Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   iPad for adventures (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/26217-ipad-adventures.html)

Lucien21 01-27-2010 01:12 PM

iPad for adventures

Apple launches it's infamous Tablet device.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/

Basically a giant Ipod Touch it runs on the same software so all the current iPod adventure games will work either in a window or upscaled to full screen.

A 9.7 inch touchscreen, 1024x768 display, 16, 32 or 64GB of storage ($499,$599 or $699 for the wifi only - the 3G version is more expensive)

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/4...b12600x400.jpg

I wonder what the current games Myst, Broken Sword, MI etc will look like scaled up and how it play on it.

It is a perfect device for playing adventure games, but will anyone develop for it?

Linque 01-27-2010 01:32 PM

I don't see how this piece of hardware is any more perfect than anything else that has a touch screen. Or any of the million tablets or whatever you want to call them that are going to be released in the next couple of years.

kadji-kun 01-27-2010 03:07 PM

Sorry, no Pen, no buy. I will not buy a tablet that doesn't take care of the most useful thing given to man. The ability to write. Its too big to be just used as a touch device. Its too small to feel like a decent laptop.

It is missing everything you need. Just a glorified ebook.

It doesn't have flash, it doesn't have a pen, it doesn't have hdmi capabilities, it doesn't have bluetooth (keyboard, mouse), it fails as an artist platform.....this fails as a decent device. Just stick to your kindle.

youfightlikeadairyfarmer 01-27-2010 06:45 PM

Wow, I thought this was going to be like an actual Mac computer with OSX for people who actually like touch screens kinda thing. But 64GB HD for $700? I knew it would be overpriced (cuz yknow... Apple) but this looks like it's literally a giant (non-portable) iPod touch... what the hell is it for that anyone would want this for that price?

Quote:

Sorry, no Pen, no buy. I will not buy a tablet that doesn't take care of the most useful thing given to man. The ability to write. Its too big to be just used as a touch device. Its too small to feel like a decent laptop.

It doesn't have flash, it doesn't have a pen, it doesn't have hdmi capabilities, it doesn't have bluetooth (keyboard, mouse), it fails as an artist platform.....this fails as a decent device. Just stick to your kindle.
Double wow. I don't know what kind of person will actually buy this.

Agustin 01-27-2010 07:23 PM

Echoing my post at Just Adventure:

Quote:

I've made up my mind and I truly think this may have been Apple's smartest move ever. Most people today are using their notebooks in the same way they would be using the iPad. Just think about it: the top three things you do with notebooks are browse the web, edit documents and watch movies. Only tech professionals perform heavier tasks such as programing or photoshopping. To most people though, notebooks have always been overkill - but they were the only option until recently to lug around your work and entertainment. The iPad offers the same features you need in this regard with longer battery life, much nicer and portable form factor and better ease of use. As for netbooks... seriously, they're just a thing of the moment, a cooler alternative for people that haven't figured out whether they need a notebook or not. I say today has marked the decline of the netbook market and the future of notebooks in general remains uncertain - my guess is the iPad and competing tablets will rise at the same pace smartphones did and take over in no time. Heck, the iPad will even eat into Apple's very own notebook market.

I'm 100% convinced now that this is the future of portable computing.
Everybody said the same thing about the iPhone when it was released - who the hell is going to need it? Today, the iPhone is an unstoppable force that has literally changed the perception of cellphones and competitors had to follow Apple's trail. Like I said, I believe the iPad will change perception of notebooks in general and people will start demanding this type of device. I see it everywhere, people taking their cumbersome laptops to cafés to read the news or login to Facebook... or carrying them around just to type some stuff. Some own a notebook for the sake of watching movies alone and you know it's true. This is all already a thing of the past, there's no question in my mind. For the average user, tablets are bound to replace notebooks, and it's going to be eerily quick.

kadji-kun 01-27-2010 09:06 PM

When the iPhone came out, it was the best Smartphone out. iPad isn't the best Tablet out, and that is what people one. Big difference.

Not to mention, the first iPhone wasn't so great either. It was until the second generation came then did it actually become a quality product. Same thing will happen for the iPad.

Why would someone one a device that's smaller than an average laptop but bigger than a iPhone? To read ebooks or to draw on. The iPad is only good for ebooks, and loses its artistic merits for failing to include a pen. The worst part about writing on a iPhone is writing with your finger. Its stupid and clumsy.

What else can the iPad be used for? Adventure games. It is quite a good platform for such a genre. Its small enough to be portable, but large enough to be enjoyable. Imagine playing Broken Sword on it? It would be great.

People want a simple fully functional OS for such a device, yet it has no multitasking either. That is an issue if you want to us it as a work device. The cool thing about my tablet pc was that it was made for work and play. It doesn't try to be overly simple where it limits the average to hardcore user.

I'll just wait for the second generation if it does well.

@Agustin: Actually the top users of Apple products are Artists. Not to mention, you can't even run flash on the tablet. So that alienates web users. No Hulu, no netflix. That also covers movie goers.

Apple just wants money. They are a money whore. You buy there movies, music, adapters, etc. It just is a horrible device that focuses on trends instead of community satisfaction.

Oh and if its a moviegoer tablet. It should include a DVD player. It doesn't. Therefore, its going to be expensive and inaccessible to a REAL and casual moviegoer.

I can make a better Tablet. But guess what? It won't do well, because Apple has such a family of idiots that will bash anything that isn't apple.

The success of the iPhone/iTouch was not because it was a great device, but because of the App Store. For the iPad to really succeed, it will need more than just the App Store.

AdrianWerner 01-27-2010 09:21 PM

The success of iPhone happened because when it debuted it was a huge jump ahead compared to competition. It was something new and something fresh. iPad on the other hand is just like every other tablet on the market, only far more limited.

It won't get popular enough for dev to start making games specificaly for it, so it will just be upscaled iPhone games.

And most of all, it completely fails at being the "Kindle killer" mac fans were hyping it to be. Ebook wise it's exactly like every other notebook or tablet out there and they all are just crap compared to any e-ink device.

So iPad so far looks more like new Apple TV than new iPhone

kadji-kun 01-27-2010 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdrianWerner (Post 537097)
The success of iPhone happened because when it debuted it was a huge jump ahead compared to competition. It was something new and something fresh. iPad on the other hand is just like every other tablet on the market, only far more limited.

Thats an opinion and not a fact. The hardware is only as useful as the software on it. Without the APP store, the iPhone would have failed.

Linque 01-28-2010 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kadji-kun (Post 537095)
The worst part about writing on a iPhone is writing with your finger. Its stupid and clumsy.

I'm not sure I agree with this. Writing with a finger might be just as quick as writing with a pen once you get used to it, if you have a big enough screen to write on. Drawing and doing other tasks that require precision are done much better with a pen, however.

kadji-kun 01-28-2010 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linque (Post 537106)
I'm not sure I agree with this. Writing with a finger might be just as quick as writing with a pen once you get used to it, if you have a big enough screen to write on. Drawing and doing other tasks that require precision are done much better with a pen, however.

Again, dumb and clumsy.

Linque 01-28-2010 01:40 AM

What part of it makes it dumb or stupid, other than your general dislike of Apple or people who might find writing with a finger useful?

If a pen wasn't universally used and required to write on paper due to the preciseness and ease of use of a pen compared to finger paint, writing with your finger would seem much more logical and natural than using some artificial tube of lead/ink.

kadji-kun 01-28-2010 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linque (Post 537114)
What part of it makes it dumb or stupid, other than your general dislike of Apple or people who might find writing with a finger useful?

If a pen wasn't universally used and required to write on paper due to the preciseness and ease of use of a pen compared to finger paint, writing with your finger would seem much more logical and natural than using some artificial tube of lead/ink.

When did I say I disliked Apple. I have plenty of Apple devices. We aren't trained to write with our fingers, but a utensil. Dumb as in pointless, and clumsy as in trying to write with your left hand when you are a right handed person. IS IT SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND?

How is writing down notes with your finger appropriate or useful? Call me crazy, but thats like building a house with a bulldozer.

Oh and a history lesson. Those that wrote things with fingers generally had cave walls to paint on. So I guess a limited space is even more useful? Welcome to the year 2010. We've come a long way.

orient 01-28-2010 03:13 AM

I'm sure games will work a lot better on the iPad than the iPod because of the extra screen real estate. And it's going to be excellent for reading books on, as well a number of other activities. Unfortunately, it would need a pen for me to warrant spending money on it. It could have been an awesome digital sketch pad, but as it stands, it's just a cool piece of technology that isn't quite worth it's price tag, at least for me anyway.

Agustin 01-28-2010 05:40 AM

I keep hearing this about other tablets and the iPad not even being the best. Would anyone care pointing me to a reasonably good tablet that already exists? I'm not saying others haven't tried but I can't think of any other tablet that has lasted enough to be relevant. We'll see what happens with the iPad but, so far, this has been the only device of this type with such exposure and presentation. Even if it doesn't sell as much as expected, Apple may have single-handedly kickstarted (for real) the tablet market and this quite a respectful achievement.

Also, I think the technocrats out there are grossly missing the point. They're complaining about things such as lack of multitasking, no USB port, a closed app environment… I can assure you that the average Joe couldn't care less about those things. We're not the actual market of this thing - none of the tech journalists out there and probably none of the people browsing this forum right now… It's the average people that are currently wondering why they need such a clumsy computer with this annoying thing called "an operative system" when they just need to browse the web and answer e-mails. Just think about it. To say the iPad has no artistic merits is moot. To say professionals won't be able to do their work either because there's no multitask, or pen, is also irrelevant.

Apple knows this and they knew how to approach this device. As a matter of fact, they may have been too cautious. It may have been the first time ever in the history of Apple keynotes when they weren't aggressive enough. Obviously, Apple can't say "you need the iPad instead of notebooks" because they would be slashing their own products. However, it's no coincidence that very recently they moved their low-end 13'' Macbook to the Pro line. I'm certain this has been a calculated move and it will work: the perception of notebooks will be that of devices for professionals and the iPad for general consumers. Again, it's difficult for us techies to note the difference.

Finally, if you have the time give this article at Daring Fireball a read: The iPad Big Picture. It's extremely insightful and mentions something that everybody is failing to point out: the hardware capabilities of the iPad and Apple's potential strategy for the market.

Intense Degree 01-28-2010 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agustin (Post 537144)
... the actual market of this thing - … It's the average people that are currently wondering why they need such a clumsy computer with this annoying thing called "an operative system" when they just need to browse the web and answer e-mails.

That is a very good point.

There's no way this can compete with a laptop etc. but for people who just want to browse/email/maybe play a couple of simple games on a "bigger" screen, and that's probably a lot of people, this could be a good fit. The price means nothing as Apple are able to set it wherever they want for any of their products and people will still buy.

I wouldn't get one myself because, to me, it looks poor and having something that size which is so clearly limited is a complete waste of my time and money, but as Agustin said a lot of people don't want or understand anything more complicated and for those people this is a realistic alternative to a laptop/tablet as they don't want to use it for much anyway.

kuze 01-28-2010 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agustin (Post 537144)
Finally, if you have the time give this article at Daring Fireball a read: The iPad Big Picture. It's extremely insightful and mentions something that everybody is failing to point out: the hardware capabilities of the iPad and Apple's potential strategy for the market.

All this guy talks about is how fast it is, based on 20 minutes he spent with it, without offering actual comparisons with other existing tablets. He assumes that it's the best CPU out there, and that only Apple could have pulled this off. "Web pages render so fast it was hard to believe" - he is comparing the iPad with the iPhone; of course it's gonna be faster, it's huge in comparison and offers more room for better hardware. The fact alone that he is comparing it to iPod touch/iPhone shows that the iPad offers nothing else but a bigger screen and a faster core.

ArsTechnica has a much better article on the iPad, if anyone's interested.

Oh, and iWork without multitasking is rather useless, I for one constantly switch between the browser, a PDF reader and Pages/Word when writing a paper, or creating a presentation. The 4:3 screen is ridiculous for watching movies, and as for eBooks - you can get a Kindle for 1/3 of the price of the iPad.

Agustin 01-28-2010 06:30 AM

This article at Gizmodo illustrates my point even further: The iPad Is The Gadget We Never Knew We Needed

That said, I agree the ArsTechnica article was very good if a bit too close minded. They're analyzing this device from their technical point of view. We need psychologists talking about this thing. Remember, anyone who reads ArsTechnica, Gizmodo or any tech site is not the target of this product.

Also, the Apple A4 seems to be the best mobile CPU out there, but we'll confirm this when the comparisons arrive. Apple may already have the edge on this market, and this is what the Daring Fireball article was mostly pointing out.

HaroldO 01-28-2010 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kadji-kun (Post 537072)

I agree, and I even think it's supposed to be an awful e-book reader. From what I could tell the screen is just as hard in the eyes as a common monitor but I can be wrong about it since I've yet to test it.

I think I'll just get a Kindle (international) for e-books since I've already own a DS Lite and PSP 3000 for gaming.

dantebk 01-28-2010 09:11 AM

I was hoping it would be the next big thing for reading comic books, but since it doesn't even run flash, it probably won't be much more than a footnote in the digital comics movement.

tsa 01-28-2010 10:15 AM

Thanks to the App store and the fact that I could only get it with a T-Mobile abonnement (the 'one provider only and no SIM-lock free' prank is something Apple introduced here in NL) I didn't get an iPhone. Thanks to the App store and some other things I won't get the iPad either. I don't like to be totally locked in by Apple. If they ever start an App store for the Mac I'm back to Linux in a heartbeat.