Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Hector: Badge of Carnage for iPhone (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/25854-hector-badge-carnage-iphone.html)

Sughly 11-21-2009 04:08 PM

Hector: Badge of Carnage for iPhone

After a little research on Hector: Badge of Carnage and becoming quite interested in it, I can't help but feel a little gutted that it's iPhone only. I mean, isn't the supposed target market for adventure games limited enough as it is? I for one, as an avid adventure game fan, do not have the obviously amazing piece of technology that is the iPhone but still like to use other common platforms such as PC and, well, any console that exists.

But seriously, iPhone only...? Am I alone here in not wanting to replace my perfectly working phone for an overpriced touchy feely phone for a game?

nonax 11-22-2009 01:18 AM

I agree. I guess the iPhone is a hype and it is easier to get a budget for developing for this plarform then for any other. Reminds a little on the internet-hype at the turn of the millenium. It is not logical because if you look at the penetration of the iPhone then you might reach more potential buyers on platforms like Symbian, Android, Windows Mobile, Nintendo DS, etc.

straandlooper 11-22-2009 03:48 AM

Thanks for the feedback on the game guys. I work for Straandlooper, the company currently producing the Badge of Carnage games. Our decision to create a game for the iPhone was dictated by a number of factors, not least of all budget. We do have plans to create different versions of the Hector game for other platforms, but the iPhone and iPod Touch provide us with a great way to create a proof of concept that will allow us raise the finance to create these versions for the myriad of different mobile platforms.

If you want to find out more about the game you can visit our blog at www.thehectorfiles.tv/blog and if you have any other questions, comments or suggestions about the game don't hesitate to get in touch.

If your suggestions are good enough you never know they might even end up in one of the games.

Sughly 11-22-2009 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by straandlooper (Post 530028)
We do have plans to create different versions of the Hector game for other platforms, but the iPhone and iPod Touch provide us with a great way to create a proof of concept that will allow us raise the finance to create these versions for the myriad of different mobile platforms.

I see, I see. Well hopefully in that case the world of yuppies supports the game enough to let it see a port on, well, anything else and I'll be sure to pick it up. I've been a little worked up over lack of good quality all 2D adventures and this was certainly one to catch my eye. If the two video segments in the blog represent the game at all, then great work and keep it up :)

Marduk 11-23-2009 01:58 PM

There aren't any other phones that are as good for gaming as the iPhone, considering its touch screen interface and motion sensitivity. The only handheld consol, to my knowledge, that allows digital distribution is the PSP GO, however this has the traditional analogue stick/push button interface only.

To me it stands to reason that this would be the most attractive option for an AG developer to go for and I can't help but imagine that many gamers would find it attractive as well.

But in all fairness the question you asked was "Am I alone here in not wanting to replace my perfectly working phone for an overpriced touchy feely phone for a game?" And, being honest, I don't feel compared to find that out for you. But I shall be optimistic, for you, and say "no, probably not".

kadji-kun 11-23-2009 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marduk (Post 530167)
But in all fairness the question you asked was "Am I alone here in not wanting to replace my perfectly working phone for an overpriced touchy feely phone for a game?" And, being honest, I don't feel compared to find that out for you. But I shall be optimistic, for you, and say "no, probably not".

And here I thought you were going to provide the correct answer. What you should of said "You don't have to replace your phone. Just get an ipod Touch which does everything the iphone does, without the phone oriented features".

Last time I said that on another forum, someone said "What is the point of getting it when you don't get those missing features?".

Erwin_Br 11-23-2009 04:51 PM

This game is on my radar for sure! I hope they also make a version that runs on Mac OS X. Shouldn't be too difficult as they're developing it for the iPhone.

Sughly 11-23-2009 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kadji-kun (Post 530169)
And here I thought you were going to provide the correct answer. What you should of said "You don't have to replace your phone. Just get an ipod Touch which does everything the iphone does, without the phone oriented features".

Last time I said that on another forum, someone said "What is the point of getting it when you don't get those missing features?".

Haha, well, I can then respond to that myself by saying do I need to replace my perfectly working iPod for an iPod touch just because it has a game on it? Same deal really.

My point isn't to try and find an answer - since when did ranting and raving seek answers :) And I understand it's been developed for portable and yes in that instance iPod phones/touchies are a good medium, but my reason for being upset is that it looks like a great game that in my opinion looks more exciting than a lot of PC adventures being made. For that reason I'm just disapointed that because I'm not at the top of the consumerism food chain I won't be able to play it. No answers to that really except enough sales that can bring about ports to others platforms hopefully...

Agustin 11-25-2009 04:06 AM

The fanboy in me has to come out and say that you can't possibly dismiss the iPhone as merely an "overpriced cellphone". That darned device can seriously change your lifestyle, and not because of games but some very useful apps and features. Currently, I don't myself using any other cellphone but an iPhone.

In any case, you can always have the iPod Touch which is a very accessible gaming device and then some.

Marduk 11-27-2009 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kadji-kun (Post 530169)

You are right, ofc, I hadn't even considered getting an iPhone touch previously because the iPhone does it all and you don't need both. I don't have a mobile, yet, but you've made me realise that I need to look at a broader field than simply the iPhone if I can just get TOUCH because there's some great 2G phones available at reasonable prices where you can get PSPs or Wiis for free.

Thanks for that :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sughly (Post 530181)
Haha, well, I can then respond to that myself by saying do I need to replace my perfectly working iPod for an iPod touch just because it has a game on it? Same deal really.

Have you never upgraded, or even completely replaced, your PC because it was too outdated for new games and other software? Ever owned a console? Are you still on your SNES or Mega Drive? I know a lot of hardcore Adventure Gamers frown on the need to upgrade to play but nobody is expecting you to rush out to buy the latest gadgets just to play the latest games.
Quote:

My point isn't to try and find an answer - since when did ranting and raving seek answers :)
Would you prefer it if the only people to reply were people who agree with you?
Quote:

And I understand it's been developed for portable and yes in that instance iPod phones/touchies are a good medium, but my reason for being upset is that it looks like a great game that in my opinion looks more exciting than a lot of PC adventures being made.
But it's difficult to market games for the PC these days. Only a small percentage of computer games sold are for the PC and the vast majority of those are World of Warcraft. And consoles, for the TV or handheld have never exactly been friendly towards AGs so imagine how valuable an opportunity touch screen systems like the iPod/Phone and N: DS must be for developers; systems with sound and video quality that is similar to larger consoles and desktops with a method of interface that is uniquely suitable for this genre.

NO AG developers had a meeting to decide how to screw us over best; they just saw these new platforms come out and immediately saw how it could benefit their games and, more importantly, the survival of their companies.

Quote:

For that reason I'm just disapointed that because I'm not at the top of the consumerism food chain I won't be able to play it. No answers to that really except enough sales that can bring about ports to others platforms hopefully...
You can do what I'm doing and save up for it. In your place I'd probably sell your old iPod to help with that (though, if I had an older model, I'd probably just give it to a friend or relative). Fortunately I didn't go out and buy a previous model that I'd be forced to replace but I am residing to the fact that, eventually, a newer model will come out or even a completely superior alternative from another company that games will be designed for, and eventually I'll need to upgrade if I want to play them. Wanting to play them doesn’t make it obligatory that I should, though.

I suggest you don't look at it like upgrading your old MP3 player but like you’re getting a new handheld system that also plays games with hundreds, possibly thousands, or other apps you can download and can be quite useful.

Sughly 11-27-2009 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marduk (Post 530481)
Have you never upgraded, or even completely replaced, your PC because it was too outdated for new games and other software? Ever owned a console? Are you still on your SNES or Mega Drive?

I upgrade my PC and consoles plenty actually, but that's because they have an amount of games that are worthy of that upgrade. I'm saying that I don't justify ONE game I'm interested in as reason to pay for this particular upgrade. I wouldn't buy a PS3, for example, if there was only one game I wanted on it. I'm aware there's all these apps, my friends have iPhones and show me all the time, and are on the most part gimmicks that they're bored of in a day or two. But this game I am interested in and am merely wishing it had a release on other platforms.

Quote:

But it's difficult to market games for the PC these days. Only a small percentage of computer games sold are for the PC and the vast majority of those are World of Warcraft. And consoles, for the TV or handheld have never exactly been friendly towards AGs so imagine how valuable an opportunity touch screen systems like the iPod/Phone and N: DS must be for developers

And marketing an adventure game for a medium that I'm guessing only a small perecentage of avid adventure gamers have is apparently easier to market for? When people in other gaming forums continually reply to any mention of an adventure game as 'lol, that genre is dead'? I believe the cost savings is in development, according to straandlooper's response, who is one of the game's developers.

And well, yeah, release it on NDS and I'll be more than happy. See, I bought that console because it had numerous titles that I wanted to play, and had numerous on the way. If this game leads to a sudden overhaul of great titles on the iPhone/iPod touch then maybe I'll consider it, but not now when only one game interests me. Most games that are on it have better counterparts on DS anyway. So no, I'm not about to go out and hock off my full 80Gb iPod for something a fraction of it's size with features I don't have use for.

Quote:

I suggest you don't look at it like upgrading your old MP3 player but like you’re getting a new handheld system that also plays games with hundreds, possibly thousands, or other apps you can download and can be quite useful.

As I said, apps I'm not that much of a fan of myself, and as for games - if it seriously considers itself a medium for games and you're using this as a selling point for the iPhone or iPod touch, then it better start taking it's game lineup a lot more seriously if it wants to better NDS or PSP, of which are in my opinion offering much more.

Quote:

Would you prefer it if the only people to reply were people who agree with you?

No, kadji-kun commented that he thought I was providing an answer. I don't have an ego so big I think I have THE answer. I'm simply providing subject of debate and retort. Read the posts properly before you have a go at me.

Lucien21 06-05-2010 02:39 AM

Bump

Out now for Ipod Touch/Iphone/Ipad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j1Y2tg8lw0

It runs fine at x2 on my iPad and it's a lot of fun.

J.H 06-06-2010 07:35 AM

The trailer looks hilarious lol, very British.

Agustin 06-10-2010 05:16 PM

Anybody playing this? It's amazing! I can't believe there's a game like this on the iPhone: pissing, condoms, prostitutes, bloody headshots... it's friggin' INSANE and endlessly quotable.

Very, very funny too. Please, do yourself a favor and get Hector NOW.

fov 06-10-2010 09:41 PM

I just got an iPod touch and I'm interested in this game... waiting for the AG review before I buy though.

Sughly 06-10-2010 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agustin (Post 551575)
Anybody playing this? It's amazing! I can't believe there's a game like this on the iPhone: pissing, condoms, prostitutes, bloody headshots... it's friggin' INSANE and endlessly quotable.

Very, very funny too. Please, do yourself a favor and get Hector NOW.

I would if I had an iPhone/iPad. But that's not gonna happen, so no Hector for me :frown:

J.H 06-11-2010 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sughly (Post 551590)
I would if I had an iPhone/iPad. But that's not gonna happen, so no Hector for me :frown:

Exactly this, I hope it's not too long before it comes out on the PC.

Igor 06-12-2010 10:57 PM

I'm not far in the game, but it's much fun! Kind of reminds me of original SamnMax Freelance Police game, except a bit less random and with raunchier British humour.

The only thing I'm missing is some option to zoom in screen (something similar to 1112 game). It would be a bit easier to point&click that way.