You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2010, 07:04 PM   #41
MoP
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadji-kun View Post
lol, this is a thread on the demo right?
What HaroldO said, but it's also a pretty silly thing to say that a game that isn't out yet "has changed the way we play games and tell a story". I think that's a statement you can make in hindsight, after it had actually done that...

In any case, being a fan of past Quantic Dream productions, and seeing the mostly positive feedback so far, I'm keeping my hopes up for an eventual PC version. Or at least their next game being multi-platform (Omikron sequel, I'm looking at you).

Glad to hear the story is supposedly consistent this time, hopefully they learned from their mistakes in Fahrenheit in that department.
Not a fan of QTE, but I can see how they fit into a game focused on 'cinematic feel'. Would be nice if they'd find some more involving mechanics to use in the future though.
All in all, looking forward to at least 'watching' someones walkthrough of the damn thing

I don't get that "hype because of PS3 exclusivity" thing either.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:22 AM   #42

I'm unable to download the demo at the moment, so I might just wait for the final game. Not long now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoP View Post
Would be nice if they'd find some more involving mechanics to use in the future though.
I've read a lot of the impressions on other forums and most people seem to be surprised by how involving the context-sensitive actions are. Clearly the way they have been implemented is more advanced than anything we've labelled "QTE" previously.

I've talked about this extensively elsewhere, but I don't think the vision for Heavy Rain could've been fulfilled with a standard set of play mechanics. Game mechanics are created to be reused -- in an action/adventure game, you learn to jump and shoot at the beginning, then you jump and shoot all the way to the end. Limiting Heavy Rain to a handful of base mechanics would've compromised the narrative severely. Quantic Dream made the game in the only way possible, to stay true to their vision.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:27 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaid View Post
Revolutionary? Really? What makes it unique, reliance on quick time events and good 3D visuals?
It tells a story with much more respect to the player and maturity than any other game I've seen, in addition to having unbelievably good visuals and atmosphere. Especially on a gaming console as a mass-market, non-indie game.

Try it out if you don't believe me. Don't waste your time being too cynical.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:06 AM   #44

Let me first get this out in the open: I haven't played the demo yet, so my comment is based on interviews, previews and videos.

That being said, I see a lot of people calling the gameplay Quick Time Events, but that seems too simplistic, as far as I know.

The gameplay has some QTE to it, but that's only in sequences that are supposed to replace "physical gameplay", like combat, dancing and driving. The rest of the gameplay is interaction with hotspots, more less like in traditional adventure games. The difference is, that HR is more about choices and less about puzzles.

It might be, that the choices are not interesting and/or there are too few of them, but the game, from what we have been told, is not just QTE. My guess is that the gameplay is 40-50% QTE and 50-60% interaction with hotspots, judging from videos etc.

Last edited by Jannik; 02-10-2010 at 12:27 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:55 AM   #45

And besides, the QTE stuff that's in there seems judging by the demo really well put together. The fight scene in the demo was really cool, and had loads of different endings depending on which segments you did well on and which you didn't.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:23 AM   #46

Some interesting things from the demo, in the Sleazy Place, you don't have to talk to the guy at the front desk, no internal monologue or refusal to go up the stairs by Shelby. In the same scene, instead of following the guy and starting the fight scene you can walk to the stairs and it asks you if you want to stay or go.

With Jayden I wanted to see if you could die, so I went and stood on the train tracks but the train never came again.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:27 AM   #47
LA-S-LE

Just finished the press version of Heavy Rain and I'm quite amazed with the game. A great thriller. While it doesn't really change anything in the gameplay department, it offers a lot - a lot to see and a lot to click. Sometimes too much, but the variety of events compensates it. Heavy Rain will become modern classics.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:04 AM   #48

I wrote some impressions of my playthroughs through the demo here if anyone fancies a look:

http://alternativemagazineonline.co.uk/2010/02/09/game-preview-heavy-rain-demo-impressions-playstation-3/

It was interesting how things played out from one playthrough to the next, although the game does have hidden rules (e.g at the crime scene, the train will only ever go past when Jayden is far away from the tracks, ensuring he can't be knocked down).

Can't wait to review the finished game in a few weeks!
Old 02-11-2010, 04:49 PM   #49

Just a heads up, PSN appears to have the demo available now without the need for the promo code any more.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:54 AM   #50

I played the demo last night. I'd pretty much given up all hope on a QTE game being any good. This was really good. I imagine I'll get it eventually. The fight scene was so awesome, it really had me excited but it wasn't too difficult and no game over if he got hit a couple of times. I also liked the crazy sci-fi clue-finding parts but the normal walking speed got a little bothersome.