You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure New To The Genre, Hoping For Some Guidance

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2009, 03:25 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
EVERY one...? Is Bad Mojo on your list? And Spycraft, Shadow of Memories, Callahan's Crosstime Saloon, The Dark Eye, Bad Day on the Midway, Zork Nemesis, Stupid Invaders, Duckman, Toonstruck, Amber, UFO's?

Just curious.
Hehe, okay you got me. (got bad mojo, zork, and stupid invaders but not the rest)

But thanks I can add MORE now

Btw is shadow of memories on PC? thought it was only on ps2.

Well basically what I meant is I always note down any game I see mentioned in a positive light, also I have gone through the reviews on this site (and others) and picked out the most positive ones. It just seems like I have just about every great game I can find

I'm sure there many more out there that are eluding my internet gaze , but when I feel like my list is running dry (which is as I said probably years away) then I will come back here and get more help

Last edited by Idrisguitar; 12-29-2009 at 03:33 AM.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:48 AM   #62
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idrisguitar View Post
when I feel like my list is running dry (which is as I said probably years away) then I will come back here and get more help
You're not thinking of leaving, are you. You can't do that to us, we want to know how you like all those adventures!

PS: Yes, Shadow of Memories/Destiny was released for the PC as well.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:55 AM   #63

Quote:
You're not thinking of leaving, are you. You can't do that to us, we want to know how you like all those adventures!

Oh no, I'm now obsessed, so I will be visiting this site every day

I just meant I would come back and create another topic to get help I will be posting more on the forums the more I play for sure

And awesome, always wanted to play Shadow of Memories. Will be getting that for sure now

Last edited by Idrisguitar; 12-29-2009 at 06:06 AM.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:11 AM   #64
The Quiet One

Quote:
That's good to know. I thought it was only on PS2 and coming soon to the PSP. I'll get the remastered PSP version first, but I'll probably check out the original on PC afterwards.

And Idrisguitar? Just be warned about the Discworld games. Even though 1 and 2 are playable with ScummVM, the first one is quite hard. And the best, Discworld Noir, has problems on modern systems. I've no idea about Windows 7, but it won't work after the intro scene on Vista.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 12-29-2009, 10:31 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzoid View Post
That's good to know. I thought it was only on PS2 and coming soon to the PSP. I'll get the remastered PSP version first, but I'll probably check out the original on PC afterwards.

And Idrisguitar? Just be warned about the Discworld games. Even though 1 and 2 are playable with ScummVM, the first one is quite hard. And the best, Discworld Noir, has problems on modern systems. I've no idea about Windows 7, but it won't work after the intro scene on Vista.
Yeah, the Discworld games are there, but as my earlier post suggest, it will be a while before I get to my 50+ list with the first lot of games I plan to play first. So I'm sure by the time I get to play it I will be experienced enough to cope with it

Broken Sword just gets better the more I play it. Some of the writing is just so witty and clever, I actually laughed out loud at a few points. The game just puts me in a good mood. And in a way I'm glad I can only play it at 30 minutes spurts right now, (because of family) because I know if I had a few days to myself I wouldn't be able to help myself and would finish the game fast.

It only makes me more excited seeing all the other great games to follow too. I'm almost glad it has taken me so many years to find this genre, leaves me with so much to be excited for right now.

Last edited by Idrisguitar; 12-29-2009 at 03:39 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:32 AM   #66

Sorry for the double post, but I thought I had to update on my progress.

And its not very good news .

I am finding Broken Sword 1 to be VERY difficult, I have had to use a walkthrough countless times, and right now im kind of losing some of my patience with the game

I love clever puzzles, but some things in this game make no sense to me, and without a walkthrough it seems like I would have no chance of progressing..

Plus right now it seems to be consisting of a trial an error gameplay. Basically talk to everyone about every single item and subject just incase that unlocks some progress. And thus this type of gameplay is really not appealing to me.

For me there just aren't enough subtle hints to make the pzzles a little more free flowing., instead right now its pretty much an endless trawl through the same conversation, and the same places over and over again in the hope of finding something to progress to story onwards. I know the two games are different, but while Machinarium was hard, it still gave you limited options, allowing for some difficult puzzle, but still allowing you to only have to worry about a few things, thus making it easier to figure it out. BS has so many areas, and people to see and speak to, that when I get stuck I know I'm in for at least an hour of boring conversations in the hope to strike gold.

I mean not everything is stopping me, some bits are given sufficient hints and thus that is why my first impressions of the game were glowing. but recently I have ran into a few walls, and they are starting to appear around every turn in the game right now, and thus I am writing this post. Hoping some tips can be given that will allow me to enjoy and complete this game to its fullest capacity.

Here are some examples:

Spoiler:
The goat bit: no hint WHATSOEVER. you would have to be lucky to figure it out. (or just extremely clever/the game developer themselves) However i can take this, one look at the walkthrough was all it was, and I was still happy to continue.)

Spoiler:
The Musuem before the robbery: When I tried to open the window the guy shouted at me, so I though that was it, that's off limits. So you can imagine my frustration that after an hour of visiting other places and talking to every person available, I found out that all i had to do was press the button when he wasn;t looking. I had NO idea that if he was turned around it would work, i just figured the game wasn't going to allow me to do it. On top of that I imagine without the guide it still would have taken me about a bit longer to figure out to hide in the sarcophagus (sp?)

Spoiler:
The sewer in Montfauçon: how exactly am I meant to figure out that I use the t-shape tool on the FIRST panel....makes no logical sense to me. There is no way my brain would have allowed me to reach this conclusion on my own, as it just doesn't make any sense to me. Sure George says its crumbling, but a tool I have used to open sewer grates all game is also great for knocking things down?? I didn't know the game worked like that.

I know I'm around half way through the game, and right now I'm not exactly looking forward to figuring these types of things out by hours of trial and error. It's just not fun for me to talk to everyone in every area multiple times before I give up and realise I missed a tiny switch that can only be pressed when a bird is churping, just isn't my idea of a game (okay I may be going a little overboard with that example :p)

I truly hope this doesn't mean I suck at adventure games, because as I have repeatedly said, this genre holds every priority that I have in games, Story, atmosphere, and using your brain instead of a trigger finger. However right now in BS the puzzles are so broad and random (at least to me) with too few hints. I can understand some people enjoy this difficulty, but I like to have a few hints, so the game can keep moving forward and flowing. As I'm starting to get sick of George asking what people think about his tissue.

Hope you guys can reply, and give your tips, and opinions on my points. I am still desperate to love this genre and this game. Machinarium is one of my favourite games, as is Indigo Prophecy, and I am depserate to add more from this genre.

Last edited by Idrisguitar; 12-31-2009 at 08:48 AM.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:11 AM   #67

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

I dislike BS too, and if you liked Indigo Prophecy, I think you'll also like Dreamfall, which is, in my humble opinion, the last true masterpiece our beloved genre has seen.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 12-31-2009, 10:51 AM   #68

I wouldn't quite say I dislike it just yet, (and TLJ and dreamfall are on my soon to play list )

I'm just hoping there's a knack to the puzzle solving that I'm fundamentally missing.

UPDATE: I'm finding it a little better, what I was missing was the use of the right mouse button to explain items and points of interest, these things gave clues I was missing out on before and I have a feeling I would have been able to pass a few more of those obstacles without the guide had I known before. Plus I have just done pretty well in Syria.

I guess getting used to the way the game designers think really helps. Now I try to combine items, and left and right click everywhere. and just simply think of the most logicalthings I can and its definitely rewarding me.

Hopefully this was just a case of "first real adventure game" stupidity, and I'm now very excited to continue playing it tomorrow

Last edited by Idrisguitar; 12-31-2009 at 02:16 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:50 PM   #69
The Quiet One

Aye, right clicking will certainly help.

As for

Spoiler:
the goat puzzle - that is known to be one of the hardest and unfairest puzzles in the game. Fortunately, I had no problems with that puzzle as a friend told me what to do. And I never even asked him for help either. Apparently the developers have made that puzzle easier in the Director's Cut.

Spoiler:
the museum puzzle - well, I don't remember the first time I solved that one. But there are a number of adventure games out there where timing is key. Those usually involve waiting for an NPC to perform some kind of action, like in this game, where they look away. This will usually enable you to grab an item off them or something.

Spoiler:
the catacombs - right clicking would definitely have helped you here. You'll find that the left and middle panels have inscriptions about the Templars in French. And, if I remember right, George notices that the right one looks a bit modern than the other two and the plaster is crumbling away. When you use the sewer key on it, George, and the player, will discover that it's hollow. Personally, I think it would make no sense to NOT use the sewer key to break through the plaster. I mean, what other tool in your inventory would have worked to break through a hollow wall? Usually something hard would work perfectly.

Anyway, please don't give in. The game is hard, but I find it's hard in a good/logical way. And the story alone is reason enough to keep going.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 12-31-2009, 03:41 PM   #70

Thanks Gazzoid, and as i stated in my lastly post, i am getting on better with it.

I think I just wasn't clocking on to the mechanics of the game, and I was probably frustrated, (thus not opening my mind much)

Syria has had some hard puzzles, of which I have managed to complete simply relying on previous ways George has managed to progress earlier in the game. It's now a common habit for me to try combining items, and using them on all manner of places, which may sound obvious but for some reason I was just not opening my mind. I know for a fact that i would not have been stuck in the sewer if I thought like this before.

So I really think knowing how the game plays really helps in terms of completing puzzles. And of course, the right clicking really opened it up for me (I have a feeling that museum timing puzzle would have been made pretty obvious with a few right clicks.)

Im guessing it also came down to my total lack of adventure game experience, but I'm learning to think laterally (or whichever way I need to), and right now, I am very happy with the last hour of play I have had with the game, and will be very excited to continue playing it tomorrow.

Last edited by Idrisguitar; 12-31-2009 at 03:47 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:45 PM   #71
Junior Mint

I had the same problem with BS1, and I had to rely a ton on the walkthrough. Fortunately, most of the puzzle solutions in BS2 aren't nearly as hard and obscure -- but the story isn't as interesting as BS1. Overall, BS3 is my favorite of the series, even though it has its faults, too.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:51 PM   #72

Idrisguitar, adventure games are often accused of being far too assuming of the player's knowledge and perception of the genre and its conventions. Some even claim that it is what led to the downfall of the genre. The games were becoming far too obscure and self-referential. The hardcore adventure gamers wanted tougher puzzles and more connection to previous titles, and while it must have been amazing for those players, it left everyone else out in the cold...or at least that's what some people will tell you.

As silly as it may seem afterwards, not knowing that you have to wait for a guard to turn away before pressing a button is not instinctive unless the game teaches you beforehand that you can do such a thing - and I've always felt that adventure games are notorious for not setting the guidelines of how to play.

Unfortunately, even great games like The Longest Journey have their fair share of wacked-out puzzles that just aren't explained very well. Overall, though, Broken Sword is one of many high points in the genre and by the time you've finished it, I bet you'll look back and consider it a truly great gaming experience.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:05 AM   #73

Yeah I'm sure by the end I will love it.

And those are some great points.

a little hand holding in the beginning to set up the mindset of the player would be helpful, but as long as I can get into the groove of how the game works before long and without too much walkthrough, I will always have amazing fun.

And hopefully as I play more it will be a lot easier for me to get bedded in with a new game.

Because my soul just dissolves a little every time I cave in and look at a guide, but knowing me its either that or getting so frustrated. Then I dont play the game for a while, and BS is still too compelling no matter how hard it may seem to me

The overall fact is though, that no matter how frustrated I may have gotten, im still VERY excited to play the game each day which indicated to me that I really do love this genre of games.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:22 AM   #74
J.H
Frak.

I think I'm one of the few people who found BS1's puzzles to be mostly logical and fun to do lol. Although the toilet brush puzzles was kind of stupid.
Old 01-01-2010, 12:19 PM   #75

To be fair, knowing the methods and the way the developers think like I think I do now, I would have found most of the puzzles more logical.

Thats easy to say now, but simply right clicking on everything would have made things at least 30% more possible in the first place im sure

Also factor in I really am not as clever or open minded as I thought I was before playing I can only improve though.
Old 01-01-2010, 12:31 PM   #76
J.H
Frak.

I wasn't making out like the game is easy by the way I struggled as well I just didn't find that many of them illogical, I guess I'm strange .

And yeah I think the more you play adventure games the more you actually get into the whole key fits lock notions.
Old 01-01-2010, 12:51 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
I wasn't making out like the game is easy by the way I struggled as well I just didn't find that many of them illogical, I guess I'm strange .

And yeah I think the more you play adventure games the more you actually get into the whole key fits lock notions.
Yeah, I think my main complaint post was a combination of ignorance and frustration. While some points I made I will stand by, I now understand the logic in each of the puzzles, just couldn't open my mind beforehand is all.

I am enjoying both SOMI and BS1 a lot right now. playing them each at least 2 hours a day (have lots of time off ) and while I do dread the next time I get stuck,I am still drawn to them like a moth to light. So even if im not quite clever enough, I still enjoy trying :p
Old 01-01-2010, 03:24 PM   #78
J.H
Frak.

The fact you're enjoying them is the most important thing man. And yeah you'll get stuck and you'll want to break your monitor but when you solve that puzzle without consulting a walkthrough you'll feel great .
Old 01-01-2010, 04:19 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
when you solve that puzzle without consulting a walkthrough you'll feel great .
I know, its brilliant, definitely more rewarding that getting a headshot in counter-strike anyway Thats why I feel horrible after I use a guide.

Problem is I find it hard not to go for the walkthroughs when im really impatient with a certain puzzle.. I SHOULD just quit the game and come back to it later, but I never like leaving a game on a negative as I fear I might never go back.

I need to get my bro to ban any walkthrough sites from my browser and hide the password...............OR I could develop a dignifying amount of self-discipline
Old 01-01-2010, 10:52 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idrisguitar View Post
Because my soul just dissolves a little every time I cave in and look at a guide, but knowing me its either that or getting so frustrated.
I don't know if you do already, but I suggest using Universal Hint System instead of a normal walkthrough, because sometimes all you need is a small hint and not the whole puzzle explained. It makes me feel like I'm cheating less