You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Runaway: A Twist of Fate Released! (A patch, too!)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2009, 04:21 PM   #1

Default Runaway: A Twist of Fate Released! (A patch, too!)

The English version of the game has been released for download (not the retail version):

http://runaway.gamesplanet.com/runaw...ame-focus.html
Old 11-25-2009, 06:47 PM   #2

Still haven't loaded up Dream of the Turtle (though I've had it since it came out), but this looks so tempting...
Old 11-25-2009, 08:22 PM   #3
Strategy Guide Author

Any details on this? Interest, though for $39.99 I usually like a box. Will this be sold at retail ever?
Old 11-26-2009, 05:49 AM   #4

Do I read this right? 44.99 € for a download????!!
Old 11-26-2009, 08:48 AM   #5

It's $ 39.99.
Old 11-26-2009, 11:08 AM   #6
Adventure Shop

The game is also available from the Adventure Shop which contributes to AG.

http://adventureshop.gamesplanet.com...F&affiliate=AG

Damon
Old 11-27-2009, 11:24 AM   #7
Hopeful skeptic

For those who bought the game, heads up that there's a patch released already.

The 1.05 update fixes sound issues during the cinematics and/or the dialogs. If you're not experiencing any, probably no need to download, but if you are, current saved games are compatible with the patched version, so go ahead and update.

The patch is 12.4 MB and can be downloaded here. Just click the file to run after saving.
Old 11-28-2009, 12:09 AM   #8

Whoa.. To me, this is definetely one of the most anticipated adventure titles this year, but the price for this download is really steep.. It makes me scratch my head a lot weather to buy this right now or to wait a bit more..
Old 11-28-2009, 08:21 AM   #9

Send a message via Yahoo to cristane

50 USD for a downloadable adventure game? Are you kidding me? The newest retail PS3 titles are 60 USD. Will deffo wait until price comes down.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:30 AM   #10
Adventure Game Researcher

Glad to hear it is out, i played, or started to play Runaway I and really enjoyed it, sorry i waited so long... just got 2 and will get 3 as soon as it is out in a box.

thanks for the news about the patch.

Game Research and History
http://3dworldandgamedevelopers.blogspot.com
Game Patches and Aides
http://www.filefront.com/user/CrisGer
Patch and Fix Packs
Old 11-28-2009, 09:08 AM   #11
Pixiehunter

I think I'll wait for both the boxed version and the price to drop. I want to see how the trilogy ends, but the game is not that good that I want to pay 45 dollars, especially not for a download.

I have remember reading somewhere that a retail release was planned anyway, but as the official site currently gives an error, I wonder when that will be...

Ah well, I need to upgrade my pc anyway before I can even run the game, so I don't mind waiting a bit longer.

Edit: okay, site gives no errors anymore, butI think it is a bit odd that they give no info whatsoever on when the retail version will be released. (Not that they mention in the newssection that the downloadable version is released, but ah well...)
Old 11-28-2009, 09:39 AM   #12

€45 (almost $70) for European customers is a joke. And for a downloadable game with DRM protection at that. I can only take that as a sign of that a boxed version will be released in Europe at least and that the steep price for the download has something to do with a deal between the developers and the European publisher of the boxed version. Am I right?

Well, it makes the decision not buy this game, at least not right now, easy. And to be honest I don't really mind waiting that much. The first game was quite good, but I thought the second one was dull. Endless dialouges that led nowhere and attempts at humor that always fell flat. Had a hard time finding the motivation to finish it.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:57 AM   #13
M-E

There's actually a nice boxset coming for people who didn't play the other games. That's what I'm waiting for:

Old 11-29-2009, 03:32 AM   #14
Sik

Just finished the game, and I quite enjoyed it.

Just like the first two games, the visuals are fantastic but poor translation and bad direction for the voice-overs ruins the sense of polish somewhat. The quality of the voice acting, dialogue and humor is about the same as before. Passable, but nothing more in my opinion.

Puzzles are all inventory based, and about as obscure as the ones in the previous games. There's a show-all-hotspots feature now, though, so pixel hunts are gone if you choose to use it. I avoided it to make the game last longer. Using it makes the game a tad too easy for my tastes, but the option is there for those who don't have the special kind of mind it takes to enjoy pixel hunts. Overall I found the puzzles fun, and creative, and a lot of work has gone into giving unique feedback for trying unlikely combinations. There's a lot of trial and error involved in most puzzles, but at least you are rewarded (or punished) with attempts at jokes.

The story is not quite as far-fetched as the one in the second game, and wraps up most of the loose threads. Not much can be said about it without spoilers, though.

Anyway, the game was pretty much exactly what I expected. Those who enjoyed the first two games will enjoy the third. Those who didn't, should probably avoid it. I'd say the third game is the best of the series, but there are too many references to what has happened before to play it as a stand-alone game. Those who didn't play the first two should definitely wait for a box-set with the trilogy.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:46 AM   #15
Pixiehunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-E View Post
There's actually a nice boxset coming for people who didn't play the other games.
I hope that people who already own the first 2 games (me included) can also eventually just buy just the boxed version of Twist of Fate without having to pay for the other 2 again. I'm feeling a bit sceptical now that they apparently announce the 3-box version but not the single game...
Old 11-29-2009, 09:57 AM   #16
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
The quality of the voice acting, dialogue and humor is about the same as before. Passable, but nothing more in my opinion.
I disagree. I was playing Dream of the Turtle the other day and started A Twist of Fate yesterday and I think there's a noticeable improvement in the voice acting. I'm not sure but it seems like both Brian and Gina have been recast? In Dream of the Turtle, the narration was making me want to gouge my eyes out, but in this game I'm finding that I'm not even thinking about it (which is a sign of good voice acting, to me!)

I'll reserve judgment on the rest of the game until I'm done playing it, but so far I'm enjoying it very much.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:56 PM   #17
Sik

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov View Post
I disagree. I was playing Dream of the Turtle the other day and started A Twist of Fate yesterday and I think there's a noticeable improvement in the voice acting. I'm not sure but it seems like both Brian and Gina have been recast?
Yeah, they have definitely been recast. Gina sounds more mature, and Brian isn't quite as dull. I haven't played Dream of the Turtle since it was released, though, so can't do a fair comparison. I just remember cringing at the delivery of lines in Dream of the Turtle quite frequently, and I also did that while playing A Twist of Fate. It just seems the voice actors were given very little direction when it came to context and emotions.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:02 PM   #18

Just beat the game. I did enjoy this last installment quite much. The story was definitely easier to follow than the last one. The second was just too over-the-top that I couldn't keep track of all the details, but this one did a better job of keeping the story more solidified. The puzzles were a reasonable difficulty, but there were some illogical ones, as usual. However, I only needed to use the help system twice.

I was disappointed to see that the main voice actors didn't return to finish off the series, namely, Brian, Gina, and especially Joshua.

Anyway, I have one question, potential spoilers...

Spoiler:
Did anyone find any Easter Egg in Chapter 3? During Chapter 2 and 4, you are able to ask Quickle what he thinks of Runaway: A Twist of Fate up to now. During his tirade, he mentions an Easter Egg in Chapter 3. Anyone know if there is such a feature?
Old 11-29-2009, 10:22 PM   #19
LA-S-LE

Just reached the 6th chapter and still have no serious complaints to make. Designers, artists, animators - all of them have done a fantasic work. So lot of things there just for fun and for the sake of exploration! The idea with not-so-smart cursor is excellent, as well as the help system. And storywise it's still not clear whether 2nd part was for real.
I think the game is worth it's money. Even if they ruined the ending (again), it's still the best animation film of the last several years. Long live classical animation.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:08 PM   #20
Adventure Game Researcher

I must respectfully disagree about comments made criticising the voice acting, and the flavor of the series, I have only so far played about 2/3 of the first title in the series, but i found the voice acting and the overall style of the game wonderful, a 10 out of 10. It is perfect for the characters, Brian is simply perfect for the type and Gina too. I love the feeling of the smooth operation of the game play and the story progression and think this is a classic series of the best kind. I look forward very much to II and III, other duties will prevent me from seeing them for some time, but i surely look forward to it. This is a splendid series.

Game Research and History
http://3dworldandgamedevelopers.blogspot.com
Game Patches and Aides
http://www.filefront.com/user/CrisGer
Patch and Fix Packs