You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2010, 12:01 PM   #1

Default L.A. Noire

There was an old thread in the adventure forums, but I thought this should really go here. Even though it, so far, sounds very adventure-ish, there is talk of things like shootouts so until we know more I'm going to assume there is going to be more action that could fit in a typical adventure.

Anyway, it's a PS3/360 game (previously PS3 exclusive, no indication either way of a PC port) by Team Bondi (the Getaway) and published by Rockstar.
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/106/1067305p1.html

Bullet points from that article:

- Set in Los Angeles in 1947, the city is said to be historically accurate
- You start out as a beat cop that wants to clean up LA and the corrupt police department
- You have to work your way through the police department with stints in traffic, vice, etc.
- You have to search and find clues to solve cases
- Crime scenes appear natural and evidence is not highlighted, you will have to look carefully for clues, details about clues are written down in a notebook
- Interviews will be an important part of the investigations, you will have to read the faces of the suspects to see how the interview is going, you can use clues from the notebook to refute claims during the interview
- The previewers weren't shown any of the gun play, so how that works, and to what extent it will be part of the game, is unknown at this point

Much of this sounds really interesting, but I could easily see this actually ending up with a lot of run and gun game play where you have to go through a warehouse and kill 60 gang members. I really hope they don't go that way, not that it would ruin the game, I just think I would enjoy it more if it didn't devolve into another run around and shoot everything that moves sandbox.

The game is apparently almost done, so it could feasibly be out by christmas this year, though they didn't announce anything close to a date.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:17 PM   #2
Banned User

What mafia-esque game wouldn't have run 'n gun gameplay to kill a hefty amount of gang members? Unless you were expecting something along the lines of the Mobsters/Mafia Wars/Gangster City gameplay. haha

Anyways, I think the game will turn out really great. Being very satisfied with Grand Theft Auto IV and the short playtest with Red Dead Redemption. I have a good feeling that this game will turn out great!
Old 02-08-2010, 08:07 PM   #3

This has the potential to be so damn awesome, especially the investigation and interrogation aspects. The setting too promises to be mysterious and atmospheric. (Atleast hopefully. )

Game Informer shows off some of the art from the cover here.

Last edited by D.C.; 02-08-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:19 PM   #4
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

I'm a little worried that some of the people behind The Getaway are doing it - I don't have complete trust in them - but I have faith that when Rockstar got involved, they really pushed this team to make as great a game as possible.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 02-08-2010, 10:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadji-kun View Post
What mafia-esque game wouldn't have run 'n gun gameplay to kill a hefty amount of gang members? Unless you were expecting something along the lines of the Mobsters/Mafia Wars/Gangster City gameplay. haha

Anyways, I think the game will turn out really great. Being very satisfied with Grand Theft Auto IV and the short playtest with Red Dead Redemption. I have a good feeling that this game will turn out great!
I have no idea what you are talking about, who ever said this game had anything to do with mafia/gangs? In fact, everything leans towards the opposite, while they haven't explicitly stated the plot of the game it has been described as "a detective story" having you solve "a series of murders". It's said their major influences were the writings of Raymond Chandler, Dashiell Hammett and James Ellroy, none of which were known to throw in a big gangster element to the story. Based on the source material I just hope any action sequences are shorter, more harried and more intimate than a prolonged run and gun killing spree like you find in games like GTA and it's ilk as it just fits with the inspirational source material.

Also, the game is being made by Team Bondi who was founded by the guy who wrote The Getaway, Rockstar is only the publisher.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamandMax View Post
I'm a little worried that some of the people behind The Getaway are doing it - I don't have complete trust in them - but I have faith that when Rockstar got involved, they really pushed this team to make as great a game as possible.
Other than McNamera, I'm not so sure he brought more than one or two others from Team Soho.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:37 AM   #7
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadji-kun View Post
Where did you get the idea that L.A. Noire is about gangsters or the mafia?

Quote:
Rockstar is merely the publisher, not the developer.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 02-09-2010, 02:31 PM   #8
Banned User

I guess this doesn't scream some involvement of the mob in the game?

- Set in Los Angeles in 1947, the city is said to be historically accurate
- You start out as a beat cop that wants to clean up LA and the corrupt police department

Geez, you guys are taking my post ever so seriously.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:52 PM   #9

You might want to study the Mob a bit more, especially in L.A. This isn't New York or even Chicago, mob corruption was busted a decade before and by the late 40's the mob was dwindling and bosses were on the ropes. If they wanted to do a mob game in LA they would have based it in the late 30s when mayors and corruption were being toppled.

Corruption can happen without the Mob.

Of note on the subject is the Black Dahlia murder, which happened in 1947, and aside from some off the wall theory/book involving Bugsy Siegel that holds no water with the evidence on hand, there is no suspected mob involvement.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:16 PM   #10

You seem to know your stuff!

Rockstar has confirmed a Fall release, according to IGN.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:45 PM   #11

I finished reading the L.A. Noire Article on my new Game Informer Magazine yesterday afternoon, and here is my impression about it.

I must say that this game sounds fascinating. It looks like a classic mystery adventure game, combined with some action for the people who like to shoot bad guys in their games, which is fine by me. What really interests me is that you get to investigate crime scenes, and that you have to search them thoroughly, and also question witnesses and suspects, just like a real police detective. The graphics look great too, and very realistic.

I recently tried Grand Theft Auto IV, and I could not understand why that game got so much praise. Granted, the mini-games were fun to play, such as taking your potential girlfriend bowling, for example. But, after failing some of the main plot missions, and having to start all over on them, I just got fed up with it.

Hopefully, this new game from Rockstar will be great, because I am definitely intrigued by it.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:32 PM   #12

New Screens! http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archi...l-a-noire.aspx

I think Kadji-whatever was just confused over the fact that the game almost looks like Mafia 2. lol

http://gameinformer.com/cfs-filesyst...3_5F00_047.jpg
Not exactly a confident screenshots, but I really have faith that this will be an interesting game.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:34 PM   #13
merely human

Will it have day/night cycles like GTA IV? That would add to the atmosphere.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 02-15-2010, 06:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
Will it have day/night cycles like GTA IV? That would add to the atmosphere.
Would be interesting. Like you are on the trail of a murderer, and you have to find him before nightfall. Else, he will kill again.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:54 PM   #15

Visually looks very similar to Mafia 2. Hopefully the gameplay will be completely different, because it will be almost impossible to beat Illusion Softworks (now 2K Czech, stupid name...) in their own game.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:02 PM   #16

I really hope there is an option to play this in b&w.
Attached Images

Old 02-17-2010, 12:27 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns11 View Post
I really hope there is an option to play this in b&w.
You can do that with any game. Go into your TV's/Monitors setup and turn Saturation down to 0. Done.

lol
Old 03-03-2010, 07:10 AM   #18

I have just finished reading the cover article in GameInformer magazine. This is just the type of adventure game I have been waiting for. With Heavy Rain out now and this game, LA Noire, I hope these two games become the gold standard future adventure games aspire to be like.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:42 PM   #19
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
With Heavy Rain out now and this game, LA Noire, I hope these two games become the gold standard future adventure games aspire to be like.
By that I don't think you mean the typical tight-arsed, point & click, inventory puzzle, cat hair & pancake syrup, inflatable rubber duck, poke-pencil-in-keyhole-to-push-key-out-onto-newspaper-below-to-get-key, Templar/Egyptian/Lone-character-on-unpopulated-island adventure game, right? Right?
Old 03-04-2010, 07:29 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
By that I don't think you mean the typical tight-arsed, point & click, inventory puzzle, cat hair & pancake syrup, inflatable rubber duck, poke-pencil-in-keyhole-to-push-key-out-onto-newspaper-below-to-get-key, Templar/Egyptian/Lone-character-on-unpopulated-island adventure game, right? Right?
My motto is "Evolve or die."