You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure New To The Genre, Hoping For Some Guidance

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2009, 11:00 AM   #21

Your Definitely List mostly has older games that may present problems on modern Windows, but almost all of them can be made to run very well on new machines. Sanitarium may be a crap shoot, but be sure that you get the 2nd release. The only one that I don't know about is Drawn: Painted Tower. All of the rest I have been able to get to run on Win7-64. The Broken Swords, Sam and Max and Secret of Monkey Island can be played with ScummVM, if not purchased from Steam or GOG. Support for Sanitarium is being added to ScummVM, but it may be a while before completed. The Longest Journey may require DLLs from the demo. The Last Express has a DOS version that can easily be played in DOSBox. The Gabriel Knights and most older Sierra games can be installed with these new Sierra installers that will allow them to run on modern Windows.
Old 12-25-2009, 11:14 AM   #22
It's Hard To Be Humble

Oh, Idrisguitar, you're like a happy little Christmas present for this forum: a new AGer. You have no idea how happy it makes folks around here to give advice to new players.

For my part, I see that the list is looking pretty healthy. They've already recommended The Longest Journey, Dreamfall, The Last Express, Obsidian, The Journeyman Project II (one and three are good, too, though the former is somewhat primitive), Broken Sword (incidentally, you might like the fourth installment as well), Gabriel Knight, Indiana Jones & the Fate of Atlantis, Still Life 1 (highly recommended), Syberia, and even The Secret of Monkey Island. I see you've spotted Myst V. I'm gonna go one further and add that any of the first four Myst games are pretty engrossing, too, and the graphics are stunning.

I'm gonna add a few more to your list of games to read over: Temujin, Shivers, and Black Dahlia. They're not as easy to find as some of the bigger hits, but they really were very special games in their own right (FYI: You can find reviews for all of these games here on AdventureGamers.com).

I'd also like to suggest you have a look at Uru: Ages Beyond Myst set. Sadly, the online game failed to draw enough subscribers to keep it running (not enough new gameplay, I think), but the original standalone games were fantastic.

That's all I can think of at the moment. And don't worry too much if some of us start getting surly. This is a very active and lively group of people, and opinions differ wildly at times.

Oh, and Welcome aboard!
Old 12-25-2009, 02:11 PM   #23

Well, let's begin with the Lucasarts classics. From your description, I'd recommend the following from the legendary AG creators:
  • Grim Fandango - The best story in all of Lucasarts's games in my opinion. I got more involved in Manny's and Glottis's stories than I have in any other adventure games. I was actually touched by when the game ended. Killer soundtrack and atmosphere too. Only the puzzle and graphics part could use a bit of improvement, but it's definitely a game you should try out I think. Keep in mind that there's a wonderful website called the 'Universal Hint System' for adventure games, which give you more and more precise hints as you are stuck for any game in their database. You don't feel like cheating when you use it if you're stuck.
  • Full Throttle - Awesome atmosphere, really good story, killer music. It's also very, very short so you won't get bored before you finish it. It reminds me of feature films, something like a Die Hard flick or similar.
  • Indiana Jones & the Fate of Atlantis - Captures the Indiana Jones feeling wonderfully. If you enjoy the indy movies or epic adventure flicks from the latter part of last century, try it out. Involving story, too, and you get to make choices that alter the game's course quite a bit.

If you don't mind getting a Nintendo DS and don't mind playing a more puzzle-oriented game than the traditional adventure games, I might recommend the Professor Layton games. The storylines are quite alright if not the most in-depth or involving, but the atmosphere is top notch, as are the graphics and the puzzles themselves. There are no dialogue or inventory puzzles except a couple of bonus games, it's just brainteasers ranging from riddles to math problems.

The Longest Journey is another epic game you might want to try out. Wonderful story, wonderful game. Very, very interesting world.

I don't really know which games to recommend from the more recent releases - I myself haven't enjoyed many of them that much. other than Samorosts and Machinarium. The first Runaway game was pretty fun. You might want to keep an eye on 'The Whispered World' and 'The Book of Unwritten Tales'. They're already out in German and should be released soon in English as well. There's also a new game coming called 'A New Beginning' which looks very beautiful and interesting and might very well fill your requirements pretty well. But really, I'd try the three lucasarts games I mentioned above first. They really are good enough to play even if they are over ten years old already.

A short mention about Telltale Games - while they've done wonders to the Advanture Game scene, the episodic games aren't really up to par with regards of art, atmosphere, audio or plot, so I'd stick to the full-length stuff if I were you. Especially as you don't seem to be *that* much into comedy, which they mostly represent.
Old 12-25-2009, 02:15 PM   #24
Strategy Guide Author

Yeah, you are making a big mistake if you don't get Tex Murphy 3, 4, and 5. Even if you don't think you'll like them, trust me. You will.

Not to mention they are like $6.99 at GOG. That's a huge amount of awesome gaming for $21 bucks.
Old 12-25-2009, 05:45 PM   #25

Thanks guys so much to add to the list, you really are great help

Definitely have enough to truly get buying now (probably enough to keep my entertained for a year )

Going out on sunday (my bday) will try and trawl through the 2nd hand game shops and find as many as possible, I really want to play broken sword 1 and the longest journey as a priority I think. then the rest will naturally follow.

Might just leave the old games till later as im not sure i will be able to get them working (although I hear the last express works on win7 without dosbox or anything else. so I will try and pick that up.)

I'm sure once i play through many of the more moderns games, i will find myself with no choice but to track down all the older classic and make them work on my pc. (gabriel knight, sanitaruim, and the older lucasarts stuff (whatever i cant find on steam that is, like grim fandango )

Last edited by Idrisguitar; 12-25-2009 at 06:33 PM.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:39 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idrisguitar View Post
Thanks guys so much to add to the list, you really are great help

Definitely have enough to truly get buying now (probably enough to keep my entertained for a year )

Going out on sunday (my bday) will try and trawl through the 2nd hand game shops and find as many as possible, I really want to play broken sword 1 and the longest journey as a priority I think. then the rest will naturally follow.

Might just leave the old games till later as im not sure i will be able to get them working (although I hear the last express works on win7 without dosbox or anything else. so I will try and pick that up.)

I'm sure once i play through many of the more moderns games, i will find myself with no choice but to track down all the older classic and make them work on my pc. (gabriel knight, sanitaruim, and the older lucasarts stuff (whatever i cant find on steam that is, like grim fandango )
I don't understand?!

You can get Longest Journey, Sanitarium, Tex Murphy series, Feeble Files, Broken Sword and more on sale at gog.com right now. They are already optimized for XP/Vista/win7. You don't need to look for them in garage sales or mess with your old computer and dosbox.

I'm playing Sanitarium from GoG and it's working 100% on Vista.

Also the LucasArts Adventure Pack is 2.49$ and Monkey Island SE is 4.99$ on Steam

http://store.steampowered.com/

They are already optimized for XP/Vista, you just need Steam (1 minute download)

You chances of finding any of these games in 2nd hand shops are slim (I would even say zero), some of them were very rare and hard to find even when they came out at full price!!

If you can't buy digital copies on Adventure Shop, Direct2Drive, GamersGate, Steam or GoG try eBay for the original cds.

http://www.gamersgate.com/
http://us-adventureshop.gamesplanet.com/
http://www.gog.com/en/frontpage/
http://www.direct2drive.com/

Last edited by No_doubtsy; 12-25-2009 at 11:26 PM.
Old 12-26-2009, 03:32 AM   #27

Thanks, I dont know why I didn't realise that. Thanks so much

I will be buying sanitarium, tex murphy 3 and broken sword 2 right now
(broken sword 1 doesn't seem to be there, but I will ebay it as scummvm seems to play it without too much hassle from my forum searching )

Also just got beneath a steel sky remastered for my ipod to hold me over while I wait.

Thanks again

Last edited by Idrisguitar; 12-26-2009 at 03:51 AM.
Old 12-26-2009, 05:14 AM   #28
The Quiet One

I was just about to mention Beneath a Steel Sky as nobody seems to have recommended it. It's another classic from Revolution - the same people behind the Broken Sword games. You can download the original PC version for free from GOG.com and ScummVM.

I'd strongly advice that you play Broken Sword 1 before 2, Idrisguitar. Also, don't disregard Broken Sword 3. Whilst a number of people were/are disappointed with it, and it does have a few issues, IMO it's a great game and much better than Broken Sword 4.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 12-26-2009, 06:08 AM   #29
M-E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzoid View Post
I was just about to mention Beneath a Steel Sky as nobody seems to have recommended it. It's another classic from Revolution - the same people behind the Broken Sword games. You can download the original PC version for free from GOG.com and ScummVM.

I'd strongly advice that you play Broken Sword 1 before 2, Idrisguitar. Also, don't disregard Broken Sword 3. Whilst a number of people were/are disappointed with it, and it does have a few issues, IMO it's a great game and much better than Broken Sword 4.
And it's only $4.49 in a pack with Broken Sword 2 on Steam:

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/2567/

I always wondered why Broken Sword 1 isn't on Steam or the other download services. Is it because they are planning to release the Directors Cut anytime soon on PC?
Old 12-26-2009, 06:42 AM   #30

yeah probably.

i will be playing BS1 before 2 dont worry

getting it off ebay.
Old 12-26-2009, 08:10 AM   #31
The Quiet One

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-E View Post
I always wondered why Broken Sword 1 isn't on Steam or the other download services. Is it because they are planning to release the Directors Cut anytime soon on PC?
Well, that, and it's probably just like with Broken Sword 4. THQ published Broken Sword 4 and (I think) because it's under their name, for another year or so, Revolution can't re-release it themselves on the likes of Steam, GOG etc. I think UbiSoft published the Director's Cut so the same thing applies. But as you say, it's also because they'll be releasing a PC version and an iPhone version (iSword) next year.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 12-26-2009, 10:57 AM   #32

If you want to go for atmosphere you might also try the Frogwares Sherlock Holmes series. Very atmospheric games they are. I always really feel as if I'm walking through Conan Doyle's London. Even if you're not an SH fan you might still very well enjoy them and as far as soundtrack goes you almost can't go any better. All the music is top notch and really helps level the atmosphere and there is no theme that gets me cheering the way the SH one does. Of course you're probably not gonna rave about them the way I do. (there not to highly regarded here I believe) But even if you don't like the story you will most certainly still enjoy the atmosphere. The only reasson I can think of you wouldn't is if you have a serious dislike for historical games (particularly with literary themes) Then I would stay as far away from them as possible.

Also they're very recent so you shouldn't have a problem running them on your computer.

PS : I've never played the first one so I can't vouch for that one
Old 12-26-2009, 12:31 PM   #33

Is it the sherlock holmes chronicles? (includes the awakened) as I have them on my maybe list, but from what you have said i might give them a go sooner.

Woo just bought sanitarium and got it running on my win7 64

Thanks again guys, Will be buying from all the online stores as well as sold-out.co.uk who have digital and hard copies of very rare games (like broken sword trilogy )

So soon enough I will have enough adventure games for the next few months, and maybe in a few weeks (or probably more) I can be a lot more active on this great site, and have a clue what im actually talking about.

Last edited by Idrisguitar; 12-26-2009 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:51 PM   #34
J.H
Frak.

That's great. You must let us know how you're getting on .
Old 12-26-2009, 05:50 PM   #35

Idrisguitar, I see you're a big Shenmue fan like myself. In that case, Dreamfall: The Longest Journey is defintely an adventure you shouldn't miss out on. The 'combat' in Dreamfall may not hold a candle to Shenmue, but the story and atmosphere are second-to-none. I suggest playing through The Longest Journey first, though if you don't mind older games.

Also, Syberia I & II. Excellent games
Old 12-26-2009, 05:50 PM   #36

Quote:
Is it the sherlock holmes chronicles? (includes the awakened) as I have them on my maybe list, but from what you have said i might give them a go sooner.

Woo just bought sanitarium and got it running on my win7 64

Thanks again guys, Will be buying from all the online stores as well as sold-out.co.uk who have digital and hard copies of very rare games (like broken sword trilogy )

So soon enough I will have enough adventure games for the next few months, and maybe in a few weeks (or probably more) I can be a lot more active on this great site, and have a clue what im actually talking about.
That sure is the games I mean ! Never knew they were called Chronicles. I just call them "The Frogwares SH series. I actually thought Chronicles was the other series by some unknown eastern european developer. They're considered very good. Though I can't tell you much about them since I've never played them.

Also BS trilogy, way to go ! I'm sure you'll love them. Maybe even the third one, then I won't be alone in that anymore. Ah wishful thinking. If you love them please, please, please don't buy the fourth one (Angel of Death) since it'll surely ruin your opinion of the series.

Also I second the TLJ suggestion though I think you might be a bit dissapointed with Syberia. They're fantasticly beautiful games and very atmospheric but a little thin on the story. Well that's my opinion anyway.
Old 12-26-2009, 06:30 PM   #37

I think the chronicles title just applies to the multipack package available on amazon.

Also I'm not very harsh on games myself, so I dont think ill have too much trouble with any of the broken swords or syberias. I just voiced my priorities to get the best possible choice, but when it comes down to it, if the game is well made I will always enjoy and finish it

Started playing Broken Sword 1 (bought from sold-out.co.uk download service, using Scummvm ) and I LOVE the beginning so far, the animation and art is beautiful, and the voiceovers and music are brilliant, so far exactly what I was looking for.

Longest Journey (bought off GOG.com) will come after this, and by then im sure ill be a total adventure junkie.

Thanks again for your help guys and please keep the conversation going ,

Last edited by Idrisguitar; 12-26-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:57 PM   #38
LA-S-LE

Quote:
Broken Sword 1+2
The Last Express
Sanitarium
Sam and Max
Secret of Monkey Island
Gabriel Knight 1+2+3
I'd suggest you start with those. That's enough to draw you into the genre.
Old 12-26-2009, 08:27 PM   #39

Thanks a lot,

Thats the plan now anyway (along with the longest journey)

gonna try and get my dads old version of windows 98 working on virtual pc too. hopefully that works so i can play all the old games i want without worry
Old 12-26-2009, 11:59 PM   #40

Quote:
gonna try and get my dads old version of windows 98 working on virtual pc too. hopefully that works so i can play all the old games i want without worry
No need of that. There are much better and easier solutions.