You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2010, 02:36 AM   #1

Default Heavy Rain Demo

Anyone got the demo?

I got it following this: (don't know if it still works, need PS3 PAL account)
http://kotaku.com/5464839/want-the-h...-now-heres-how

I thought the demo was great, it's clearly an evolution of indigo prophecy. Great atmosphere, even the QTE fight was fun and not as distracting as the QTEs in Indigo Prophecy.

The 2 main characters playable in the demo seemed interesting, specially the first one private detective, I tried different ways to do the interrogation and it really played out different, but dont know if the outcome will have any actual importance in the future.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:06 AM   #2

I liked it a whole lot. Dripping with atmosphere and cinematic to the max, but those are basically givens.

Both chapters did an exceptional job setting the scene really fast with the bare minimum of story context or setup. I thought the second chapter had a strong Police Quest vibe in a weird sort of way. It's nice to play an adventure with exceptional graphics too. The production values are amazing. I had a couple of concerns, though. Like the constant feeling of being rushed, especially during conversations. The swirling dialogue trees didn't help either. Also a little more interactivity would have been nice too. (Plus I don't get why you have to constantly press R2 to move the character.) Those are just minor problems, though. The positives definitely out weigh them. Listening to the character's thoughts make up for the lack of traditional hot spots too.

I'm most definitely impressed. There's really no other game like it...
Old 02-06-2010, 10:33 AM   #3

I enjoyed it, though the controls are a little clunky, and the swirling conversation text is incredibly hard to read on a standard TV, especially the buttons that indicate what response to give.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:08 AM   #4

It seems to be a good follow up to Indigo Prophecy. The quick time events are a lot better this time around, more integrated into the game. However, I was really hoping for more interactivity in the environments. The part when you are in a victim's mother's hotel room, you can't even go into the bathroom. Also, the dialog choices seemed rather limited. The right and wrong dialog choices seemed really obvious. Speaking of dialog, the voice acting was all around average. In most games voice acting of this quality would be passable, but for a game that's focus is so much on immersion and plot, stilted dialog is inexcusable. This is especially annoying because Indigo Prophecy had rather good voice acting, I felt. Also, the controls are terrible. There is no good reason why any game should require the player to hold down L2 to move. Although, maybe it is something that I'll get used to once I play the game. But, from what I've seen in the demo, I really can't see buying Heavy Rain-- a rental definitely.

Ok fine, I probably will still buy it just to support original games.

Even though it looks like Heavy Rain might be flawed, the time I spent playing the demo was more enjoyable than playing something like Modern Warfare 2.
As a young boy, when you get splashed by a mud puddle on the way to school, you wonder if you should go home and change, but be late for school, or go to school the way you are; dirty and soaking wet. Well, while he tried to decide, I drove by and splashed him again.
- Jack Handey
Old 02-06-2010, 11:16 AM   #5

Is this a sorta "prequel stand-alone exclusive" demo, or is it an actual part of the -soon to be released- game ?
Memento Mori/Heavy Rain-Taxidermist
Replay: ---
Favorite Adventure: Broken Sword - Shadow of the Templars
waiting to be played: Sanitarium, Perry Rhodan, Tex Murphy FMV Series
Old 02-06-2010, 11:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiocfaidh View Post
Is this a sorta "prequel stand-alone exclusive" demo, or is it an actual part of the -soon to be released- game ?
It's part of the game, probably one of the first scenes with each character.

The R2 movement thing is weird at the beginning (probably as something to do with using the left stick to control where your looking...) but I got used to it. The game has no run button so the controls will probably never be a problem.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:26 PM   #7

I liked the story and the fight scene was pretty intense but the whole thing was a bit slow for me. I'm quite impatient and the slow walking around was just annoying.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:10 PM   #8

I loved the demo. The game its going to be a masterpiece..
Old 02-06-2010, 04:06 PM   #9

I didn't have any problem with the voice acting to be honest. Though I guess I should expect a big level of nitcpicking since we're on an advanture gamers forum.

This game is everything I hoped it would be. I don't mind having only mostly relevant things as hotspots - this isn't a traditional point & click game after all.

The controls are excellent as well. Not clunky or troublesome at all. Once you get the hang of it you can act quite convincingly with the charaters, mixing looking around with walking around etc.

Nothing sort of revolutional. As someone above fittingly said, no other game like this exists. I hope this is just the beginning of a big step forward in mixing games & storytelling on a new level.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:34 PM   #10

My folks came around today while I was replaying the demo, they truly thought I was watching a movie.

I've replayed several times now and I'm even more impressed with every play through. Especially the subtle variations in the plot, sometimes not so subtle variations too. It will be interesting to see how all these little differences change the story. I'm getting used to the swirling dialogue trees too, but think a more organized system like Mass Effect would've been easier to make a decision in real time. It makes sense for the thoughts swirling through his head, but not so much with conversation.

Last edited by D.C.; 02-06-2010 at 06:39 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:16 PM   #11
fov
Rattenmonster

I wish I had a PS3.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:39 PM   #12

Dang. PC gamer only here, been playing adventure games since 1990. I may have to actually buy a PS3 for this if its good. Wish it was on PC so bad.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:41 PM   #13

This might sound odd, but I think my favourite moment in the entire demo was the conversation with the two police officers by the coffee. It perfectly captured Jayden's social awkwardness trying to bond with these guys. It made him feel more human in an instant. This is the sort of attention to detail I really like about Heavy Rain.

Did anyone else feel the close up faces on the loading screens were all kinds of creepy in an uncanny valley sort of way? I felt compelled to look away. I was also looking at the other Heavy Rain thread buried a couple of pages back and noticed how accurate the game has translated from initial concept art. Stunningly beautiful.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:03 PM   #14
Welsh Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov View Post
I wish I had a PS3.
Me too
Old 02-06-2010, 08:15 PM   #15
merely human

I swear I'm gonna borrow money from my mom to finally get my PS3 Skinny for this game. Especially considering Splinter Cell: Conviction doesn't launch until March (not that that matters when it comes to Heavy Rain).
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 02-07-2010, 01:44 AM   #16
Game Designer

I quite liked it. From a design perspective it's achieving what was intended.
I can't wait to get my hands on the full game.

Cheers,
Myles Blasonato.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:32 AM   #17

I completely agree with D.C., I liked this "stupid" little talk very much and I think it is an essential element for the character. He is a real character and not virtual. Im in love with this game!
Old 02-07-2010, 08:06 AM   #18
Random

Ohh, man. I'm so looking forward for that game. Unfortunately I can't download the demo, but I've watched a the demo gameplay, here, and it looks awesome!

I'm definitely going to buy it!

Playing: Alan Wake
Last Finished: Black Mirror 2 (4/5)
Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.

Last edited by Denaron; 02-07-2010 at 08:15 AM.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:21 AM   #19

This and Brutal Legend almost make me want to buy a PS3. Almost. All I need is one more game as an excuse...

As for Heavy Rain I must admit it seems very promising. And yes, I did love Fahrenheit.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:56 AM   #20
Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by the gnome View Post
This and Brutal Legend almost make me want to buy a PS3. Almost. All I need is one more game as an excuse...
As a Metal Gear fan, Metal gear Solid 4: guns of the patriots was a damn good reason for me to buy my ps3, hehe. Actually, I've got only that game, console games are too expensive around here.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves seems to be a good excuse too, I'm thinking to buy it.

MGS4 Review (HD)

Uncharted 2 Review (HD)

I hope those games bring you to the dark side of the force.

Playing: Alan Wake
Last Finished: Black Mirror 2 (4/5)
Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.

Last edited by Denaron; 02-07-2010 at 03:28 PM.