You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Nice Adventure Game

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2004, 02:02 PM   #1

Default Nice Adventure Game

I really like monkey island 3 curse of monkey island.

Is there any other games with voices and cartoon characters that is really good?
Old 03-22-2004, 02:08 PM   #2
lemonhead11

This is a pretty broad question, but I would probably recommend any other Lucasarts game. You also might like the Broken Sword Series, Tony Tough, Gilbert Goodmate and some Sierra games also have that cartoonish feeling.

Old 03-22-2004, 02:18 PM   #3

Recomendations?

Where can I find a list with all the adventure games that lucas art has made?
Old 03-22-2004, 03:53 PM   #4
guybrush_guy

if you want cartonosh then you got to play toonstruck. that is probibly the cartoniest game you will ever play.

Old 03-22-2004, 04:26 PM   #5
Mad Rabbit

Tony Tough and the Night of Roasted Moths is similar as far as graphics are concerned. It has that same cartoon likeness, although the art isn't quite as detailed as Monkey Island 3.

You'll also find that Tony Tough's interface is very similar. It uses the same click-and-drag method for interacting with characters and objects. In fact, you'll even see references to other Lucas Art's games such, as a purple tentacle in the amusement park, which looks a lot the the park in Sam & Max hit the Road.
Old 03-22-2004, 04:43 PM   #6
guybrush_guy

i thought tony tough was good except for voice acting. it was done well but his vocie jsut anoyed the hell out of me.
if you going for that cartooney feal of a game try stupid incaders. it's not a cartoon but it's based on a cartoon and playes just like one (if thats possilbe)

Old 03-22-2004, 04:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldini
Recomendations?

Trust me, if you like CMI, you'll be spending the next few weeks playing the Broken Sword series (yes all three) without interruption Personally I think they're just as strong as CMI, and even though the artwork and the humor are somewhat more subtle than CMI, I'm sure you'll enjoy the games very much.

If you're looking for games by LucasArts then Grim Fandango is probably also your forté. It's a direct-control (keyboard) avdnture game with VERY nice graphics (pre-rendered backgrounds and funky looking 3D characters), an EXCELLENT story and an overall great game. You might try earlier games by LEC, like the earlier Monkey Island games, except they don't have voices or highly-detailed high res graphics, but the humour and story and puzzles are the best.

Other than that.. well alot, but if you're looking for the better AGs with nice gfx and sound then I reccommend Sam & Max CD Version, The Longest Journey, Runaway: a road adventure and perhaps Syberia (which is completely different from CMI).
Old 03-22-2004, 05:06 PM   #8

If youre looking for a quick fix, you might try a game that Im producing called Nick Bounty: A Case of the Crabs. The game is not offically released yet, its end the end stages of beta testing but I am still looking for people to play it and test it for bugs. You can check out the preview web site for the game here.

http://www.otterarchives.com/bountygame.html

If anyone is interested in beta testing for this game please either respond on this thread or E-mail me at:

[email protected]

I hope you like it!
Old 03-22-2004, 05:15 PM   #9
guybrush_guy

Nick bounty case of the crabs! (sounds kinda funky) this game looks cool, i'll be more then happy to test it for you.

Old 03-22-2004, 05:22 PM   #10

Focusing only on LucasArts, I think you should try:

1)Escape from Monkey Island: probably the least popular Monkey Island game, but personally I can't understand why. Very cartoony and great voice acting, including "Guybrush" from CMI.

2)Day of the Tentacle: a little older, but excellent anyway (Unlike Escape, not many would disagree.)

3)Sam and Max: another great one. See why so many people are upset with the sequel being cancelled.

4)Grim Fandango: different in style, but so good you really can't afford not to try it.
Old 03-22-2004, 06:30 PM   #11
Mad Rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacob
If you're looking for games by LucasArts then Grim Fandango is probably also your forté. It's a direct-control (keyboard) avdnture game...
It's worth noting that both Grim Fandango and Escape from Monkey Island are joystick/gamepad compatible.
Old 03-22-2004, 06:34 PM   #12
Least used avatar ever

Definitely Day of the Tentacle, Sam & Max, and Full Throttle. I would advise you to stay away from Runaway, though, and the third Broken Sword (dunno about the first two).
Old 03-22-2004, 06:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moron Lite
Definitely Day of the Tentacle, Sam & Max, and Full Throttle. I would advise you to stay away from Runaway, though, and the third Broken Sword (dunno about the first two).
It's really too bad that BS3 gave the first two games a nasty reputation as AGs. I reccommend you play them, they are -both- alot better than BS3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey
It's worth noting that both Grim Fandango and Escape from Monkey Island are joystick/gamepad compatible.
LOL, of all the games, I'd never think I'd ever use my gamepad for an adventure game, but I guess you're right.
Old 03-22-2004, 07:25 PM   #14
guybrush_guy

if it's an adventure game and it has lucas arts someware on the box, it's a 100% definate play. every single on of there games is truley great. I dont know why people think of EMI as an outcast. i thought the game was good, it is my least favorite of the four. but still a great game

Old 03-22-2004, 08:03 PM   #15
Mad Rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacob
LOL, of all the games, I'd never think I'd ever use my gamepad for an adventure game, but I guess you're right.
I wouldn't have played Grim Fandango any other way.

For the point and click games, I have a trackball. So either way, I can sit back in the reclining desk chair and play without having to reach for anything. Sure it's lazy, but that's the whole point.
Old 03-22-2004, 08:06 PM   #16
Least used avatar ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey
I wouldn't have played Grim Fandango any other way.
I think you're on to something, there. I'll have to try it when my PS2-to-USB adapter arrives.
Old 03-23-2004, 02:47 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldini
No problem, here's the full list:

- MANIAC MANSION [2 versions]
- MANIAC MANSION 2: DAY OF THE TENTACLE

- THE SECRET OF MONKEY ISLAND
- MONKEY ISLAND 2: LECHUCK'S REVENGE
- THE CURSE OF MONKEY ISLAND
- ESCAPE FROM MONKEY ISLAND

- LOOM

- INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE
- INDIANA JONES AND THE FATE OF ATLANTIS

- SAM & MAX HIT THE ROAD

- FULL THROTTLE

- THE DIG

- ZAK MCKRACKEN AND THE ALIEN MINDBENDERS [2 versions]

- GRIM FANDANGO
Old 03-23-2004, 02:53 AM   #18
Irritant F0rum Beasty

What...so all of a sudden RTX Red Rock isn't an adventure game now?
Old 03-23-2004, 05:24 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Seed
What...so all of a sudden RTX Red Rock isn't an adventure game now?
Lucasarts refer to Action based games with puzzles as "Action Adventure"

http://www.lucasarts.com/about/time...n_timeline.html