You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Need some help finding a game...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2010, 07:05 PM   #1

Default Need some help finding a game...

Okay, I've been searching almost all day, and I'm finally giving up, hoping someone here can help.

A few years ago, I read a review on a game, and it sounded really interesting...but I never got around to trying it. I've been thinking about it a bit lately, and I want to try it now, but I can't remember what it was called.

I can't remember much, but I'll do my best.

I read the review maybe three years ago, and it was already a somewhat old game by then, but not TOO old...I'm thinking maybe somewhere between 2000 and 2005.

Your character is trapped in a village or town, very gray/brown looking game, it was 3D I believe, though I can't remember if it was first person or third (leaning more towards first). Very Lovecraftian looking sort of village, lots of alleyways and cobblestones and stuff.

It's kind of difficult to recall how the game actually looked, because there were only a few screenshots, and they were thumbnails only. I remember the review docking points, saying that the graphics were a bit behind the times.

I remember the review making a big deal about how the game breaks the fourth wall quite a bit...I think it said there were guardians who roamed the village, and sometimes they would talk directly to you, the player, instead of your character, and how it was a mindblowing thing for a videogame (it sounded pretty cool to me, anyway).

I remember one part of the review mentioned a scenario where they were talking another character in the game into escaping the village, and the next day when they went to meet them at the train, there was a guardian instead who basically told the player not to do it again.

Pretty sure it was only released for Windows, and didn't have any sequels.

Some other details that I'm not very sure of:

I think the town was trapped in perpetual darkness...I remember the sky being dark in most of the screenshots...maybe even purple?

I think I remember one screenshot being a glowing ball of light, which was a character you could talk to...but really not sure on this one.

I think the guardians, and maybe other characters too, may have worn masks.

Really not sure on this one, but I think the game had a foreign developer/title (possibly German or French?), but that might've just been what Wikipedia had it listed as, and it may have had an alternate English title.

I remember it being sort of dark/gritty, but also kind of an artsy MirrorMask type thing going on.

I'm actually not even sure if this was even an adventure game.

Would be great if anyone can help me out, I'd love to give this game a shot (if it can still be found). Wish I could give more info, but I really can't recall much more.

And no, it wasn't Syberia.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:13 AM   #2
Senior Passer-by

Hi, Asaki! Welcome to AG!

When I had started to read your description of a mysterious game, one title immediately sprung to my mind and after having read the whole post, I would put all my money on Arcatera: The Dark Brotherhood, a strange combination of adventure and RPG.

Be careful though if that's what your looking for - I haven't played the game but it didn't fare too well in reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asaki View Post
And no, it wasn't Syberia.

I like your sense of humo(u)r.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:52 AM   #3

That sounds very close, but I'm not quite sure that's the game.

I don't see any mention of roaming guardians who break the fourth wall, and it doesn't look like the sort of game that would have a train in it. That was the one thing from the review that stuck out most in my mind.

And I remember the game in question having a much more favorable review than all of the scathing ones this one does.

Thanks for the money, though

Quote:
Originally Posted by zobraks View Post

I like your sense of humo(u)r.
I asked in the chat room where I had originally been linked the review, and someone asked if that was it...I was really tired of having that game pop up in every single search I tried >_<
Old 02-12-2010, 10:39 AM   #4

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Could it be the doomed Limbo of the Lost? Or maybe Dead Reefs?
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 02-12-2010, 10:50 AM   #5

Or perhaps Pathologic?

http://justadventure.com/reviews/Pat...athologic.shtm
http://www.adventuregamers.com/article/id,704/p,2
Old 02-12-2010, 11:27 AM   #6
Random

I don't know what game it is, but I'm interested in check it, seems pretty cool lol. If you find out, please tell us!

And welcome to the forum!

Playing: Alan Wake
Last Finished: Black Mirror 2 (4/5)
Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:42 AM   #7

Keep 'em coming guys, thanks =)

In the meantime, I'm keeping myself busy with Icom's Macventures (though the color Apple IIGS versions).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
Could it be the doomed Limbo of the Lost? Or maybe Dead Reefs?
Neither of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanparkerfilms View Post
I saw that one, and I totally thought that was it, but it's not =/

Does sound like a cool game, though.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:38 AM   #8
"But... It's Pink."

I was thinking "Pathologic" too... I love that game! The section you mentioned...
Quote:
I remember one part of the review mentioned a scenario where they were talking another character in the game into escaping the village, and the next day when they went to meet them at the train, there was a guardian instead who basically told the player not to do it again.
... I'm sure I remember from Pathologic. Are you certain that's not it? If not, I'm out of ideas. Sorry.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:34 AM   #9
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanparkerfilms View Post
Or perhaps Pathologic?
Quote:
I saw that one, and I totally thought that was it, but it's not =/
I suggest you start playing Pathologic: I asked some experts at another forum about this mysterious game of yours and both of those who answered were sure it was Pathologic.

Here's a trailer you should watch.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:00 AM   #10

Did a little more digging, and finally found the review I remember reading before:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/r_pathologic_pc

You guys were right, it was Patholigic, thanks.

Weird thing though, that review is definitely the text I remember reading...but the screenshots don't ring any bells at all. Maybe they ended up replacing them at a later date or something?
Old 02-13-2010, 06:34 PM   #11

FYI Ice Pick Lodge's follow up to Pathologic, The Void is $5 for a limited time on Direct2Drive

Playing Pathologic was an interesting experience. Pretty overwhelming at first when I started as the Haruspicus, lots of bars you have to manage. Never did manage to finish it, I should boot it up sometime .
Old 02-14-2010, 07:23 AM   #12
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

I've never heard of this game before but it sounds really interesting, I might actually try it out. I love games that take on really ambitious ideas, even if they can't quite pull them off.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 02-14-2010, 08:36 AM   #13
"But... It's Pink."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandersnatch View Post

Playing Pathologic was an interesting experience. Pretty overwhelming at first when I started as the Haruspicus, lots of bars you have to manage. Never did manage to finish it, I should boot it up sometime .
I didn't manage to finish it either. Still an incredible experience, though.