You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Free Sherlock Holmes games

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2009, 07:58 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to valypan Send a message via MSN to valypan Send a message via Yahoo to valypan
Default Free Sherlock Holmes games

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but two free detective games have been unveiled in order to promote the new Guy Ritchie´s movie " Sherlock Holmes". Both games are played online and one requires a Facebook account, but they seem engaging and fun , so thought I would mention it for people who want to have a go. Here are the links to the two games:

221 Baker Street

Unlock Your Sherlock
Old 12-05-2009, 12:55 PM   #2

I will definitely NOT play thes games since I hinghly resent the new Sherlock Holmes movie. I think it's the most horrible adaptation ever made. If you can even call it that. And I'm sure Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is turning round in his grave right now. So out of protest I wll stay away from everything that has even the slightest connection to it no matter how good it sounds

I know that this isn't the right place to complain about a MOVIE but hey, when everyone you know is raving about a movie you hate where else can you turn?

Hope nobody's offended by me rambling on. Otherwise sorry, but I had to say it.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:00 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to valypan Send a message via MSN to valypan Send a message via Yahoo to valypan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray pierce View Post
I will definitely NOT play thes games since I hinghly resent the new Sherlock Holmes movie. I think it's the most horrible adaptation ever made. If you can even call it that. And I'm sure Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is turning round in his grave right now. So out of protest I wll stay away from everything that has even the slightest connection to it no matter how good it sounds

I know that this isn't the right place to complain about a MOVIE but hey, when everyone you know is raving about a movie you hate where else can you turn?

Hope nobody's offended by me rambling on. Otherwise sorry, but I had to say it.
I am not offended at all! I know very well where you are coming from. I was incredibly skeptical of this movie as well, being a long time Sherlock Holmes fan, however I have found out that the script is actually quite accurate and reflects the original Conan Doyle writings. For example Sherlock was a boxer, a good athlete and liked a particular kind of martial art. Watson is also definitely not the fool many previous films have portrayed him to be, so the new film does reflect these new aspects of these characters which previous films did not. I will definitely see it as I don´t care whether it deviates from previous SH films , as long as it is true to the books. So let´s give it a chance and if we find it´s not respectful of Conan Doyle, we can complain about it later together
Old 12-05-2009, 01:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by valypan View Post
I am not offended at all! I know very well where you are coming from. I was incredibly skeptical of this movie as well, being a long time Sherlock Holmes fan, however I have found out that the script is actually quite accurate and reflects the original Conan Doyle writings. For example Sherlock was a boxer, a good athlete and liked a particular kind of martial art. Watson is also definitely not the fool many previous films have portrayed him to be, so the new film does reflect these new aspects of these characters which previous films did not. I will definitely see it as I don´t care whether it deviates from previous SH films , as long as it is true to the books. So let´s give it a chance and if we find it´s not respectful of Conan Doyle, we can complain about it later together
Having read all the short stories and the three novels I know that he was a very good fighter (hell, what wasn't he good at?) so I know that in that aspect there's nothing new and as far as movies go I've only seen the Jermey Brett versions, and a Ruppert Everett amd Rochard Roxburgh version of Hound of the Baskervilles (hated the RE version and loved the RR version) But somehow I think there is to much violence in this latest movie for it to be a true Sherlock Holmes movie, there was quite often some violence in the stories, especially towards the end, but never that much. Also I don't think the story is a kind of Sherlock Holmes story sir Arthur Conan Doyle would've written. To many supernaturel aspects, wich was something Conan Doyle often stayed away from (the exception being of course The Adventure of the Sussex Vampire) And above all I highly dislike the portrayal of Irene Adler. Also nudity is somthing that's niceBut not in a Sherlock Holmes film. When he said "madame do not remove this pillow etc..." I actually found myself yelling at the screen that they couldn't do this to Conan Doyle. Finally I think Rober Downey jr is not a very good Sherlock Holmes. It's not because he's not English. Neither is RR and I think he's excellent but he just doesn't look like Sherlock Holmes. I think Guy Ritchie should've played th Frogwares games first before making the movie. I think they are one of the finest adaptations ever even in terms of story. (although it wouldn't hurt to include some fighting in the end.) Anyways I'll go see it anyway so I can complain to you
Old 12-05-2009, 02:12 PM   #5
Quixotic

Send a message via AIM to JoeX111 Send a message via Yahoo to JoeX111

It's kind of funny that you take issue with the supernatural aspects, given that Arthur Conan Doyle was, himself, a pretty hardcore believer in the otherworldly.

Having also read the script, might I suggest: Maybe, just maybe, Holmes will deduce a real world explanation for the goings-on?

Perhaps you should try seeing the movie before you outright dismiss it.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeX111 View Post
It's kind of funny that you take issue with the supernatural aspects, given that Arthur Conan Doyle was, himself, a pretty hardcore believer in the otherworldly.

Having also read the script, might I suggest: Maybe, just maybe, Holmes will deduce a real world explanation for the goings-on?

Perhaps you should try seeing the movie before you outright dismiss it.
Of course he gives a rational explanation! I would've been really outraged if he didn't. I just still think it wouldn't fit well into a Sherlock Holmes story. no matter what Conan Doyle's believes were. And as I mentioned before I'll go see it. I'm just not to sure if it'll change my opinion. Ah, just wait and see I guess

Also where've you read the script? Because, being an amateur screenwriter(hoping to break through professionally one day) I'm always very interested in reading scripts. It's not on IMSDb yet is it ?
Old 12-05-2009, 02:48 PM   #7

It is very true that Conan Doyle liked the supernatural. Sherlock´s most famous story also starts as a supernatural mystery, to which he finds a logical solution to. I agree that the pillow scene in the movie is rather, well..odd when associated with the image we have of Sherlock, but let us not forget that he was also a man and he probably has been stigmatized in previous films to highlight certain aspects of his personality and alienate others. I think this film will show hidden aspects of Holmes and also Watson, so I am definetely excited about seeing it. I also read Ritchie is very fond of SH books, so hopefully he will be very respectful of the canon

Until then, why not try out the online games?
Old 12-05-2009, 03:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by valypan View Post
It is very true that Conan Doyle liked the supernatural. Sherlock´s most famous story also starts as a supernatural mystery, to which he finds a logical solution to. I agree that the pillow scene in the movie is rather, well..odd when associated with the image we have of Sherlock, but let us not forget that he was also a man and he probably has been stigmatized in previous films to highlight certain aspects of his personality and alienate others. I think this film will show hidden aspects of Holmes and also Watson, so I am definetely excited about seeing it. I also read Ritchie is very fond of SH books, so hopefully he will be very respectful of the canon

Until then, why not try out the online games?
Of course ! How could I forget that one ! I mean I've read the novel and seen three adaptations ! In any case you're right. But I don't think I'll go play these games any time soon for the simple fact that between now and the holiday I've only got very limited time to play games and I'm reserving it all for the final ToMI chapter. After that I'm gonna go to London and I'm not gonna bring my laptop along. And I won't be back for Christmas Day wich is when the movie premieres. I'm pretty sore about the date for the holiday anyway cause it means I'm gonna miss AdventureX. (it wasn't my call) On the other hand I could really use a holiday and London is my favorite city so it's not that bad. Anyways TMI, rambling on, sorry
Old 12-05-2009, 03:21 PM   #9
Stalker of Britain

Guys, lets try to keep the topic on the game being discussed here, not the movie. If you want to talk about the new movie, you're more than welcome to start a new thread in "Chit Chat". I'd be more than happy to join in about my own reservations for the new movie. But since this is the "Adventure" forum, let's try and stick to talking about the games.

I've looked at both games, although I'm not too impressed by them. The "Unlock Your Sherlock" one looked good in theory, but I got confused where I was supposed to be looking for clues in the movies, and I hate time limits.

The other one, 221b, had me really intrigued, but I haven't gotten far into it. I chose to play single player, and now I'm wishing I could go back and play with another friend of mine.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes