You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure LucasArts Archive Collection

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2004, 08:15 AM   #21
Retired Buccaneer

I've never heard of an official VGA release of Maniac Mansion. I've only heard of the low-resolution and high-resolution EGA versions for various systems (as well as the Nintendo ports, but those aren't important).

Here are screenshots of every version of Maniac Mansion (except for the Japanese-language Nintendo port, which is not VGA).

If your version doesn't look like any of these, could you please post screenshots of it?

--
Also, Loom for FM Towns was another unique version. It was a straight CD-ROM 256-color port of the 16-color disk version (with CD music added, but no voices).

The PC CD-ROM, by contrast, has voices but no CD music tracks. Much of the disk version's dialogue and cutscenes, which are preserved in the FM Towns version, are condensed or removed on the PC CD.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:08 AM   #22
8-Bit Spritemaster™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemiO
Yeah, you can just point ScummVM to the folder and it should run no problems.
You must be talking about the upgrade, as when I tried to do this with the prior version, I recall having problems. I forget what they exactly were, but I think they were something like weird colors and characters dissappearing on me.

But then again, I never really cared too much for MM, so it isn't any great loss.

Sky Warrior Bob
Old 03-26-2004, 11:34 AM   #23
Lucasarts Museum

Maybe this will be helpful: http://lucasarts.vintagegaming.org

The best version is the "Enhanced" version which is included in the Classic Adventures and also may be in one of the Kixx or Lucasarts rereleases. It is still only 16 colors though. The version included with DOTT is the standard version, you don't want to play that one unless you have to. If you really want to, just rename "maniac.ovl" to "maniac.exe" and run it.

There is no FM Towns version of Maniac Mansion.
Old 03-27-2004, 09:34 AM   #24
Retired Buccaneer

That site is great.

In addition to what it acknowledges it's missing, though, it's also missing the UK PS2 release of Escape from Monkey Island. That release had about the same cover design as the PC box art (as opposed to the even more horrendous US PS2 design).