Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Sam & Max 2010 (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/25970-sam-max-2010-a.html)

Lucien21 12-10-2009 08:32 AM

Sam & Max 2010

http://www.telltalegames.com/samandmax2010

Eurogamer is reporting a new page at Telltale asking to sign up to Freelance Police Special Forces.

Is an official Season 3 announcement due?

DustyShinigami 12-10-2009 08:34 AM

I was just about to create this thread when I saw the article over at GameSpot.

It would make sense for it to be a new season of Sam & Max considering that Tales... has finished (for now).

jcornwall 12-10-2009 01:45 PM

I hope Telltale mixes the series up a bit.

I enjoyed season 1 but the second season was too much of the same for my liking. The Xmas episode was fun but I didn't like the rest.

kadji-kun 12-10-2009 02:45 PM

I felt season 2 was far from the same thing.

Sughly 12-10-2009 04:31 PM

I hate Telltale. So much. I wish they would go away and leave these great titles alone :frown:

David Mouse 12-10-2009 04:39 PM

Whatever for? I personally like the new Sam and Max more than the old one.

Sughly 12-10-2009 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Mouse (Post 532493)
Whatever for? I personally like the new Sam and Max more than the old one.

Well, to each his own. But as I queried here with that amazingly bad screenshot, I'm not sure how anyone can enjoy something like this over the absolute charm of the first. The original's animation had heart. Telltale wouldn't know how to put heart into their visual style if it... well, they just don't okay. In said thread you'll see I'm not alone either.

EDIT: to be fair, you're not alone in that thread either. Again, to each his own.

kadji-kun 12-10-2009 06:56 PM

All they did was take everything good from the original games and made it accessible to everyone. This means they will have to tone down the visuals to suit all computers.

Plus, I never once felt that the visuals distracted me.

fov 12-10-2009 07:10 PM

The screenshot you posted is one of the first released from the first Sam & Max season, in the summer of 2006. Their tech has come a long way since then.

You're entitled to your opinion of course, but I don't think it's fair to hold up a screenshot from 3+ years ago as an unequivocal reason for why a new Sam & Max season is going to suck. (Have you played any Telltale games, or is your opinion solely based on screenshots?)

Quote:

Telltale wouldn't know how to put heart into their visual style if it... well, they just don't okay.
You'd be surprised. I know firsthand how hard the folks at Telltale work, and "putting their heart into it" doesn't begin to describe it. But it sounds like you're determined to hate them no matter what, so it's probably not worth discussing.

Sughly 12-10-2009 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fov (Post 532504)
I don't think it's fair to hold up a screenshot from 3+ years ago as an unequivocal reason for why a new Sam & Max season is going to suck. (Have you played any Telltale games, or is your opinion solely based on screenshots?)

Yeah it is old, and yes I did play Sam & Max season one and have played the more recent Tales of Monkey Island. Sure, it's got some visual improvements, but not much. Clunky camera angles, an inventory combination system that's annoying, uninteresting environments, and so on...

Quote:

You'd be surprised. I know firsthand how hard the folks at Telltale work, and "putting their heart into it" doesn't begin to describe it. But it sounds like you're determined to hate them no matter what, so it's probably not worth discussing.

Putting your heart into something is one thing, and I don't doubt they do. But putting heart into the look of something is different. The games just feel cold and cheap. As you say though, only my opinion.

skeeter_93 12-10-2009 08:46 PM

Hmmm, I tried to sign up, but it said I already was, so it must just be the Telltale Interloper instead of a special Sam and Max news thing? Ah well...

varunmehta 12-11-2009 12:15 AM

There are 2 ways to look at it:

A. You like the new games, in which case it's Christmas come early. Plus it's not like Lucas Arts is doing anything new with these franchises.
B. You don't like them, in which case you ignore their existence.

So I fail to understand how making new Sam & Max or Monkey Island games can be a bad thing.

kadji-kun 12-11-2009 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sughly (Post 532513)
Yeah it is old, and yes I did play Sam & Max season one and have played the more recent Tales of Monkey Island. Sure, it's got some visual improvements, but not much. Clunky camera angles, an inventory combination system that's annoying, uninteresting environments, and so on...

There is absolutely nothing wrong with those things! It sounds more like you have a grudge against telltale or you just don't like these types of games.

Antaios 12-11-2009 02:31 AM

There is only one thing I wish about this third seasons, and that's Telltale sticking to the point and click controls instead of the appalling ToMI (and Wallace & Gromit) keyboard plus mouse approach.

(those controls were also the only gripes I had with the latter two games/series)

Keregioz 12-11-2009 03:12 AM

Quote:

but it sounds like you're determined to hate them no matter what, so it's probably not worth discussing.

+1

Quote:

Originally Posted by antaios (Post 532536)
there is only one thing i wish about this third seasons, and that's telltale sticking to the point and click controls instead of the appalling tomi (and wallace & gromit) keyboard plus mouse approach.

(those controls were also the only gripes i had with the latter two games/series)

+1

Pinion 12-11-2009 08:25 AM

Sam & Max 2010

Yay! I was just wondering the other day when I'd here about the next Sam & Max. I found 6 Easter eggs at this site too. :D

tabacco 12-11-2009 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinion (Post 532552)

Yay! I was just wondering the other day when I'd here about the next Sam & Max. I found 6 Easter eggs at this site too. :D

Nice to hear web easter eggs are back. We used to hide easter eggs all over the Sam & Max sites back when we still had time to do that :)

(There's still one in the HTTP headers for telltalegames.com by the way)

HieroHero 12-13-2009 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sughly (Post 532497)
Well, to each his own. But as I queried here with that amazingly bad screenshot, I'm not sure how anyone can enjoy something like this over the absolute charm of the first. The original's animation had heart. Telltale wouldn't know how to put heart into their visual style if it... well, they just don't okay. In said thread you'll see I'm not alone either.

EDIT: to be fair, you're not alone in that thread either. Again, to each his own.

Sam & Max was always about the writing..and it being funny.. Season 2 of Sam & Max was one of the funniest games I've played in the last 10 years.. I think the writing stacks up against the very best of the games industry today. You can complain about the visual style all you like but I think you are missing the point. :7

Phod 12-13-2009 10:03 PM

We're lucky to have gotten Sam & Max S1 and S2 and any more.

And Tales of Monkey Island.

I hope Telltale continues to make more seasons of anything they want and I'd love to see other "classics" brought back.

tastebud 12-14-2009 03:17 AM

i predict its gonna be a full retail stand-alone game. it'll be handdrawn and have all the animations done by steve purcell. mark my words.

<wakes up>