Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Tomorrow I have the day off... (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/26065-tomorrow-i-have-day-off.html)

J.H 12-27-2009 05:37 PM

Tomorrow I have the day off...

Well today as it's like 1am here lol. Basically I should be returning to work after the Christmas holidays but I've come down with quite a nasty case of the flu. Luckily a fellow colleague will open up and cover me, this means I get the whole day to myself for once. I've a lot of work to do but I'm really in no fit state to do anything but sit infront of the PC and play Adventure Games :D.

I haven't got really engrossed and stuck into an adventure game since I completed Still Life a few months ago and it's making me unmotivated to play them so I really want to get engrossed in an AG for the whole day as I have previously.

I'm currently playing Syberia but it really isn't gripping me at all so I thought I'd ask the help of everyone here :). I need some guidance/opinions really on what you'd recommend as the most enjoyable to play all day tomorrow as I recover.

I was thinking I could plod along with Syberia still and attempt to finish it but this doesn't really excite me lol.

I also have these games ready to open/install

Indigo Prophecy
The Lost Crown (I played the start of it and enjoyed)
Moment of Silence (I played the start a while ago but I don't remember much about it apart from awkward controls).

I'm open to other suggestions also as I may buy new games etc off steam.

Thanks,
JJ.

Fantasysci5 12-27-2009 09:00 PM

Personally, "The Lost Crown" is my favorite game ever, and it's definetely worth it. It's very long, so should give you plenty of playing time. It's a little slow story-wise at the beginning, but it picks up and really involves you in the ghost stories and such. The characters and plot are so good, I'd really recommend playing through it.

I feel the same about Syberia as you, and at the moment, I'm playing through "Moment of Silence". :P

Terramax 12-28-2009 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJ (Post 534079)
I haven't got really engrossed and stuck into an adventure game since I completed Still Life a few months ago...

Did you enjoy it? Then I'd whole-heartedly recommend Post Mortem? It has some issues as the less-than-flattering review here points out, but the story and atmosphere are top-notch. Puzzles are quite varied also.

nonax 12-28-2009 02:03 AM

These are not too long and could make your day:
Machinarium: very funny, lovely and challenging and short enough to take on in one day
Nancy Drew (there are 21 to choose from): good atmosphere, good puzzles, divers game play
Time Gentlemen Please! Very funny AG from independent UK developer, classic game play with clever puzzles, best AG of 2009?
Blackwell series: Entangling story, noire and metropolitan atmosphere, meaningful conversations

AndreaDraco83 12-28-2009 03:25 AM

Indigo Prophecy is a must-play, and mind you: I'm no fan of David Cage, but IP is refreshing and, at least at the beginning, way more than captivating. It will grab your by the throat right away.

J.H 12-28-2009 05:55 AM

@Fantasysci5 Yeah I've reinstalled TLC but I don't know if I'll start it today, I think it's a game I'd rather play out over a long time. The moment of silence didn't really grip me tbh the characters seemed very wooden.

@Terramax
Yeah it was one of the best AG's I've played. I was put off by a few reviews but I've actually got Post Mortem somewhere I'm sure, I might play it thanks.

@nonax I've finished all but TGP and I'm not really into the Nancy Drew games but I may replay Machinarium...

@AndreaDraco83 I've read some good reviews about this game and it looks like something that could keep me entertained so I think I'll give it a go :D

rottford 12-28-2009 01:12 PM

For me, Lost Crown would be No. 1 to play on the list of all games mentioned here. But it's far too long and layered to go through in a day or two -- it took me a good month-and-a-half (at an hour or two every few days).

I actually just started replaying Indigo Prophecy for the first time since it came out (on my two-week paid vacation from work!). Even though the game doesn't live up to what Cage had planned (and falls apart pretty terribly at the end), it still is exceptionally atmospheric and quite possibly the most innovative adventure game ever. It feels frighteningly realistic at times.

Though in terms of "atmosphere," I still have no idea what or where the East End of NYC is (where the game takes place). Perhaps Cage was referring to East Village? Or the Upper/Lower East Side?

Fantasysci5 12-28-2009 07:17 PM

Hey JJ. I agree with you, a lot of the characters in "Moment of Silence" are pretty stiff, and the story lags a lot, but I'm still enjoying it. I loved all of the talking in "The Longest Journey", but the talking in "Moment of Silence" is boring me to death! :crazy:

And a question about Machinarium; I've heard there's hardly any talking between characters, etc. Is there no characterization? Is there a good plot? I'm debating on buying it from the sale, but I really love characterization and plot...

DustyShinigami 12-29-2009 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 (Post 534153)
And a question about Machinarium; I've heard there's hardly any talking between characters, etc. Is there no characterization? Is there a good plot? I'm debating on buying it from the sale, but I really love characterization and plot...

I'm not sure how far into the game I am, but so far, no. There doesn't seem to be much of a plot or any characterization. It's mainly a puzzle game.

J.H 12-29-2009 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rottford (Post 534133)
For me, Lost Crown would be No. 1 to play on the list of all games mentioned here. But it's far too long and layered to go through in a day or two -- it took me a good month-and-a-half (at an hour or two every few days).

I actually just started replaying Indigo Prophecy for the first time since it came out (on my two-week paid vacation from work!). Even though the game doesn't live up to what Cage had planned (and falls apart pretty terribly at the end), it still is exceptionally atmospheric and quite possibly the most innovative adventure game ever. It feels frighteningly realistic at times.

Though in terms of "atmosphere," I still have no idea what or where the East End of NYC is (where the game takes place). Perhaps Cage was referring to East Village? Or the Upper/Lower East Side?

Yeah I think I'm going to leave TLC until the new year. I now have 5 days off and I'm really enjoying the Indigo Prophecy, I love all that conspiracy stuff lol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 (Post 534153)
Hey JJ. I agree with you, a lot of the characters in "Moment of Silence" are pretty stiff, and the story lags a lot, but I'm still enjoying it. I loved all of the talking in "The Longest Journey", but the talking in "Moment of Silence" is boring me to death! :crazy:

I'm still yet to play TLJ I don't really know anything about it tbh.

Erm the further you go in Machinarium the more you get involved in the story. It's quite a nice little story in the end but it's hardly in great depth or detail. The robots speak only through images in speech bubbles, actions and grunts lol. The characterisation is limited though, tbh I don't even think the main protagonist has a name?

I enjoyed it though, the jail scene was one of my favourites. The hidden object and inventory puzzles are great but there's to many slider type puzzles for my liking. It's definitely worth buying though, especially in the sale.

renna 12-29-2009 01:38 PM

Awww, I just got over the a really nasty cold too. Well I vote for Lost Crown. I absolutely loved it. I hope you feel better.

J.H 12-29-2009 04:32 PM

I went to the doctors today and he told me it's actually flu mixed with asthma that I never knew I had lol. Thanks, I'm feeling much better :D.