You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure AG Community Playthrough #13: Gabriel Knight 2

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2010, 09:51 AM   #381

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
If someone is interested, I also wrote a paper, Trials on behalf of supposed Vampires and Werewolves, that was originally to be published on the Gabriel Knight 4 Campaing website. I can't copy/paste it here, mainly because it's too long, but if you're interested let me know.
Yes, please.
I could not resist and just bought (on ebay) Montague Summers: Vampire and Vampirism and Encyclopedia of Haunted Places.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:09 AM   #382

Quote:
If someone is interested, I also wrote a paper, Trials on behalf of supposed Vampires and Werewolves, that was originally to be published on the Gabriel Knight 4 Campaing website. I can't copy/paste it here, mainly because it's too long, but if you're interested let me know.
Andrea, did Almirena not get a chance put it up before she disappeared? You could try to get a hold of Santi, but his FTP access may be limited to just the forum's directory.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:59 AM   #383

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collector View Post
Andrea, did Almirena not get a chance put it up before she disappeared? You could try to get a hold of Santi, but his FTP access may be limited to just the forum's directory.
Yes, that was the problem, Collector. I could try contacting Santi about it, but he's almost as elusive as Al herself these days
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 05-11-2010, 12:54 PM   #384
Life and times of...

Finished today, full points (yay!). Loved the whole Opera part (and the extra who goes halfway the screen, notices he's lost something and goes back (he talked about it in IMDB by the way) ), and I thought that the wolf's-eye part was fun, even if it took me a long time (and eventually a slight help, I'm afraid to say) to figure out that you had to trap him in precisely the furnace room. Still, fun, fun, fun

What left me confused was that part in the end video about the tests. "They won't stop testing you, you know?" He isn't a werewolf anymore though, right? Does it mean like medical tests, or am I understanding it wrongly? I guess it's just a nod towards reality, that once it got out, it made for one heck of an interesting research subject, but still... Makes for an odd way to finish the game. And I'm also wondering how that works in relation to GK3 Doesn't seem to be any tests there...

Or maybe you already discussed this I should really read the stuff you've talked about
Old 05-11-2010, 01:51 PM   #385
Pixiehunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist View Post
What left me confused was that part in the end video about the tests. "They won't stop testing you, you know?"
Could it be that that part of the conversation was about being a Schattenjäger, and being determined to go on with that, but with the forces of evil always being there to get him down, to 'test' his strength?
Old 05-11-2010, 02:39 PM   #386

I always thought Grace was talking about the other people in Gabriel's live, about his responsibilities as a man and as a Schattenjager.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Old 05-11-2010, 04:25 PM   #387

Quote:
I always thought Grace was talking about the other people in Gabriel's live, about his responsibilities as a man and as a Schattenjager.
Yeah my thoughts exactly. Now that you mention it, I remember someone else suggesting the concept of testing him as a werewolf and I forgot to reply to it . But yeah, particularly the idea of him being tested as a Schattenjager is how I took it myself.

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 05-11-2010, 11:02 PM   #388

I think that was me. But I've since come to adopt the "testing as Schattenjäger" explanation as well.

Just finished:Jurassic Park, Mata Hari
Playing now:Assassin's Creed 2, So Blonde
To be continued:Final Fantasy 13
Old 05-13-2010, 03:48 AM   #389
Life and times of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna Sevithiainen View Post
Could it be that that part of the conversation was about being a Schattenjäger, and being determined to go on with that, but with the forces of evil always being there to get him down, to 'test' his strength?
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sughly View Post
Yeah my thoughts exactly. Now that you mention it, I remember someone else suggesting the concept of testing him as a werewolf and I forgot to reply to it . But yeah, particularly the idea of him being tested as a Schattenjager is how I took it myself.
Ah yes, of course... Makes much more sense that way
Old 05-24-2010, 08:58 AM   #390
fov
Rattenmonster

Ack... why did I never finish playing this? I was right at the good part!

Old 05-25-2010, 10:05 AM   #391
The Quiet One

Quote:
Interview with Dean Erickson, 2 — another interesting interview from a fan of the series.
Any idea when this interview was done? I imagine it was a fair few years ago. Someone needs to conduct a more up-to-date interview with him - see what he's up to.

And I had no idea the British version was edited! Which scenes were removed? I thought there was only a deleted scene/gameplay sequence involving Ludwig?

Anyway, I thought this was amusing when I found it. I had no idea there was such a series.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 05-25-2010, 03:29 PM   #392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzoid View Post
Any idea when this interview was done? I imagine it was a fair few years ago. Someone needs to conduct a more up-to-date interview with him - see what he's up to.
Well, I can tell you that he's still working in the financial business and that he recently got married. There are photos of his wedding day on Facebook and we over at the GK4 forum even chimed in to say our congratulations to the happy couple.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:38 PM   #393
Stalker of Britain

I wonder if his wife has ever had to play through GK2? I always wonder if significant others have to watch through all of the movies their husband/wife has done.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 05-26-2010, 03:37 AM   #394
The Quiet One

Quote:
Well, I can tell you that he's still working in the financial business and that he recently got married. There are photos of his wedding day on Facebook and we over at the GK4 forum even chimed in to say our congratulations to the happy couple.
Cool. I've just checked out some of the photos. Good to know he's doing well. It would be niffty having him as a friend on Facebook, but I don't want to appear to be some kind of stalker.

I understand he's also written a book too - No One Laughs at a Dead Clown

I've also found another interview at JustAdventure.

Any ideas about my second question?
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 05-26-2010, 03:36 PM   #395

Unfortunately, I don't. I don't own the British version so I cannot check the validity of the information.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:38 AM   #396

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzoid View Post

And I had no idea the British version was edited! Which scenes were removed? I thought there was only a deleted scene/gameplay sequence involving Ludwig?

Anyway, I thought this was amusing when I found it. I had no idea there was such a series.
as far as i can tell i don't believe the uk version was edited. the beast within listing on the british board of film classifications website lists the game passed as 15 with no cuts made and the game did indeed carry a legally binding 15 certificate. i have never seen any screenshots that suggested the british version was cut. the only violent/bloody scenes in the game was when (gk2 spoiler)
Spoiler:
gabe discoveres von zell and when the wolf ripes open gabes throat in a death scene.
if there were any more violent scenes that may have been cut from the british version let me know and i'll confirm whether they were in the british version or not.

phantasmagoria 2 however was edited passing with an 18 certificate with cuts which is also listed in the bbfc archives (phant 2 spoiler)
Spoiler:
(they cut bobs murder scene and therese's murder scene replacing them with the less intense versions no matter which version of the game you started)
Old 06-16-2010, 04:01 AM   #397
Senior Passer-by

Here's what some PC Gamer's writer had to say about The Beast Within (all of it):

Quote:
Originally Posted by some guy from PC G
Gabriel Knight 2

The original, Phantasmagoria, didn't leave behind the most heady of legacies. Luckily Gabriel Knight 2 improves on its predecessor quite significantly: this six-CD monster has loads to it, and unusually the FMV clips that break up the point-and-click action are both relevant and well-acted.
Ever so slightly dull, perhaps the promise of adult themes (centering on a rape) will help stir up a little interest for those who stick with it.

Issue 28 65%

Quoted from the book "PC Gamer Presents The Ultimate Guide to PC Games: Instant Guide to a Decade of PC Games", published by Future Publishing in 2003 (on page 103).
Old 06-16-2010, 08:44 AM   #398
Life and times of...

What can you expect from people who have the IQ and attention span of little ADHD children (or perhaps something inanimate) and who feel that the more you can kill and shoot stuff, the more fulfilling the experience?

To exaggerate, slightly
Old 06-16-2010, 08:49 AM   #399

Quote:
Originally Posted by zobraks View Post
Here's what some PC Gamer's writer had to say about The Beast Within (all of it):

Quoted from the book "PC Gamer Presents The Ultimate Guide to PC Games: Instant Guide to a Decade of PC Games", published by Future Publishing in 2003 (on page 103).

That's odd. PC Gamer (U.S.) gave GK2 a 95% or 96% rating. I definitely remember that.

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 06-16-2010, 01:10 PM   #400
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zobraks View Post

I don't get it. The lines in red must be about the rape in Phantasmagoria, not about GK2. So is that the reviewer's score for Phantasmagoria?