Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   AG Community Playthrough #12: Gabriel Knight 1 (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/26111-ag-community-playthrough-12-gabriel-knight-1-a.html)

Bandersnatch 02-09-2010 09:31 PM

I really enjoyed GK1 overall, looking forward a lot to playing GK2. Here's hoping that GoG releases it soon.

Intense Degree 02-10-2010 03:57 AM

Just wondering...

Anyone for whom this was a first playthrough, or only first played this game within the last couple of years, how did you find the graphics? Personally they are no bar at all for me, but as I first played it in the 90's just wondering if anyone who has come along "new" to the game found them a problem?

Also @Bandersnatch - great username! :D

TheWorld 02-10-2010 06:14 AM

I just finished the game with 339 points.

Well... this is the third time i play gabriel knight and I still love it. Day 10 is a great conclusion. It has some fun puzzles (like summoning dr john) and a great ending.

Overall sins of the fathers is a masterpiece. Like Andrea said the game doesn't want to be an epic, like the other 2. This is the start of Gabriel's path as a Schattenjager and I don't think Jane could have done much better with the story.

Thank you Andrea for your insights on the game, which made me replay it again. A lot of thanks to all you guys too because playing a game like this is a lot funnier than playing alone and made me remembers the old times, when I used to play classics like Simon the Sorcerer with my friends over the phone.

Looking forward to GK2's playthrough :D

Fantasysci5 02-10-2010 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intense Degree (Post 538475)
Just wondering...

Anyone for whom this was a first playthrough, or only first played this game within the last couple of years, how did you find the graphics? Personally they are no bar at all for me, but as I first played it in the 90's just wondering if anyone who has come along "new" to the game found them a problem.

This was my first time playing it. At first, the very pixulated scenes put me off, but I didn't mind it so much after I saw that the conversation close ups were more detailed.

rottford 02-10-2010 07:27 PM

I think the graphics were brilliant for their time and still are brilliant today. Updated graphics don't necessarily equal better atmosphere. The atmosphere created by the graphics in the voodoo curio shop and St. Louis Cemetery No. 1 are especially beautiful. I truly felt like I was in New Orleans.

However, the imagery of Schloss Ritter in GK1 is nowhere near as fulfilling as the same castle is in GK2. While GK1 is excellent at making the player feel like he/she in New Orleans, GK2 does exceptionally well at making the player feel like he/she is in Bavaria.

inm8#2 02-10-2010 08:28 PM

GK1 is the greatest adventure game ever made. I love the sequels, but the first one is just so atmospheric and engrossing. Every scene is filled with some kind of dread.

M-E 02-12-2010 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rottford (Post 538573)
However, the imagery of Schloss Ritter in GK1 is nowhere near as fulfilling as the same castle is in GK2. While GK1 is excellent at making the player feel like he/she in New Orleans, GK2 does exceptionally well at making the player feel like he/she is in Bavaria.

Really? Then I already think I'm going to love GK2 so much more. Schloss Ritter was actually my favorite location in the game, just because I love old castles and their mysteries.

I still need to complete Day 10, I think I will do that tomorrow, so I can continue with GK2 as well. Is it downloadable somewhere? (Not on Steam and GoG :()

AndreaDraco83 02-15-2010 11:19 AM

Hey guys, I opened up a new thread for the GK2 playthrough but, of course, if someone has still to say something about the wonderful Sins of the Fathers this is the right place to do so! And, after then, we can safely start our GK2 playthrough!

Yay :D

Fantasysci5 02-18-2010 09:09 AM

I was in French today, and we were discussing about Louisiana. And we started talking about Voodoo, and all types of stuff that was in GK1. lol And I actually knew what they were talking about. :) We even mentioned the Voodoo Museum, etc.

Interplay 04-16-2012 04:40 PM

Forgive me if this is in the forums already, but GOG is going to have an interview with Jane Jensen about the GK games, etc., and they are offering people a chance to submit a question to her. If your question is chosen, you win the GOG game of your choice.

http://www.gog.com/news/ask_a_develo...gabriel_knight

(I'll post this in the discount thread, too - we don't really have a contest thread.)