherlands there are about no adventures games in stock, so there are not many to be sold, so there are not many sold, so they think it's not worth selling them because people barely buy them, so they put even less adventures in stock. So no little people know the genre exists and that it's good fun and all that, and so not many people will buy the few that are still are sold.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:26 PM   #5

Maybe it's because Germany is still a big market for pc games, therefore genres like adventure games or real-time strategy are still viable options for developers and publishers. Although trends are showing that it's going to be tough for a lot of companys. But compared to the risks of a console game, small developers might survive in a niche gerne and reach break even point with selling less than 50.000 units.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:41 PM   #6
Bon
The Tentacle

Maybe adventures are cool in Germany. That is the home of Hitler and Tokio Hotel, so who knows...
Old 03-29-2010, 12:20 AM   #7

hmm... looks like even DTP Publisher is a German publishing company

http://www.dtp-entertainment.com/en/index.php

Old 03-29-2010, 01:37 AM   #8
Fulci lives

Quote:
Why Adventure Game is quite popular in German ?
"Don't mention the war."

sorry, I couldn't resist.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:47 AM   #9

Belgium is the same as the Netherlands. There are plenty of pc games being sold in stores, just no adventure games. I almost fainted last week when I actually saw a copy of "A Vampire Story" in our Free Record Shop! I was THIS close to buying it, but then I didn't because I'd just bought "Secret Files: Tunguska", and it's not really my style of game anyway. But I still think I should go back and buy it in a feeble attempt to raise adventure game sales.

If I could be sure that the games aren't dubbed in German, I'd go over there some time and buy one, but luckily most games can be bought online and downloaded today.

Just finished:Jurassic Park, Mata Hari
Playing now:Assassin's Creed 2, So Blonde
To be continued:Final Fantasy 13
Old 03-29-2010, 07:19 AM   #10

Germany is also famous for it's enormous collection of worldbuilding and simulation games. Like Settlers, but when I visited Germany I saw lots and lots of simulation games I had never seen.

Maybe Germany has such a focus on non-violence games due to their history. I don't know if the laws are stricter, but I remember that some games had to be changed for their market, like green blood instead of red. etc.