You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure The Real-Life Lost Crown and Barrow Hill

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2010, 02:13 PM   #1

Default The Real-Life Lost Crown and Barrow Hill

Further to my previous thread detailing my audio interview with Jonathan Boakes and Matt Clark on my podcast The Investigative Author (available on iTunes and at http://www.tomrbaynham.com/), I am pleased to announce that I have uploaded a sizable collection of photographs of the real locations used to create the games The Lost Crown and Barrow Hill.

You can find the gallery of pictures by going to http://www.flickr.com/photos/tomrbaynham/ and choosing a set from the right hand side. I have grouped the photographs into as sensible sets as I can think of, with photographs of each location grouped together.

There are currently nearly 500 images of the real locations uploaded, and I'm uploading new images constantly.

I would welcome your comments on the photographs, and if you use Flickr and want to share the pictures let me know!
Old 01-15-2010, 02:57 PM   #2
Random

Ohhh man, awesome pics. It's really nice to know that those places in-game really exist!

I wonder where's gurney's hands in real life, hehe.

Could it be a ghost?

Playing: Alan Wake
Last Finished: Black Mirror 2 (4/5)
Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:50 PM   #3

Once I have all the pics uploaded, I'll have to search for other mysterious images like that!
Honestly, if you ever get the chance to go to Cornwall, don't hesitate. DO IT! I am sure you will have a fantastic time seeing all the locations. I had the game soundtracks playing on my stereo as I drove to the places too. Except for Looe and Polperro, the locations are deserted, so you are sure to have a very spooky time!
Old 01-15-2010, 05:42 PM   #4
Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by amunptah View Post
Once I have all the pics uploaded, I'll have to search for other mysterious images like that!
Honestly, if you ever get the chance to go to Cornwall, don't hesitate. DO IT! I am sure you will have a fantastic time seeing all the locations. I had the game soundtracks playing on my stereo as I drove to the places too. Except for Looe and Polperro, the locations are deserted, so you are sure to have a very spooky time!
Ohh man, that's sounds really cool. I'll certainly visit Cornwall someday.

Is anybody living in harbour cottage? I wonder who is brave enought to spend a night there after playing Lost crown, hehehe.

Playing: Alan Wake
Last Finished: Black Mirror 2 (4/5)
Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:11 PM   #5
Stalker of Britain

Oh gosh, that's one of the main reasons I want to go to England! I love the pictures, they are so beautiful. There was a guy on Facebook who put himself in Nigel's shoes, and took pictures of recognizable places from "The Lost Crown".
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 01-16-2010, 02:30 AM   #6
Lazy Bee

Thanks for the pictures amunptah. I have Polperro on my list of to-go-places for sure! Some day I'll have to visit Cornwall, it's so beautiful.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:47 AM   #7

What happens if you go there? Will you walk sort of stiff and say "oh...I would....like to...have lunch...now...".
Old 01-16-2010, 08:44 AM   #8

Or perhaps:
"Symbolic images... or ancient graffiti?
Deep, dark, swamp-like water
Helllooooo!
Is there anybody there?
I think I'll pass on the local delicacy.
Station Master!
There's something out there, something hidden...
Oh dear, the freaks are coming to town are they?"

Or my personal favourite:
"Saxton's old town hall was built around 1890."
Old 01-16-2010, 04:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by amunptah View Post
Or my personal favourite:
"Saxton's old town hall was built around 1890."
Not to mention "Next stop, Norway"!

Well, thanks a lot for the pics! I am so envious right now, you have no idea.

The real name of Harbour Cottage is "Studio Cottage"!! Is it an art studio?
Did you knock on the door? I realize it's terribly inappropriate to knock on someone's door just to get a peek at the interior of their house, but I wouldn't have resisted! Do you think that the people who live/work there actually know? I wonder if they ask themselves why the number of people taking pictures of their place suddenly peaked in July 2008
Furthermore, do the inhabitants of Polperro (Polperrans?) wonder why there's so many people hanging around town muttering "That's... very... odd..." to themselves?

Do I have any more silly questions? Not for now! Expect more in the near future =P
Old 01-17-2010, 01:16 AM   #10
Stalker of Britain

I second those questions! lol I'm sure the people of Polperro know Jonathan made a game based on the town, so they shouldn't be too surprised.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 01-17-2010, 07:56 AM   #11

Im sure Studio Cottage/Harbour Cottage is quite different inside, at least from what I have glimpsed through the windows. You probably know that in the game its all CG for the cottage interior, especially with that massive staircase and upper level! I mean, how do you fit that in the tiny cottage!
I've never been brave enough to knock, but maybe I will next time. I have spoken to the landlord at the Blue Peter inn but he had never heard of the game. The Blue Peter is up the steps you can see on the screen that shows the outside of The Bear, where the beer glasses are. The Bear is just a house in real life.
I spoke to a visitor to the area, by the lighthouse. She stays in Polperro every year. She thought I was a bit crazy for gushing about the game!
I also spoke to a lady inside Duloe Church who was cleaning. She sounded quite interested in seeing the game because she works in the church every week. It also has only a handful of worshippers, so she was hoping perhaps more people would start going there. I explained how a few puzzles worked in the game, and showed her where the photographs were taken for various scenes. I left her with the website address for the game, so perhaps she is playing as we speak.
The trouble for many of the areas is that more than half the property is holiday accommodation, so the towns are deserted in winter. Very few people are local local, most having moved from other parts of the country to retire.