You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure New To The Genre, Hoping For Some Guidance

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2010, 05:01 AM   #81

hehe, yeah thanks, i will try to use that as a last resort, i really need to develop patience, get a notepad and spend a few days on a puzzle before bailing out. as its kind of just wasting the game.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:32 AM   #82
J.H
Frak.

If I'm honest I've never spent longer than a few hours on one puzzle it's a waste of time. Try to find hints rather then a walkthrough.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:02 AM   #83

yeah that UHS site should be helpful when i do need to use it as a last resort.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:58 PM   #84

You can also ask for a hint on forums like this.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:53 PM   #85
Junior Mint

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
If I'm honest I've never spent longer than a few hours on one puzzle it's a waste of time. Try to find hints rather then a walkthrough.
Heh, I'll never spend more than ten minutes on one. If I can't figure out a puzzle, I move on to a different one, and come back later. If I don't have any other puzzles to solve, and one particular puzzle is preventing the game from moving forward, I go to the walkthrough. This is why I prefer adventure games to be a bit more open-ended. Very linear game + difficult puzzles = turns the "game" into a "chore", and I stop having fun. The first BS1 game was fairly linear and had very difficult and esoteric puzzles; hence, I didn't enjoy it as much as most people here did.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:11 PM   #86

Just a little update. I started with my new found thought process, more patience, and most importantly a notepad.

and the notepad made everything a little easier for me. im made some great progress today in both games without ever even thinking about getting outside help.

I wouldn;t have thought just mapping everything out on paper would help make things so clear.

Maybe when i get more experienced i wont need it as much but for now it has been vital and helped me really get the enjoyment and satisfaction out of both games.

Im definitely having a blast now
Old 01-02-2010, 06:00 PM   #87

Taking notes is the best way to play adventure games in my opinion. I enjoy doing it that way, as opposed to keeping everything bottled up inside my head. Some adventure games require it, especially older ones.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:40 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by booB View Post
I prefer adventure games to be a bit more open-ended. Very linear game + difficult puzzles = turns the "game" into a "chore", and I stop having fun.
I feel this way, also. Many adventure games are too linear. It also diminishes the replayablity of a game if you have to do everything in the same order every time.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:11 AM   #89

Using a notepad is actually pretty cool in my opinion. Makes the game kind of more intreactive.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:23 AM   #90
J.H
Frak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orient View Post
Taking notes is the best way to play adventure games in my opinion. I enjoy doing it that way, as opposed to keeping everything bottled up inside my head. Some adventure games require it, especially older ones.
Yeah I'd definitely agree with this, GK1 for example.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:13 PM   #91

Okay Im starting to think that even with note taking I am not cut out for these games.

Can I ask if Secret of Monkey Island is supposed to be hard? because to be honest with you, I'm close to giving up. I can understand why so many love it, so im not saying the game is bad. However for me, I can't solve its' puzzles. My brain just wont allow it.

There are some fun ones (getting to monkey island, and also getting ON monkey island were really fun and clever, but not too hard) but everything after just seems like so much trial and error and so little hints, that its definitely not fun for me.
Spoiler:

Magnet for the key, im sure many people would have found this obvious, but i forgot i even had a magnetized compass in my inventory.

Spoiler:
Getting the naviagtor for the catacombs was horribly confusing. I was stuck wondering where on the map I could get a navigator travelled through every area twice thinking there would be one hiding. Had NO idea a book would be the key . Though in hindsight its clever, I still know there was no way i was going to figure it out. And that for me makes me disconnect from the game as a whole.

BTW as I say this is me, and im not saying the game is illogical, but for me there was just no way I was going to figure these things out.

Maybe it turns out I'm no good at these games and I truly hope this isn't the case. However right now, the game is not giving me enough to go on, and I personally don't like spending an hour retracing my steps around the map and pixel hunting. That couldn't be less fun for me.

I used some hints from UHS and got further, but every time I thought I was getting it, I would get smashed into a new wall. And right now, the moment where im pretty much uninstalling the game, is where I just don't find it fun and I don't want to play it anymore.

Anyway im not looking for help, just wondering if you can tell me if this is supposed to be so hard for a beginner like me? or is it honestly and simply a case that I am not cut out for this genre. Does my hatred of retracing steps, and a true hatred for pixel hunting pretty much mean I am totally wrong for this genre?

I haven't played broken sword for the last few days by the way and will continue with that tomorrow most probably, and hope to god I get on better. But in the meantime, could people please kindly recommend me any easier game, for me to at least get started, ones that don't require an hour or more of backtracking whenever you get stuck, and at least give some clues in the dialogue and environment.

PS: For the record, Im not into other gaming genres anymore. I'm not a FPS fan or action, and I dont care for instant gratification. Its why I was so excited for this genre of gaming, It focuses on story, atmosphere and intelligence, and im really desperate to get on with it. but I'm fearing now the puzzles might be a bit too hardcore for me,

Last edited by Idrisguitar; 01-03-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:53 PM   #92
Senior *female* member

The adventure genre harbours different subgenres and maybe you're simply discovering which type of game you like best? You had no problems with the stand-alone puzzles in Machinarium (not much inventory there) and some of those were pretty hard. I don't mean to steer you away from 3rd-person adventures with lots of dialogue and inventory-based puzzles, but you might give the more Myst-like games a try, for instance Dark Fall 1 or Barrow Hill.

Other suggestions: Return to Mysterious Island. Not hard. You can solve things in different ways, thanks to its inventive inventory system. Play the demo! Loom is fun and easy. Gabriel Knight 2 has one or two whacky puzzles, but which game hasn't and the story is wonderfully immersive.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:14 PM   #93

I found Secret of Monkey Island hard, but I played the remastered version with in-built hints, so I never got too frustrated.

If you're looking for easier games, look no further than Syberia and Dreamfall -- a couple of the best AGs I've ever played, and they're not hard. Although you have to play The Longest Journey before Dreamfall and Syberia II after Syberia :-P That's just the way it was meant to be.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:17 AM   #94

Hehe thanks for the suggestions.

Getting similar suggestion on other forums.

Mainly people are suggested i go with the easier AGs first and then work my way up to the hard ones. Starting with BS and SOMI was probably just jumping into the deep end.

I will be playing Syberia, this will hopefully give me a lot of enjoyment while slowly breaking me in to the way of thinking i need for future games.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:42 AM   #95

Idrisguitar:

Playing adventure games takes some adjustment. You need to get a feel for the tropes and conventions of the genre. Maybe more so when it comes to older games

For easier games:
Dreamfall - I played it before the The Longest Journey, and didn't find the story confusing. But I can see the point in playing it after The Longest Journey, which isn't a particular easy game.

Broken Sword 3 - At least I remember it to be easier than Broken Sword 1.

Another Code: R - If you have a Wii.

Emerald City Confidential - I haven't played that one, but the general consensus is, that it's a quite easy game.

EDIT: Regarding older games vs. new games; I should note that I haven't played that many new-ish adventure games, but that's the feeling I get from comments from reviewers and gamers - games released in the past couple of years are probably a bit more streamlined than "older" games. So it's a fairly new trend.

Last edited by Jannik; 01-04-2010 at 07:12 AM.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:25 AM   #96

thanks a lot
Old 01-04-2010, 06:05 PM   #97

Yeah, Another Code: R is a great beginners AG if you live in a PAL region (it wasn't released in the US). I liked the DS original, too.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:17 AM   #98

I started of with BS2 and that worked great for me. I wouldn't advise starting with BS3 as I find it a very good, very rewarding game but definitely the hardest of the three.

Dreamfall is maybe the way to go as it blends action ad adventure together in one hell of a fantastic and unforgettable game. If you want story and atmospheer you can hardly go better then Dreamfall. And indeed the puzzles are not to hard.

Also are you or were you a fan of CSI? Because I played those games very early on and found them quite doable. There not exactly top rated stuff but they're okay for starters. I should add though that I've only played the first three
Old 02-12-2010, 03:47 AM   #99
Senior *female* member

Hey, what happened to our new convert?
Stuck in one of the adventures on your long, long list? Disgusted with the genre and secretly playing a FPS or a casual game?
Old 02-17-2010, 01:14 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray pierce View Post
I started of with BS2 and that worked great for me. I wouldn't advise starting with BS3 as I find it a very good, very rewarding game but definitely the hardest of the three.

Dreamfall is maybe the way to go as it blends action ad adventure together in one hell of a fantastic and unforgettable game. If you want story and atmospheer you can hardly go better then Dreamfall. And indeed the puzzles are not to hard.

Also are you or were you a fan of CSI? Because I played those games very early on and found them quite doable. There not exactly top rated stuff but they're okay for starters. I should add though that I've only played the first three
wait, you say BS3 is hard? you sure you don't mean BS1? i only played 3 but i found it to be rather easy actually hmmm