You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Still Life 2 : Worth Playing ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2009, 07:52 AM   #1

Default Still Life 2 : Worth Playing ?

Hi there !

I really love playing thrillergames and Still Life's my all time favorite ! So I was really thrilled when the sequal was released. The fact that it's largely situated in Maine also helped a lot since I have something of an obsession with New England. Plus I really wanna find out who the killer is(My bet's on Richard)

Then suddenly multiple people on the forums pointed out that although the game's registered as a crime thriller it's actually a survival-horror game. I HATE HORROR GAMES AND MOVIES ! Especially the psychopath type (I'm talking "Saw" and the likes) I find the stories always so very thin and unbelievable watching/playing is torture itself.

Is Still Life 2 like this or is it just a decent crime-thriller that can't live up to its predecessor ?

Also if people call it horror because of the blood and gore. I'm not squeemish about that as long as it serves a purpose within the fabric of the story

I'd really like your opinions guys !

As a reference point : I love the Frogwares Sherlock Holmes series and the Art of Murder series. My favorite thrillermovie is "Seven" and my favorite novelist is James Patterson
Old 11-22-2009, 09:46 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray pierce View Post
Hi there !

I really love playing thrillergames and Still Life's my all time favorite ! So I was really thrilled when the sequal was released. The fact that it's largely situated in Maine also helped a lot since I have something of an obsession with New England. Plus I really wanna find out who the killer is(My bet's on Richard)

Then suddenly multiple people on the forums pointed out that although the game's registered as a crime thriller it's actually a survival-horror game. I HATE HORROR GAMES AND MOVIES ! Especially the psychopath type (I'm talking "Saw" and the likes) I find the stories always so very thin and unbelievable watching/playing is torture itself.

Is Still Life 2 like this or is it just a decent crime-thriller that can't live up to its predecessor ?
I’m just in the early stages of the game and there is a little survival horror side to it but also mostly crime solving aspects. So far so good, possibly because my expectations were so low due to what I’ve read about it. Actually, I’m enjoying it so far. Love the big living room in the dilapidated old house where the sun streams onto the carpeting. Hate the morbidly dirty blood stained rooms where the killer did his deeds.

Interestingly, there is one room (where the reporter was kept locked up) that has background music that reminds me of Catherine’s prison in Riven. Adds a nice mysterious touch. If you’re a fan of Still Life 1, IMO you'll probably think the second isn't as good but definitely worth playing.

Favorite Adventure Games:
Riven, The Longest Journey 1, Syberia 1 & 2, Grim Fandango, Still Life 1, Broken Sword Series, Lost Crown

Heavy Rain (Action/Adventure)

Last edited by AprilLives; 11-23-2009 at 12:52 AM.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:08 AM   #3

Thanks !

You gave a back a little bit of hope.

Keep me posted on your experiences

Hope more people will post here.

I haven't got time to play till next weekend anyway so I'll keep checking.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:03 PM   #4

Quote:
I find the stories always so very thin and unbelievable watching/playing is torture itself.
This is a very accurate description of Still Life 2. The plot is absolutely nonsensical yet completely predictable. And the wrapping up of the original mystery is laughably bad.

Edit: On the other hand, it's not all that much worse than the Art of Murder games, so who knows, maybe you'll like it. By the way, I wouldn't go as far as to call Still Life 2 survival horror. It does have sudden deaths and some timed events, but apart from the dodgy inventory system it's a pretty traditional, even uninspired, adventure game.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:09 PM   #5
Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageGothic View Post
This is a very accurate description of Still Life 2. The plot is absolutely nonsensical yet completely predictable. And the wrapping up of the original mystery is laughably bad.

Edit: On the other hand, it's not all that much worse than the Art of Murder games, so who knows, maybe you'll like it. By the way, I wouldn't go as far as to call Still Life 2 survival horror. It does have sudden deaths and some timed events, but apart from the dodgy inventory system it's a pretty traditional, even uninspired, adventure game.
Totally agree.

I have to tell you that the first Still life is WAY better than the second. Still life 2 really disapointed me. At the beggining i was enjoying it but it starts to get boring with unbelievable events, lots of bugs and annoying hidden details, which you have to click on a exact pixel to discover.
The idea of the game is good, the scenes are fine, but I just wish they put more time into making it look more realistic. At the end i was just looking foward to finish it, because i hate to leave games unfinished. Oh, the ending is very frustating, too.

Well it's my opnion, like GG said, maybe you'll like it. I didn't...

Playing: Alan Wake
Last Finished: Black Mirror 2 (4/5)
Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:12 PM   #6
Iconoclast

I thought Still Life 2 was terrible. The first game is SO much better it isn't even funny. Much of the gameplay is a blatant rip-off of the Saw horror films, the story is terrible, and if it wasn't for the title and a couple very brief sections that referenced the first game, you would have no idea it had anything to do with the 1st game whatsoever. The graphics were terrible as well.

This was a money grab to sucker Still Life fans out of their cash. Nothing more.

FTR, I thought Art of Murder 2 was a far better game, and I certainly wouldn't rate that all that highly either.

However, there are plenty of games I like that others despise, so maybe it's just me.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:11 AM   #7

While I admit that the first game is WAY WAY WAY better than this sequell, it was pretty entertaining experience for me, and I'll probably re-play it someday. The game itself has lot of flaws - personally, I was mostly dissapointed with the graphic - but I think it's still worth playing. There are many worse titles than this one, even though some people probably wouldn't agree.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:00 AM   #8

Oh ... and I'm really liking the voice of the investigator, Victoria. I love her tone and the way she makes comments about what she sees.

The inventory gathering, on the other hand, where you have to put some stuff into cupboards, etc. is kind of a waste of time.

Favorite Adventure Games:
Riven, The Longest Journey 1, Syberia 1 & 2, Grim Fandango, Still Life 1, Broken Sword Series, Lost Crown

Heavy Rain (Action/Adventure)

Last edited by AprilLives; 11-23-2009 at 01:06 AM.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:21 AM   #9

I am really courious what will your opinion be on SL2 after you have played, gray pierce.

If there was ever more SAW-like product, apart from SAW I, II, III, IV and V and VI (did not see last two), it is Still Life 2. In fact, it should be renamed SAW, the Video Game, than the title would reflect the true nature of this game
Old 11-23-2009, 04:08 AM   #10

Thank you for all your comments ! Really it helped a lot.

I think I should first right a wrong. When I said I loved the Frogwares Sherlock Holmes series and The Art of Murder Series. I actually meant that I love the Frogwares Sherlock Holmes series and LIKE the Art of Murder series. (actually I thought the first one was pretty good and the second one had a good story but they it took the wrong way, next one looks nice though)

Anyways now that, that's cleared I think it's safe to say I'll probably won't play this game. I thought it'd be like "Kiss the Girls" (both novel as well as movie) not like "Saw" ! I hate the "Saw" movies. Wait, let me rephrase that : I hated the first "Saw" movie and decided I'd stay as far away from any sequals as possible.

Damn I hate to hear all this. Why couldn't thy get the old team back ? I know because they bought them all out. Stupid Microids !

Thanks anyway, I'm gonna root for the final ToMI release this weekend or else I'll just replay GK1
Old 11-23-2009, 08:54 AM   #11

Played it for a bit didnt really like it looks crappy and has annoying bugs not a polished game at all.
Loved the original Still Life though
Old 11-23-2009, 01:41 PM   #12
Fulci lives

I downloaded the demo and really liked it. Helping Palomar escape from the house felt like something out of a trashy slasher film.

Did you notice that Palomar talks just like William Shatner? She keeps making little... pauses... after... every... word.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray pierce View Post
Thanks anyway, I'm gonna root for the final ToMI release this weekend or else I'll just replay GK1
I believe telltale have announced that the release date for the final chapter is December 8th.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keregioz View Post
I believe telltale have announced that the release date for the final chapter is December 8th.
I know now, but I didn't know then. Looks like I'll be raplaying GK1 this weekend. Oh well...
Old 12-15-2009, 04:32 AM   #15
aye, aye!

I played it before ever watching one of the Saw films... And I liked it a loooot. Until I watched Saw 2; it has a lot of similarities to that movie with the whole "locked rooms in a house"...

But the game atleast had a bunch of thrilling moments, kept me on my seat the entire time... I actually kinda loved it, even though it freaked me out a lot.

It's more adrenaline-pumping than cosy like the first game.

But it's worth a shot. (And imo FBI2 was boring and not at all that gorey, while SL2 still has that freaky morbid touch.)
Website with Fansites [thornleaf.se]
Old 12-15-2009, 07:24 AM   #16

From the screenshots I saw, nearly the whole game takes place in grey basements and empty corridors... Is this really all there is?
Old 12-15-2009, 05:30 PM   #17
zak

I must say its probally the worst sequel ive seen for a very long time the years it took them to make it just makes u wonder what went wrong, it could just aswell been another csi find item run it through computer get hint, move on next hint aso. there is almost none of the usual pickup and use of items, and the timed puzzles was just annoying more than fun to figure out, in all it does light some clues to the first game about the killer and such but its not worth the full price get find it cheap somewhere u will get disapointed.