You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Adventure Games Under Our Noses

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2010, 07:11 AM   #1

Default Adventure Games Under Our Noses

I am a HUGE fan of adventure games. Though I am new to this website, I am not new to adventure games. I love even the mediocre ones.

I have been disappointed in recent years by the lack of adventure game releases when compared to the golden age of previous decades. I am sure that I am not alone in this. However, I have noticed that there are adventure games right under our noses.

I have realized that a lot of recently released, hugely popular games are really adventure games in disguise. In some cases they are just adventure games with combat elements tacked on or RPG elements tacked on. Take for instance Dragon Age: Origins. To me the game is only 1/4 combat and the RPG elements can be largely ignored. One can mostly engage in the conversation and exploration in the game and ignore the rest. Fallout 3 is another example. It has great story, characters, and exploration elements, but it has that combat and RPG stuff.

My solution for those is to get the PC versions of the game and play them on God mode if possible. I played Fallout 3 entirely in God mode and it played just like an adventure game with a bunch of annoying combat I handwaved through.

More examples: Half-Life series, Oblivion, etc. In most cases on the PC, if it has great story and characters and God mode, it becomes an adventure game to me. I see the combat and other elements are like roadblocks to overcome to get to the adventure.

So in the end I realized that the adventure games haven't disappeared. They are all around us, but hidden.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:41 AM   #2
Cabbage Merchant

Send a message via MSN to HaroldO

While I don't entirely agree with your statement I can see what you mean. Along the years many games borrowed more and more elements from Adventures. I often cite two examples: Metal Gear Solid series and the old-school "Survival Horrors". They are what I call "Adventures with really good action mini-games".

I noticed that most of the time I have spent on Metal Gear games I was either on Codec/Radio Screen or watching awesome cut-scenes. The other small part I've spent and what felt like inventory puzzles (the shape memory alloy card on MGS or bomb-freezing on MGS2) and some sneaking puzzles. What didn't really felt like a Adventure Game were the boss fights and some action sequences, but I only spent about 20% of game time on them.

The old school survival horrors are usually full of puzzles, especially inventory puzzles but they also have a lot of action going on. Resources management becomes a puzzle on its own merits like in the original Resident Evil. You only have so much ammo, herbs (health items) and ink ribbons (which you used to save your game on old typewriters). If you decided to go Rambo on your foes you'd likely end up dead. You also had to decide if a certain foe was worth killing if you could just try dodging it and risk getting wounded or killed.

Last edited by HaroldO; 01-05-2010 at 07:46 AM. Reason: spelling errors.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:46 AM   #3

There have been more adventure releases this decade than in the "golden age" and of arguably better quality.

Playing games in god mode makes no sense to me, sorry. Those games share very little relevance to traditional adventures.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:07 AM   #4

I've been playing adventure games since 1986 - text games like Trinity were my first.

In the old days, it was obvious it was an adventure game because it was all text - no graphics.

Today, LOTS of great adventure games are released and some - especially on the DS - sell in droves. People still like to solve puzzles to advance a story.

However, some games like Bayonetta - have characters, plot, storyline, etc and yes - puzzles to be solved. In GOD MODE, you feel like you are playing an adventure game.

How much action before its not an adventure game anymore? I myself am OK with a little bit of arcade action and won't scream foul.

The nice part about the DS is the system lends itself to puzzle solving so lots of puzzle games are released on it.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:36 AM   #5

Indeed, there are adventure games all around us. Personaly i usally play a wide variety of games, from all over the game genres. But i never played a point and click adventure, untill i stumbled across "The Mystery Of The Druids", back in 2001/02, and i loved it. I always keep my eyes open for new ones, and over recent years, i have looked on sites like Amazon, for old games that i missed out on, because i wasnt interested in that genre before. So since then i found and played games like The Longest Journey or Syberia etc.

Another instance, in another genre, I took a gamble, and played Oblivion in late 2006, and loved the idea of the game. Then when looking on Amazon for RPG's, i found similar games, and it then took me back to games that i never played before, like Morrowind, KOTOR 1 & 2 , Gothic, or Neverwinter Knights etc.

There are loads of games out there, even as our personal tastes change. You just have to look deeper, like this website, it has allot of game suggestions.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:58 AM   #6

There are so few adventures published that I too spend my time waiting for some titles to come out playing other games...

One of them which was extremely good was The Witcher - I could play that contrary to Fallout 3 which is only available in 3rd person. Story plays a huge part in the Witcher, and the game is even more enjoyable to someone who has read the books, on which the game is based
Old 01-06-2010, 08:17 AM   #7
Cabbage Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikekelly View Post
The nice part about the DS is the system lends itself to puzzle solving so lots of puzzle games are released on it.
Kind of off topic but reading this makes me think at Cing's games for the DS which in turn reminds me even though Last Window will be at Japanese stores next week and so far no word whether this title will be released in Europe or North America. Please NoA, don't "pull a Fatal Frame IV" on this one.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:32 AM   #8

I agree. Adventure games are right under our noses everywhere (beyond the "pure" adventure games already released), they've just been absorbed into other genres.

Last edited by Vahkris; 01-06-2010 at 08:40 AM.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:15 PM   #9

Quote:
My solution for those is to get the PC versions of the game and play them on God mode if possible. I played Fallout 3 entirely in God mode and it played just like an adventure game with a bunch of annoying combat I handwaved through.
That's what I like to do sometimes. Some may consider that cheating, but it doesn't really ruin the experience for me. I love to play Oblivion on easy level. It's so much fun just exploring around. I like to just load it up and play it every once in a while.

I got Fallout 3 for my birthday last year. I'm dying to play it, but my dad's playing now and he's pretty addicted so it may be a while.

I can see what you mean. Games like that are kind of like adventure games. I play games almost solely for the story. I want to see how it unfolds. So combat is not important to me (occasionally it can be fun). So I'll find ways to eliminate it (by cheating) if possible. I just want to see how the game ends.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:13 PM   #10

exactly so few games focus on story.

and that is the reason i am wanting to become totally invested in this genre.

my favourite gaming experiences have focused on story and atmosphere over everything else. and this genre encapsulates that in my opinion.

so while elements of adventure gaming are taken, VERY few "mainstream" games these days take story seriously.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:29 PM   #11
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthmaul View Post
Playing games in god mode makes no sense to me, sorry. Those games share very little relevance to traditional adventures.
I agree. The games the OP mentioned aren't any closer to adventure games than are movies.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vahkris View Post
I agree. Adventure games are right under our noses everywhere (beyond the "pure" adventure games already released), they've just been absorbed into other genres.
Yeah, exactly. Using items on other items is great fun, I know I love it, but I think I'm in the minority so it makes sense to give action/RPG games which can keep the fun coming but also have them be adventure games. I miss having a really good item/item/talk/item game to play but I think I prefer games that are just great stories despite the genre.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Take for instance Dragon Age: Origins. To me the game is only 1/4 combat and the RPG elements can be largely ignored. One can mostly engage in the conversation and exploration in the game and ignore the rest.
I love adventure games, especially on the PC and have only ventured to play Hotel Dusk on the DS. My brother recently brought home his X-box 360 and he said I would love Dragon Age: Origins. He was surprisingly right.

When I played it, I expected it to be more RPG like (I picked the casual level, the option is how tough the enemies are when battling), but it definitely was more of an adventure game to me! There are many dialogue options, side quests, main quests, multiple endings, and the storyline was awesome. If I were to compare it to previous adventure games, it would probably be best to compare it to the Quest for Glory games as you can select your player to be a warrior, a mage or rogue/thief.

I highly recommend the game. I played it twice through before my brother had to go back to college and took the X-box back with him.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:13 PM   #14
It's Hard To Be Humble

I've been playing The Sims 3 lately, and the expansion pack, World Adventures, is actually a pretty cool series of tomb adventures. It's definitely AG lite, but it's just about right for my current state of mind.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:17 PM   #15

I'm sorry to be a pessimist here but I don't see how some of these games, particularly Dragon Age are adventure games. As far as I can tell the similarities lie in dialogue trees and having a story. Doesn't really seem like enough to qualify it as having adventure elements.

RPG's are classified as another genre for a reason. There are similarities, but there are also vast, vast differences between it and the adventure genre. And no, Metal Gear Solid is not in any way shape or form an adventure. Having cut scenes and heavy dialogue does not classify it this way.

Well, at least in my opinion

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 01-14-2010, 05:21 AM   #16

For once I'm with the old school guys here: The games you mentioned are NOT adventure games. Of course I can't fully comment on these games since I haven't played any but from what I've seen and read I think I kinda catch the drift. I understand that they have dialogues and cutscenes and oh yeah eh...a story but for the same matter you could also say that the latest three Tomb Raider games(Angel of Darkness, Legend and Underworld) are AGs since they feature puzzles and some dialogue options wich is simply not true because at the end of the day the biggest part involves shimmying across ledges, jumping, fighting and shooting. It can be said that Chrystal Dynamics is certainly aiming more and more towards the Adventure genre but they're definetly not there yet. As for story, well there are plenty of shooters, action RPG etc... games that have a solid story. (Bioshock, Mass Effect, Call of Cthulu, Uncharted etc...) That does not make them adventure games. Just one of the better shooter, action, RPG games.

That is not to say that an adventure game can not include other elements than puzzles. Some of the best adventure games ever like Dreamfall and Fahrenheit include many other machenics to procede in the story. I guess it's just a matter of how heavy they are on those

Anyways sorry for the long post. I promised myself I'd be brief. I just got carried away a bit.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:10 AM   #17
kiss me Lewton

Send a message via MSN to carlotta von uberwald

I think Uncharted comes close to an AG the story element is fantastic. Even though it's not a PC AG. And Assassin's Creed is very story orientated which is how I like my point & click pc adventures the story is the most important part if that doesn't come up to scratch then the puzzles are useless.

The sacred lace of Hyperopia the goddess of shoes, the holy trolley of Mr. Safeway, the blessed chamber pot of the whinging martyrs of constipata. Anything could become a sacred relic if you weren't careful enough.

I never misenthropated anything!

Malaclypse is a nut!!!

Keep The Adventure Alive!
Old 01-14-2010, 11:36 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlotta von uberwald View Post
I think Uncharted comes close to an AG the story element is fantastic. Even though it's not a PC AG. And Assassin's Creed is very story orientated which is how I like my point & click pc adventures the story is the most important part if that doesn't come up to scratch then the puzzles are useless.
I still don't think Uncharted is an AG, sure it's got a good story and all but no puzzles of any kind and a huge amount of fighting, shooting, shimmying etc... Combining machenics OK but without any traditional adventure elements it's just not an AG. It's a good game though. No objections on that
Old 01-14-2010, 04:12 PM   #19

I have to say, it's interesting that as soon as another genre has SOME good elements, namely a better story and dialogue than its genre counterparts, then suddenly it's like an adventure game? I suppose the adventure scene should be proud of this. Nethertheless, these genres are still seperate, it just seems to be surprising some people that other genres really are capable of doing a story that's as good (well, nearly) as an adventure game.

And as for Uncharted, I just finished part 2 about 4 days ago and no, it is most definately NOT an adventure game. 95% shooting people, 5% solving puzzles designed for, well, players not so adjusted to actual puzzles (check book to see if lion picture goes with green circle or red triangle ).

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 01-14-2010, 05:47 PM   #20
Cabbage Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sughly View Post
I have to say, it's interesting that as soon as another genre has SOME good elements, namely a better story and dialogue than its genre counterparts, then suddenly it's like an adventure game? I suppose the adventure scene should be proud of this. Nethertheless, these genres are still seperate, it just seems to be surprising some people that other genres really are capable of doing a story that's as good (well, nearly) as an adventure game.
I admit I expressed myself quite poorly in my first post, so let me try this again:

You have a good point. To be honest I agree with both you and the OP in certain aspects. I agree that those are separate genres but I also think a lot of games of other genres borrow many elements classically associated with Adventures. And even though those weren't design or promoted as AG, an individual gamer may approach a game from other genre as an adventure, provided this game has enough familiar elements.

I used an exaggeration when said this:
Quote:
I often cite two examples: Metal Gear Solid series and the old-school "Survival Horrors". They are what I call "Adventures with really good action mini-games".
Reading this now I think just using quote marks wasn't enough to express that was an exaggeration, so to make it clear: as loose as genre boundaries can be I don't consider those to be AG's. But I DO see a lot of adventure elements, not only story or dialogue but many times in the way you advance through the game.

To name one example: in the original Metal Gear Solid there's a situation where you have to cross a cave full of wolf-dogs.
Spoiler:
As a general rule, the game always have a lot of alternate ways deal with each situation. In this particular situation you can just go medieval on their tails or sneak across the cave, among other options. One of them is what perceive "the adventure way", which is to get one of the dogs to pee on one of your cardboard boxes so that when you're hiding inside it the wolf-dogs don't perceive you as threat.

That's not exclusive tho Adventure Games. I've seen many people that consider some Castlevania games (especially Symphony of the Night) and/or Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas to be action-RPGs mostly because you have stats. And even when it's not a discussion of genre it can be a question of approach. the same GTA I've just mentioned, I have a friend that ignores most of the game and just plays it as driving game. The doesn't do missions, he doesn't shoot random people in the face, he just loads the game, steals a car, drives like maniac until he blows up the vehicle and proceeds to steal another ride. While the it's certainly not "the standard way to play the game", it's available and It's the way he has fun.

Most people I know that still play WarCraft III do it as an multiplayer RPG as opposed to an RTS. Defense of the Ancients is ridiculously popular, and while nobody disputes WC III an RTS but it's almost consensus since launch that it has a little rpg in the mixture. But I think I'm getting off topic now, so I'll end here.