You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2009, 03:56 AM   #21

EDIT: I'm actually changing my tune. I do think Telltale really need to step up and create something original rather than leeching off existing legacies but I am also glad something like this exists: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvbtcCpWf-w

Last edited by thejobloshow; 12-15-2009 at 04:04 AM.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:40 AM   #22

Hmm. For some reason I don't feel excited about a third season of S&M. While I enjoyed some of the S&M, ToMI, W&G episodes, I am starting to feel tired of this endless stream of bite-sized puzzlers with repetitive characters, formats, and themes. With so many of them floating around me and squeaking "I am Guybrush Treepwood, mighty pirate!" (if you get the analogy), it's starting to get a bit annoying. Personally, I would much rather see the incredibly talented folks at TellTale direct their efforts at producing a full-scale original adventure than perpetuating the various licenses. It seems like the company has matured enough at this point to be able to take up such a challenge.

Then again, I somehow doubt that we will see this any time soon with the marketing zombies at the helm going after tried-and-proven formulas. Just look at the movie industry which these days seems to be incapable of delivering anything better than witless derivatives.

Prove me wrong, TellTale - you have been challenged!
Old 12-20-2009, 12:46 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFrankenstein View Post
Personally, I would much rather see the incredibly talented folks at TellTale direct their efforts at producing a full-scale original adventure than perpetuating the various licenses. It seems like the company has matured enough at this point to be able to take up such a challenge.
I'd like to see them create something original or tackle more dramatic themes and stories, but let's not forget why and how this company was created. Telltale Games was founded with the goal of releasing episodic content for established franchises, akin to what television studios do with their flagship series.

We could wish all we want for other things but that's beyond the point. Telltale's mission statement and overall goals have met with tremendous and well deserved success. Besides, it's not like every single game company fits that mold, resulting in poor product selection for players; on the contrary, Telltale is pretty much the only studio creating (and excelling at) this particular type of content.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:20 PM   #24
Banned User

The thing is that there are plenty of Serious/Original games out there. I could care less about them. Telltale is just great at what they do, and I think it sucks that some people want to change what isn't broken.

If we want a Gabriel Knight type game, then wait for Gray Matter.

Seriously, this is their niche. I'd prefer getting the new S&M now than wait until a more serious project is completed.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:48 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadji-kun View Post
I'd prefer getting the new S&M now than wait until a more serious project is completed.
Oh definitely. In fact, I can't hardly wait to see the new Sam & Max series, especially after the superb Tales of Monkey Island. I think we're in for a treat. And as you say, we already got plenty of more "serious" games out there to choose from anyway.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:36 PM   #26

I guess, if I were to choose quality, speed, or quantity... I'd go for quality. Exactly because there are so many adventure games out there these days, I am fine waiting for a bit if that would bring me something more thought out and polished. It does seem like the TellTale shop cranked a few too many episodes out over the last year. So, all I am saying is that perhaps they could slow down the pace a bit and surprise us! More S&M episodes is hardly shocking.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:15 PM   #27

Quote:
More S&M episodes is hardly shocking.
True. But then, I don't consider Wallace & Gromit's Grand Adventures or Tales of Monkey Island to be "more of the same" either. 2009 was a very special and amazing year for Telltale. The Wallace & Gromit license from Aardman came as a big surprise to me, for example. And then came Monkey Island, which many (myself included) thought would never come back, in any form.

In light of all this, and considering it is Telltale's goal to produce recurrent, episodic material, I don't see Sam & Max's new series as a disappointment. I actually feel quite the opposite. Yes, the crime fighting duo's return was expected, and isn't exactly shocking news. However, I fail to see how it can potentially prevent Telltale from coming up with different series in the meantime, just as they always do.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:12 AM   #28
Citizen of Bizarro World

I'm pretty sure at this point we'll never see the rest of Bone.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 12-21-2009, 01:33 AM   #29

IMO telltale games suffer from rushed writing. I mean that they write episode after episode instead they should write coherent script for entire series. That way when they start to make one of the episodes they don't have to rush the script to meet the deadline(episode rls date), they can focus on the game.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:37 AM   #30
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maquisard View Post
I'm pretty sure at this point we'll never see the rest of Bone.
Indeed. Their agreement with Jeff Smith has ended.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:59 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant View Post
IMO telltale games suffer from rushed writing. I mean that they write episode after episode instead they should write coherent script for entire series. That way when they start to make one of the episodes they don't have to rush the script to meet the deadline(episode rls date), they can focus on the game.
Again, Telltale's main goal is to produce recurrent and episodic material that's released in a CONSISTENT fashion. So taking a year or two to pen down a storyline is out of the question for this business model.

Last edited by 3rdFloor; 12-21-2009 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:25 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadWolf View Post
... question for this business model.
They should change their model!! I don't think that I will buy next episode of any game they produce. I would rather wait for good MI, S'N'M games, then play their 'decent' adventure games.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:49 PM   #33
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant View Post
They should change their model!! I don't think that I will buy next episode of any game they produce. I would rather wait for good MI, S'N'M games, then play their 'decent' adventure games.
Yeah, but you keep playing the less than decent non-telltale adventure games.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:54 PM   #34
Staff Member

The whole argument of whether episodic releases work or not is a topic in itself, but I will briefly say I think it works great for Telltale. A lot of people used to think the genre to be dead, but Telltale sparked a surge of interest back into it. Regular and constant releases of high quality (opinion) gets the non-us interested and listening, far more than they would if Telltale was bringing out one single release a year. Press wouldn't cover that every month, but they do with episodes. Obviously Telltale aren't the only company releasing adventure games, but they are an integral part.

Tales was definitely a huge step up for the company in terms of quality, and I'm excited to see where this takes us for Sam & Max. I'm not a fan of the recycled content in the past two seasons, and I really hope they find a way to mix everything up and make it fresh. I don't just mean putting a few new items in the office or redecorating Bosco's, I'd like to see everything brand new in each episode and taking the duo out off the usual street 'hub'. The concept art teased on the official site seems promising, so hopefully we'll be getting some more information soon in the new year.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:24 PM   #35
Under pressure.

I'm really looking forward to Sam and Max. I hope (and expect) they will take all the improvements they made since Wallace & Gromit and Tales of Monkey Island and put it in there. If you compare Sam and Max with aforementioned games, you'll see a difference of night and day. More details, less confined feeling of the game world...

We'll have to wait and see, though.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:28 PM   #36
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinchpenny View Post
Tales was definitely a huge step up for the company in terms of quality, and I'm excited to see where this takes us for Sam & Max. I'm not a fan of the recycled content in the past two seasons, and I really hope they find a way to mix everything up and make it fresh. I don't just mean putting a few new items in the office or redecorating Bosco's, I'd like to see everything brand new in each episode and taking the duo out off the usual street 'hub'. The concept art teased on the official site seems promising, so hopefully we'll be getting some more information soon in the new year.
The way we work is contingent on cycling some existing content in and out, but I think you'll like the way it's handled in the upcoming game. We've learned a lot since Season Two, from making Strong Bad, Wallace & Gromit, and Tales of MI.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:39 PM   #37

Default sam and max/telltale

Having played the other Telltale series since season 2 it's pretty clear that their is no game funnier than Sam & Max.. When I play telltale's Sam & max games I'm pretty much laughing non-stop. Every line of dialogue is a chance for a joke.. So yeah I can't wait for season 3.

The entire company was formed on the basis of episodic, digital content, consistent releases. It has proven to be a great move because that is exactly where the video games industry was heading.. Adventure games were left behind in the 90s..but Telltale has put them on the cutting edge..by this move. No one has been able to do release monthly episodes on schedule like Telltale. It doesn't give them a lot of time but it's a financially viable business model. If they made that 1 big game(their first game was Bone) like many are suggesting they would probably no longer exist. So yeah their are pros and cons to the model but I think its been vital to their success.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:41 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
The way we work is contingent on cycling some existing content in and out, but I think you'll like the way it's handled in the upcoming game. We've learned a lot since Season Two, from making Strong Bad, Wallace & Gromit, and Tales of MI.
Well the more games you make, and now 11 episodes in, you have a lot more assets to choose from if you have to recycle.. but yeah I don't want to spend too much time around the office and street either
Old 01-07-2010, 06:13 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by HieroHero View Post
Adventure games were left behind in the 90s..but Telltale has put them on the cutting edge..by this move.
TellTale have done very well, but they aren't the savior of the adventure games. There was a period of decline in adventure game publishing between 1999 and 2002 or so, but it was the result of the management of the major US development studios putting all their bets on FPS and such. However the interest in this kind of games was never dead, especially in Europe where certain independent development studios managed to take up the slack and put together some amazing titles. To me TLJ, Syberia, Still Life, Farenheit lead the pack. Episodes don't get even close to the sense of immersion and story completion in these games.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:48 PM   #40
Banned User

Quote:
TellTale have done very well, but they aren't the savior of the adventure games. There was a period of decline in adventure game publishing between 1999 and 2002 or so, but it was the result of the management of the major US development studios putting all their bets on FPS and such. However the interest in this kind of games was never dead, especially in Europe where certain independent development studios managed to take up the slack and put together some amazing titles. To me TLJ, Syberia, Still Life, Farenheit lead the pack. Episodes don't get even close to the sense of immersion and story completion in these games.
Don't know about you, but they sort of are the savior of the adventure genre. Its bringing back the genre to the mainstream. If that isn't being a savior, then I don't know what is.