You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure AG Community Playthrough #13: Gabriel Knight 2

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2010, 12:03 PM   #181
Random

About the blinking icon (Luna, Sharon):

Spoiler:
That "bug" happened to me too. I'm not sure how I figured out what to do, but I think it has something to do with those paintings and objects. After checking EVERYTHING again (paintings, objects, tape information (looking to objects and paintings), the blinking icon disappeared but the strange thing is that I haven't achieved any new points before nor after the blinking icon, lol. Probably it's just an irrelevant glitch.

Playing: Alan Wake
Last Finished: Black Mirror 2 (4/5)
Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:36 PM   #182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
I have to say, walking all the way across Marienplatz when getting off the subway to get the to club gets annoying after awhile, especially since you can't just skip the walking. But I still love it. The intensity of Herr Preiss is scary yet alluring at the same timw, as is Von Glower.
I think you can click a double black arrow that appears in the top right corner to skip the walking. I had the same little annoyance and I didn't know about this "skip" arrow until I saw a youtube video
Old 03-11-2010, 12:40 PM   #183

I finished chapter 4:

Spoiler:
I liked it, but I think I liked the first 2 chapters better.

I am glad that Grace and Gerde stopped fighting; I was not surprised at all that Gerde loved Gabriel's uncle (this was hinted at in GK 1).

Ludwig's history was intresting, and his castle you visited were beautiful (makes me think even more now that they filmed the Ritter's castle inside some old victorian mansion in the US).

Again not a difficult chapter, Grace's chapters feel more like early Gk1, more investigation rather than puzzles.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:16 PM   #184
Pixiehunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denaron View Post
About the blinking icon (Luna, Sharon):

Spoiler:
That "bug" happened to me too. I'm not sure how I figured out what to do, but I think it has something to do with those paintings and objects. After checking EVERYTHING again (paintings, objects, tape information (looking to objects and paintings), the blinking icon disappeared but the strange thing is that I haven't achieved any new points before nor after the blinking icon, lol. Probably it's just an irrelevant glitch.
I wonder if the blinking cursor prevents events from happening...at the moment I am
Spoiler:
waiting for the fax from Chaphill jr
, and I thought I really did everything to trigger that...but maybe I am relying to much on information I know from the previous playthrough, and forget that Grace does not have that info yet in the current playthrough, or something like that. I'll just go and look around some more...
Old 03-11-2010, 02:17 PM   #185
Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna Sevithiainen View Post
I wonder if the blinking cursor prevents events from happening...at the moment I am
Spoiler:
waiting for the fax from Chaphill jr
, and I thought I really did everything to trigger that...but maybe I am relying to much on information I know from the previous playthrough, and forget that Grace does not have that info yet in the current playthrough, or something like that. I'll just go and look around some more...
Well, feel free to ask if you need any information!

I've just finished chapter 4. Very interesting but like PhoenixWrong, I also liked the previous chapters better. In my opnion it was the hardest one so far, I got stuck in several points like
Spoiler:
the part we have to use the Ludwig book with the telephone. I haven't noticed the phone number on the book in the first time I read it. I was desperate, using everything on the telephone when accidentaly I called the publisher, lol. By the way, I don't understand how could Thomas Chaphill just "change his mind" and send a document with such importance to Grace, someone he barely knows.

Spoiler:
Finally we're able to get the lily flower by the church, I was trying to take it since chapter 2! I would love to know what the priest and Grace are chatting in german in this part.

Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.

Last edited by Denaron; 03-11-2010 at 02:52 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:08 PM   #186
Pixiehunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denaron View Post
Spoiler:
By the way, I don't understand how could Thomas Chaphill just "change his mind" and send a document with such importance to Grace, someone he barely knows.
Spoiler:
I always thought that it is Ludwig's doing somehow. Thomas Chaphill only changes his mind after Grace communicated with Ludwig, asking him for more information. But I agree, it seems really out of the blue. I wonder what Thomas Chaphill's explanation was for his own change of mind, I mean, I guess he should have found it really odd of himself. Or Ludwig started communicating to him to give Grace the transcript, and, being afraid to be seen as a complete loony when explaining that Ludwig told him to do so, he'd call it a change of mind instead.

As for me, I finished chapter 4. Thanks to Denaron, I considered going through Neuschwannstein again, and indeed, even though I was sure I saw everything, it turned out that I missed one painting. No extra points, but the blinking stopped and the next event was triggered.

Another small peeve in this chapter:
Spoiler:
when you return to the castle, you always have the same scene with Grace saying hi and Gerde saying hi right back. Because I thought this always to be the same, I ended up clicking through that scene, which is really annoying when Gerde ends up telling you that you received a phone call from prof. Barckley (during my first playthough I was stuck for ages and ended up using uhs, which told me that Gerde would notify me...Because I did not expect that a second time, I kept on clicking through this scene, so I missed Gerde's notification of the fax being at the post office as well. I only found that out when I, stuck, tried to talk to everyone, including the woman at the post office, who happened to have a fax for me. During that first playthrough I never knew that Gerde told Grace the fax was actually at the post office, so during this playthrough, after finishing Neuschwannstein, I immediately went to the post office, only to get really frustrated for the fax not being there (which I was sure would apper out of thin air). Only then did I find out that Gerde was first to tell Grace the fax had arrived
Old 03-11-2010, 03:47 PM   #187

That is the thing with chapter 2 & 4. There are no real puzzles, just things you have to do in order and if you miss a clue or a hint it is easy to get stuck.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:14 PM   #188
Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna Sevithiainen View Post
Spoiler:
I always thought that it is Ludwig's doing somehow. Thomas Chaphill only changes his mind after Grace communicated with Ludwig, asking him for more information.
Ohhh, you're right. I never thought about it. Everything makes sense now!

Quote:
As for me, I finished chapter 4. Thanks to Denaron, I considered going through Neuschwannstein again, and indeed, even though I was sure I saw everything, it turned out that I missed one painting. No extra points, but the blinking stopped and the next event was triggered.
I knew it! Hehehe. You're welcome. I'm glad you finally finished it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixWrong View Post
That is the thing with chapter 2 & 4. There are no real puzzles, just things you have to do in order and if you miss a clue or a hint it is easy to get stuck.
Yeah, it's true. That's the reason I save often and in different places, if I get stuck for too long I just load and talk with everyone again to see if i didn't miss any dialogue, cutscene or clue.

Old 03-11-2010, 04:47 PM   #189

I just finished Chapter 4 as well. I just have to say that

Spoiler:
I just looove the whole lost opera business, and well the whole mystery behind Ludwig as well. I think I much prefer to look for lost operas from famous composers than to save the world or deal with conspiracies in my games

I agree that chapters 2 and 4 are more about doing everything in order and getting information, but it complements so well with the others. Just like Fien said, you don't want to stop playing as Gabriel and then you don't want to stop playing as Grace. And yeah you could definitely run into those problems if you miss a cut scene or miss a piece of information, you definitely have to play as if it was your first play through I think.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:22 PM   #190
Senior *female* member

I missed that piece on the Tour about Ludwig himself supplying the descriptions. Thanks!

About the blinking lights: I only managed to get 380 points (4 points more than previously) and stop the museum and Neuschwanstein lights from blinking by having Grace read everything aloud instead of simply reading it myself. I was even rewarded with new comments and mini cutscenes I hadn't seen before. For instance, when I visited Neuschwanstein for the second time and zoomed in on the tower door, Grace wondered if Ludwig had really wanted to throw himself off the tower that night.

The lily conversation with Father Getz: he insist Grace takes the flower because it will be a cold night and the flowers will freeze to death anyway. He says it's a gift from the Madonna.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:40 PM   #191
Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
The lily conversation with Father Getz: he insist Grace takes the flower because it will be a cold night and the flowers will freeze to death anyway. He says it's a gift from the Madonna.
Ohhh, I see. Thank you very much, Fien!

Old 03-11-2010, 07:55 PM   #192
Stalker of Britain

In the middle of Chapter 4 now. I like playing as Gabriel and delving into the club members more than Grace, but I agree, once you start a chapter with a character, you don't want to switch.

Everytime Gabriel chooses a dialogue choice, he takes a deep breath in. I wasn't able to hear some dialogue, so I loaded up a saved game and clicked through to get where I was, and each time, he breathed in deeply.

The end of chapter 3, what in the heck does Gabriel see? I had this same problem with making out what was left in his bookstore in the 1st game. And the wolf seemed to recognize the talisman, even though it's been lost to Tetelo for years?

I really like Emmil, even though his wife is crazy (the Smiths). He's so calm and quiet, I really love him. The tarot card reading was interesting; although I don't "believe" in it, I love seeing it in games and how they relate to the characters, like in "The Lost Crown" too.

The letters and other information found in the Ludwig museum, I assume, are real? So he did have insomnia and have a mysterious new friend? That's pretty cool. Tell me Andrea, why do you like this chapter the best? Although the info is interesting, I prefer "being in the action" with Gabriel.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 03-12-2010, 02:29 AM   #193
Failed Birthday Elf

Still going through Chapter 4.

I find that I have to play this chapter in stages as there is a lot of information to digest (even now having palyed it a few times before!) and I need to pay attention, listen and think to fully understand what is going on!

This chapter is very much at odds with the "action" of other chapters and I find I need to be in the right mood to get the most out of the research, as that is what this chapter is!

Even still, this is a very interesting chapter as the past of the story starts to become fleshed out and is so much deeper than "investigate a werewolf" which is how the game starts out. Once again this deepening of the story is a Jensen hallmark and is extraordinarily well done, providing lots of information, history and detail without becoming boring.

I'll probably finish the chapter tonight or tomorrow and i'm already looking forward to the next chapters where theory becomes practice!
Old 03-12-2010, 03:57 AM   #194
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
The end of chapter 3, what in the heck does Gabriel see?
The book says it's the neighbor's cat, but I couldn't make head or tail of it either...

Quote:
And the wolf seemed to recognize the talisman, even though it's been lost to Tetelo for years?
The talisman protects Gabe against nasty evil thinghies, so the wolf is scared off. In the book he is about to attack Gabe.

Quote:
The letters and other information found in the Ludwig museum, I assume, are real? So he did have insomnia and have a mysterious new friend?
The game is a mixture of fact and fiction and that goes for the museum as well. The portrait of Ludwig, for instance, is real enough but not with the actor's head pasted in. At the very least, part of the text in the museum must have been written by Jane Jensen, references to "Louis" etcetera. Apparently Ludwig did suffer from insomnia, but I don't think he had a mysterious new friend.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:59 AM   #195
Dreamfall Soon!

I agree that Chapter 4 can be frustrating because of the order things have to be done and it is not as puzzle oriented, but this is one of my favorite chapters just because of all the things that you learn and that you can explore. I love every bit of the tours.

I'll add more when I finish it (for the 5,000th time ).
Old 03-13-2010, 04:21 AM   #196

Quote:
The book says it's the neighbor's cat, but I couldn't make head or tail of it either...
Seems to me clear that it's some small animal which has had its stomach ripped open. Don't think more is necessary to know!

Quote:
The talisman protects Gabe against nasty evil thinghies, so the wolf is scared off. In the book he is about to attack Gabe.
Yep, it's not that it's recognising the Talisman; but that the wolf "feels" its power. Spoiler for whole game:
Spoiler:
That element is proved at the end of Chapter 5...

Quote:
The game is a mixture of fact and fiction and that goes for the museum as well. The portrait of Ludwig, for instance, is real enough but not with the actor's head pasted in. At the very least, part of the text in the museum must have been written by Jane Jensen, references to "Louis" etcetera. Apparently Ludwig did suffer from insomnia, but I don't think he had a mysterious new friend.
Indeed. Many of the portraits are 100% accurate, also the locations (interiors & exteriors) and some other elements...but as Fien comments, certainly not everything . One thing I did notice is that one of the fake texts in the Wagner museum has an extra sentence in German compared to the English. I'd have to check back to get it exactly, but it was about how to make the chrystals.

Like the chapter but there's certainly a lot of info to take in. Georg & Josef Dallmier are two well-acted characters, their German also sounds good. Spoiler for this chapter:
Spoiler:
Like the puzzle with Ludwig's biography, an example of a puzzle really well intergrated into the game. The only bit i think slightly unfair is a location in the Herrenchiemsee museum - one of the display cabinets on the left is very hard to spot. I missed it I remember back when I originally played the game, and overlooked it at first this time too. Without it, you can't go to Bayreuth.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:58 AM   #197

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

If it is OK with everyone, tomorrow I'll post my thoughts about Chapter Four, quickly followed by the new info for Chapter Five.

Let me know
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 03-13-2010, 03:08 PM   #198

Chapter 4 was annoying, the flow was off compared to the first 3. I enjoyed all the information provided, but I don't want to spend hours scouring the places I've already been looking for something I missed. Then there's the cutscenes with Gerde which you could skip and miss vital information. Thankfully that didn't happen to me. I've had enough of museums for now.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:41 AM   #199
Stalker of Britain

I agree, there's so many parts of the museum, it's so easy to miss something. Every single time I play, I miss a small section. lol

The next chapter, 5, is my favorite. One last comment on Chapter 4; Who in the heck is "L&R" on Ludwig's letters? I must be going daft.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 03-14-2010, 04:06 PM   #200
Senior *female* member

I say, let's get a move on.