You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure The New Silent Hill game has no combat.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2009, 02:07 PM   #21
Banned User

The game is more adventure than action. The only action sequences are running from the threat.

Picture this game a mix between myst and dreamfall. Minus the pathetic attempt at fighting.

The physics elements create a nice feel to the puzzles. This game should never be played on any platform other than the wii.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:52 AM   #22
Cabbage Merchant

Send a message via MSN to HaroldO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadji-kun View Post
The physics elements create a nice feel to the puzzles. This game should never be played on any platform other than the wii.
My thoughts exactly. I'll probably just buy this one when I finally have a wii, which should take about 2 years, but I have no problem waiting this much. I loved the concept of this re-imagining. I consider the first Silent Hill along with The Longest Journey the best games of all time and I doubt this new one can take the original place in my heart but I still very much want to play it.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:15 AM   #23

Send a message via MSN to kuddles

On my first playthrough, I'm being completely honest for the psychological profile stuff. I'm not sure I'm comfortable that every woman in the game is both highly sexual and extremely aggressive to me at the same time. The truth hurts, I guess.

My only caveat is one that has come up over and over again with Wii games, which is that it doesn't take into account that I'm left-handed so I prefer Wiimote in my left hand and the nunchuck in my right, so sometimes it doesn't register my gesture-based movements correctly since the positioning isn't where it thinks it should be. Luckily reflexes are only important in a small portion of the overall game.

Kudos to them for using the Wii capabilities properly, especially the speaker on the Wiimote and the physics puzzles. I can't imagine the experience being as good when it comes out on the PS2.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:52 AM   #24

I definitely want to at least try this game out if not outright buy it.

Maybe I'll try to rent it soon.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:57 AM   #25
Headbanger

So how many played it? To me it was nearly a masterpiece.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:51 AM   #26

Played it and loved it. Not my favorite in the series, the escape sequences could be really annoying, but generally a good addition to the series.

Just finished:Jurassic Park, Mata Hari
Playing now:Assassin's Creed 2, So Blonde
To be continued:Final Fantasy 13
Old 03-16-2011, 11:09 AM   #27
It's Hard To Be Humble

Played it. Haven't finished it. Got stuck in a chase sequence that I simply have not been able to escape, and it keeps restarting at exactly the same hopeless point, mere seconds from the mob. I figure I'll have to restart the whole game and figure out where I went wrong somehow. I just haven't been determined enough to redo all of that work. REALLY wish there was a better save system than the standard action gamer autosave feature.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:58 AM   #28
She Wants Revenge

I guess this is still as scary as the other titles? I don't think I'll touch it even though I have appreciation towards the series. I even regret I watched the movie, that was already too scary for me.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:43 PM   #29
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

The chase sequences in this game were awful which is a shame because the rest of it was really quite good. I loved the story that changed due to how you played and the exploration moments were fantastic, it really felt like an adventure game most of the time. But those chases...they were almost unplayable, and they completely robbed the game of any scares. All suspense is removed when you clearly divide the moments of danger from the moments of safety.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 03-18-2011, 09:54 AM   #30
It's Hard To Be Humble

I don't know if I agree with that, but I will say that, being stuck in one of those chase sequences, it's certainly frustrating if you don't know where you need to go or how to get there. I get the whole flight/fright idea, and personally, I think it's a far more honest approach than the numerous BS macho, gun-toting, zombie-killing games we've seen to date. Most gamers would piss themselves and faint if they ever had to live through what their avatars do. What I really like about the game is that it is deep, intense, well thought out, and suspenseful, which is exactly what I wanted going in.

I don't resent the chase sequences, and I don't resent how confusing it is to be running heedlessly toward glowing blue stuff you can barely see clearly in order to escape. It's doable. I've beaten a number of those sequences, though I still have very little idea as to how I did it. But the mobbing thing is very discouraging. Perhaps a realistic (for certain values of realism) situation, but still, not a lot of fun for me, especially since, as mentioned, I can't progress.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:53 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in Limbo View Post
I don't know if I agree with that, but I will say that, being stuck in one of those chase sequences, it's certainly frustrating if you don't know where you need to go or how to get there. I get the whole flight/fright idea, and personally, I think it's a far more honest approach than the numerous BS macho, gun-toting, zombie-killing games we've seen to date

Didn't read everyone else posts on this thread, but the silent hill games like 1-3 and 4 didn't have a you playing a macho, gun-toting character. More like a guy or women who didn't look like they had any experiences using fire arms. But if that's not what your saying then comparing those games to what else is on the market makes Silent Hill stand out.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:47 PM   #32
It's Hard To Be Humble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenomsandwich View Post
.But if that's not what your saying then comparing those games to what else is on the market makes Silent Hill stand out.
Well, while Silent Hill as a franchise was never as violent as Resident Evil (survival horror in general, whether first or third person, tends to be very violent) and the like, I think you will find that many of the folks who inhabit this forum aren't particularly sympathetic toward games that rely heavily on combat of any sort (We do have a General forum for that sort of thing). Silent Hill has a fascinating story and great atmosphere, but many of us, myself included, aren't that interested in fighting sequences (I can handle action and RPG games just fine; I simply don't enjoy them as much).

What I particularly enjoy about Shattered Memories is the opportunity to go back and explore that original story on something more closely resembling my own terms. I don't begrudge folks who enjoy or prefer violent action in their games, but I for one came to explore an interesting story environment, not beat and/or shoot my way to the grand finale. Courses for horses, as they say.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:37 AM   #33
handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenomsandwich View Post
Didn't read everyone else posts on this thread, but the silent hill games like 1-3 and 4 didn't have a you playing a macho, gun-toting character. More like a guy or women who didn't look like they had any experiences using fire arms.
But they seriously had great aim and some pretty strong harms, don't you think? The only thing the monsters had to their advantage was being bullet sponges for most of the time, the poor bastards.

I didn't miss all that much the way you fight in previous games because to me the ice did basically the same thing the static noise did in previous games: you see\hear it = you run like hell (not that they were scary to fight but more bullets tend to make bosses less cocky).
Old 03-21-2011, 09:08 AM   #34
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in Limbo View Post
Played it. Haven't finished it. Got stuck in a chase sequence that I simply have not been able to escape, and it keeps restarting at exactly the same hopeless point, mere seconds from the mob. I figure I'll have to restart the whole game and figure out where I went wrong somehow. I just haven't been determined enough to redo all of that work. REALLY wish there was a better save system than the standard action gamer autosave feature.
Which system are you playing on? You can save whenever you want on the PS2 version.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:16 PM   #35
It's Hard To Be Humble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke View Post
Which system are you playing on? You can save whenever you want on the PS2 version.
Nintendo Wii. The action is handled physically with the wiimote and nunchuk attachment tracking you as you elbow an forearm slash through your opponents.

I haven't noticed an option to simply pause and save progress at any point, though I may have simply overlooked it. The game tends to sort of rewind to what it considers the logical entry point to whatever dilemma you may have been overwhelmed by. Problem is, in this case, it keeps depositing me mere feet away from the oncoming gang of creatures, and a few more just a little ways ahead of me, and I can't seem to find an alternate route. or clearer path to what I 'think' is the way out.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:00 PM   #36

I reviewed this game last year on my website here:

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories Review - Alternative Magazine Online

I actually enjoyed it so much I awarded it best Wii Game of 2010 on AMO. I feel that it is a pretty underrated game actually: adventure gamers may well find that they get a lot more out of the experience than the target audience (survival horror fans) did.