You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Heavy Rain is not an adventure game.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2010, 12:58 AM   #61

Probably some have mixed chickens to ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thello View Post
No, you don't understand! If a game doesn't use the same tired methods of an established dead genre, it cannot be part of said genre!
No, you don't understand! If a game uses almost no methods of an established genre, it can be part of said genre!
Old 03-24-2010, 05:37 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejobloshow View Post
Spoiler:
What about the mad doctor?

Spoiler:
A completely unnecessary scene, I didn't even know there was such a scene until my second playthrough. First time, guy gave me the creeps so I didn't drink and when he left the room I rummaged through the place and as soon as I found what I needed I got the hell out of there.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:41 PM   #63
It's Hard To Be Humble

*sigh*
Old 03-24-2010, 06:59 PM   #64
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in Limbo View Post
*sigh*
I know, I know. People and their arbitrary authoritativeness.

Personally I think Heavy Rain is beyond the adventure game genre.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 03-24-2010 at 09:24 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:57 PM   #65

I wonder if somewhere else, people also debating whether Mass Effect is RPG / FPS heheuhee.....
Old 03-24-2010, 09:58 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by potan View Post
I wonder if somewhere else, people also debating whether Mass Effect is RPG / FPS heheuhee.....
Probably. Just like the people at NMA will debate endlessly whether Fallout 3 is or isn't "Fallout." The reality is that it really doesn't fucking matter.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:22 AM   #67

Bored silly and tired of constant attempts to define the illusive adventure game? So far, I’m loving the discussion on this thread. Even if much has been said before, a fresh twist from a thinking gamer usually pops out of thin air.

Favorite Adventure Games:
Riven, The Longest Journey 1, Syberia 1 & 2, Grim Fandango, Still Life 1, Broken Sword Series, Lost Crown

Heavy Rain (Action/Adventure)

Last edited by AprilLives; 03-25-2010 at 07:31 AM.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:03 PM   #68
Codger

My comments to the Reviews apparently never made it into print. So I will recap those comments here. This may or may not be a good game. I don't know because I don't have the equipment to play it.

There were several who said they bought the equipment required to play this "game" just so they could play it.

Including the cost of the game, that expenditure was between $400-600US. That's a mighty expensive game. And any hint of a negative review would be enough to turn me off.

For those that already have a PS3, buy the game and have at it.

The price is a little to steep for me, who complains about games costing more than $30US...and for some, not worth $20.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:48 AM   #69

I'm a lil surprised that so many of you don't care what genre a game falls in. A good game is a good game, but that's a matter of an opinion. Genres are there for a reason; Someone who doesn't enjoy playing car racing games will not purchase such a game for himself, no matter how good the graphs or the "story" is, for one single reason: the emphasis is on driving a car. So yes, it makes all the difference in the world, which genre the game is in.

Secondly, I also do not think Heavy Rain is an adventure game. It does have some adventure elements in it, but so do several other games that are otherwise something else. That alone doesn't equal an AG. What I didn't like was how the story was set up for you, and all you had to do was keep pushing buttons to uncover more. Not much thinking required and I really do find it funny how so many of you fall into the developers marketing scheme of an interactive movie or whatever he calls it.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:50 PM   #70
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannes View Post
I'm a lil surprised that so many of you don't care what genre a game falls in. A good game is a good game, but that's a matter of an opinion. Genres are there for a reason; Someone who doesn't enjoy playing car racing games will not purchase such a game for himself, no matter how good the graphs or the "story" is, for one single reason: the emphasis is on driving a car. So yes, it makes all the difference in the world, which genre the game is in.
But that only applies if a game definitely fits in a particular genre. (in which case there is nothing to argue about) But what if a game only has some car racing sections? Or a choice to solve certain sections by car racing or using your wits? Suddenly it's not clearly a car racing game and doesn't fit into the car racing genre. The inclusion of car racing elements may still be enough to put some people off but those willing to tolerate some car racing (not a genre they buy but not something they totally hate) will buy the game for the other elements if they are good.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 03-28-2010, 01:48 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan View Post
But that only applies if a game definitely fits in a particular genre. (in which case there is nothing to argue about) But what if a game only has some car racing sections? Or a choice to solve certain sections by car racing or using your wits? Suddenly it's not clearly a car racing game and doesn't fit into the car racing genre. The inclusion of car racing elements may still be enough to put some people off but those willing to tolerate some car racing (not a genre they buy but not something they totally hate) will buy the game for the other elements if they are good.
Heavy Rain seems like the perfect vehicle to sort out the overlapping elements you mention, stepurhan. . I think it needs to be discussed and played more than once to grasp where the genre belongs because you start out in that delicious fog of not knowing. The realism is awesome and it feels like adventure but I might have thought twice before purchasing a PS3 for Heavy Rain had I been able to see this was largely about hand/eye coordination, reflexes, fighting and timed sequences.

Favorite Adventure Games:
Riven, The Longest Journey 1, Syberia 1 & 2, Grim Fandango, Still Life 1, Broken Sword Series, Lost Crown

Heavy Rain (Action/Adventure)

Last edited by AprilLives; 03-31-2010 at 05:13 AM.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:38 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan View Post
True but then again in Heavy Rain you do more one thing than everything.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:06 PM   #73
It's Hard To Be Humble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
I know, I know. People and their arbitrary authoritativeness.

Personally I think Heavy Rain is beyond the adventure game genre.
Agreed, to an extent. It's a firebrand, a vanguard on the path to somewhere new for AGs. I'm glad it's there.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:06 PM   #74

There was a time when people debated weather "Dreamfall" was an adventure game. (All those "action" sequences).

"Heavy Rain" is simply the best adventure game since "Dreamfall" and the first time in six years we've seen one sell this many copies too.

Heavy rain is not only an adventure gamer, its THE adventure game:

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/adventur...in/review.html

"This deeply moving adventure adapts to your every action and is not to be missed."

PS3 is also getting this adventure game later this year:

L.A. Noire

Both are contendors for "Adventure Game of the Year!

Last edited by Mikekelly; 04-04-2010 at 10:07 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-05-2010, 02:12 AM   #75

Quote:
Agreed, to an extent. It's a firebrand, a vanguard on the path to somewhere new for AGs. I'm glad it's there.
I welcome you to the land of adventure games that play themselves and can be won in one sitting by twelve years old clinical retards who were left doing amazing lettuce impersonations after one beating too many.

Thank you very much for taking us here, Heavy Rain.

We are forever indebted to you.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:40 AM   #76
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircalla View Post
I welcome you to the land of adventure games that play themselves and can be won in one sitting by twelve years old clinical retards who were left doing amazing lettuce impersonations after one beating too many.
I gather you're not a fan of Heavy Rain but this sort of comment is inappropriate. By all means voice your opinions on the game but try to be a bit more constructive in your phrasing.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 04-05-2010, 09:34 AM   #77

Quote:

Thank you very much for taking us here, Heavy Rain.

We are forever indebted to you.
I'm sorry but Heavy Rain is rated mature 17+. Did you arrive to that conclusion by allowing your 12 year old to play the game? If so, then shame on you, and I hope you go to parenting class...

Top 10 adventure games: Black Dahlia, Grim Fandango, Heavy Rain, Broken Sword Shadow of Templars, Gabriel Knight 2 The Beast Within, Still Life, Last Express, Sanitarium, 7th Guest, Zork Nemesis
Old 04-05-2010, 10:43 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan
I gather you're not a fan of Heavy Rain but this sort of comment is inappropriate. By all means voice your opinions on the game but try to be a bit more constructive in your phrasing.
Why is it inappropiate? I have insulted no one and just used a somewhat colorful and exagerated way to point at the fact the game is in no way challenging, mostly plays itself, and has no more game on it than a choose your own adventure book. I did not even say this game sucks, which it kind of does. I only said a hungry zombie attack victim could play the game as well as, well, someone who wasn't attacked by hungry zombies. In which way, again, was that inappropiate?

Also, it is actually pretty amusing i can get kind of warned because i spoke of a game, and not of the people who liked the game, in a somewhat harsh way, but that Luther guy can get away with trying to insult me because he is too mild and boring at it. Double standards much? Live to be dissapointed, yay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luther10
I'm sorry but Heavy Rain is rated mature 17+. Did you arrive to that conclusion by allowing your 12 year old to play the game? If so, then shame on you, and I hope you go to parenting class...
First, the day i allow some random ret... i mean, some random really nice people i do not know to decide what my kids can or can't play is the day i turn the insides of my skull into abstract graffiti over that wall right there. That's it, if some day i decide to allow a bunch of ugly alien parasites to feed on my insides for nine months and then on my sweat for eighteen years. I congratulate you, though, on allowing some random jerks from the ESBR, who are so very much cultured and enlightened as to think themes to be intrinsically mature, to make choices for you. That attitude will carry you really far in life, let me tell you. Or it did, who knows?

Second, think very well if you want to go flame war with me over this crappy game before trying to be smart, you little s... nice person, yes, as i have insulted no one but the game itself, and then only by picking a somewhat harsh way to point at a fact, the fact being that the game has no challenge whatsoever, at all, and mostly plays itself. If you want to turn this personal, sure, go on, i don't mind some sport, but then don't go crying for the mods once the choice comes back to chew your sorry ass off.

And there i was, hoping the mythical adventure gaming and puzzle solving intellectual elite actually knew the diference between attacking the argument (Heavy Rain is so easy an inbreed retard could solve it) and attacking the argumenter (heh heh, you abuse your retarded kids, i'm so smart). Live to be dissapointed, i guess.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:58 AM   #79

Mircalla, just leave

you are embarrassing yourself
Memento Mori/Heavy Rain-Taxidermist
Replay: ---
Favorite Adventure: Broken Sword - Shadow of the Templars
waiting to be played: Sanitarium, Perry Rhodan, Tex Murphy FMV Series
Old 04-05-2010, 03:07 PM   #80
It's Hard To Be Humble

Quote:
...We are forever indebted to you.
We'll have to agree to disagree, as your arguments no more persuade me than mine does you. *shrug*