Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Amnesia (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/26343-amnesia.html)

ozzie 02-20-2010 12:22 PM

Amnesia

http://www.amnesiagame.com/images/splash_main.jpg

Amnesia is the next upcoming game from Frictional Games, the makers of the Penumbra series, and it seems to be just as atmospheric and scary.
There's a new awesome looking teaser video on its website.
I think it's just scary to watch, so I think I would panic a lot while playing it! ;)
If 2000 pre-orders are in by March 31st, then the game will get a commentary track as a bonus. I already did my part. ;)

potan 02-20-2010 12:58 PM

damn... that's was scary,
not sure if i'm gonna play this alone :9

Collector 02-20-2010 01:30 PM

Same nausea inducing unrealistic fish-eye 3-D view as Penumbra.

Monolith 02-20-2010 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Collector (Post 539624)

I don't understand. The field of view is a lot lower than most FPS games. To be honest, I prefer the FOV to be at 95 degrees to simulate Peripheral Vision....otherwise, I'd get sick.

Anyways, the game looks awesome. I really loved the Penumbra series, minus the last game which I never finished. From the Physics Based interaction to the EXTREMELY nerve wrecking atmosphere. The looks like it could be fun.

Phaid 02-21-2010 03:04 PM

I loved Penumbra for great puzzles and unnerving atmosphere, so I'm definitely looking forward to Amnesia. Brilliant gem of a game.
It's good to know Frictional have found a publisher already.

Roper Klacks 02-21-2010 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phaid (Post 539748)
It's good to know Frictional have found a publisher already.

They were with Paradox, did they break up? Are they still together?

SamandMax 02-21-2010 08:34 PM

I love the engine they're using to make their games, I really think they've done first person adventuring better than any other game before in this genre. Imagine Jonathan Boakes moving from the static screens of Dark Fall to this, or a Tex Murphy game with a completely dynamic, physics-based world. I love the horror games they're making but there's still so many other cool things you could do with the tools they have.

Phaid 02-22-2010 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roper Klacks (Post 539768)
They were with Paradox, did they break up? Are they still together?

I'm not sure. Publisher is still "to be announced", according to the pre-order page.
http://www.amnesiagame.com/#buy

Henke 02-22-2010 09:48 AM

I'm awaiting this one with great anticipation. Hopefully they will implement better support for newer graphics cards since there have been more then a few problems with the Penumbra-games. :shifty:

Owskie 02-22-2010 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Collector (Post 539624)

because realism is what we look for in adventure games...

zazzaro 02-25-2010 01:19 PM

Hmm at work and never heard of the Penumbra Series. Looks great. As you can see in the other threads i have posted I'm really looking for a new Adventure to play and maybe this is it. Will it run okay on my EePC Netbook???

Bandersnatch 02-25-2010 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zazzaro (Post 540128)
Hmm at work and never heard of the Penumbra Series. Looks great. As you can see in the other threads i have posted I'm really looking for a new Adventure to play and maybe this is it. Will it run okay on my EePC Netbook???

Penumbra is a great survival-horror series. You can get Penumbra Collection pretty cheaply. Story might not be the best, but it's freaky and there are some clever physics based puzzles. Wouldn't really call it an adventure game though.

Monolith 02-26-2010 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bandersnatch (Post 540132)
Penumbra is a great survival-horror series. You can get Penumbra Collection pretty cheaply. Story might not be the best, but it's freaky and there are some clever physics based puzzles. Wouldn't really call it an adventure game though.

Well, only as good as a Lovecraftian story.....which are pretty good. Better than the typical "Something changes the earth and one unlikely hero must save it" story. :P

inm8#2 09-03-2010 08:57 PM

bump

Nice review from IGN. http://pc.ign.com/articles/111/1118326p1.html

SamandMax 09-07-2010 10:00 PM

Got my copy today and played for a couple of hours. If you like horror games, you're going to be very happy with this. It plays a lot like Penumbra but the castle setting seems a lot more interesting and varied and the story so far is a bit familiar but intriguingly mysterious. The use of light is brilliant, and it's safe to say that if someone with a fear of the dark played this, they'd most likely become catatonic. Enemies seem few and far between (so far) like the Penumbra games, which makes them that much more frightening when you do come across them. You don't even know what you're running from because they're usually just figures clambering around in the shadows, I didn't see what they exactly were until well into my playing and it was a suitably scary moment.

In summation: if you like horror adventure games, you need to play this.

Pandaara 09-08-2010 12:22 PM

Just to let people know there's a demo of it available on Steam. You probably all know this already, but this is for people who don't know so :P heheheheh :)

I managed to get to the err... Well it's a dark room that has been flooded and this invisible monster is charging towards you. I died several times naturally and the only tip you get is STAY OUT OF THE WATER, or something similiar to that effect. I had to stop playing after that, it was genuinely unsettling. I like how you're always in a state of vulnerability and everywhere I ventured in the castle I did so with extreme caution and trepidation. This is a horror game that's absolutely effective at what it does.

Kudos to the sound design, incredibly well done.

Love, Daniel.

I had to laugh at that letter addressed to himself though :P

Monolith 09-08-2010 06:42 PM

Just played the demo. Really well done. :D Can't wait to play the full game!

Roper Klacks 09-09-2010 07:17 AM

I'm playing the full game. I must say, its really impressive what Frictional Games made with Amnesia. I'm a huge Penumbra fan, but they took Amnesia to the next level, Penumbra now feels like a test to the real deal. I'm only a couple of hour in, but the water sequence has to be one of the most intense moments i ever had in a video game. Sound design is amazing, it really is. It sets a new standard in the industry.

Remember when Capcom and Konami were fighting for the horror genre with Resident Evil and Silent Hill? Well, forget them, Frictional are the new kings.

SamandMax 09-09-2010 08:56 AM

Yeah, I'm nearly done it now and it keeps getting better and better. This isn't just a great adventure game, it's really one of the best games of the year.

QDream 09-09-2010 11:14 AM

Don't know about you guys but I'm stuck at the very beginning.. What the heck am I supposed to do after reading the letter written by Daniel himself? There is nowhere to go..