You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Sanitarium now on GOG for $9.99

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2009, 05:31 AM   #1

Send a message via ICQ to Jadefalcon Send a message via MSN to Jadefalcon
Default Sanitarium now on GOG for $9.99

This is one I'll definitely be getting. GOG seems to be good for old adventures and this is one welcome candidate.

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/sanitarium
Old 11-10-2009, 05:36 AM   #2

my heart jumped up when i read "santiarium now on gog" and it went back down when i read "9.99". i preferred them with their 5.99 policy. but i just might get that based on what i've heard over the years about this game.

Edit: when i saw the logo for it on gog i bought it immediately. im looking forward to trying it out. thx for the info.

Last edited by tastebud; 11-10-2009 at 05:43 AM.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:48 AM   #3
Senior *female* member

Hey, that's great news! Especially after I read the stories about the original Sanitarium CDs (not the rerelease) exploding in the disk drive.

Downloading as I write this.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:59 AM   #4
The Quiet One

I was about to create this thread, but Jade's beaten me to it. However, nobody's mentioned that Psychonauts is also available on GOG. For anyone who's interested of course...
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 11-11-2009, 02:12 AM   #5

Oh man! I've wanted to play that game ever since I tried the demo and never found a retail copy...

Digital distribution, I love you.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:33 PM   #6
the midnight rambler

Woooo! What a surprise!!

I've been wanting this for sometime, woo again!
Old 11-11-2009, 03:47 PM   #7
Strategy Guide Author

Wait, discs exploding in disk drive, what?

Anyhow I have Sanitarium on CD, just curious if there's any compatability benefit to just getting it off of GOG as well. I want the most painless experience possible. I am running Vista.

Lemme know, thanks!
Old 11-11-2009, 10:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phod View Post
Wait, discs exploding in disk drive, what?

Anyhow I have Sanitarium on CD, just curious if there's any compatability benefit to just getting it off of GOG as well. I want the most painless experience possible. I am running Vista.

Lemme know, thanks!
the most painless is obviously by getting it from gog. even if we assume that there are no compatibility issues with your old cd (even though there probably are issues) with gog u dont even have to use cds so no disc jockeying.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:27 AM   #9
the midnight rambler

As far as I know GOG is the best place to get games that just work without having to mess around. See here!
Old 11-13-2009, 08:51 AM   #10

This would probably be my top recommendation for anybody asking for an adventure game that you can buy now that works on modern machines.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:49 AM   #11

Another thing if you use GOG is this

http://www.gog.com/en/wanted/

It's all well and good to see Sanitarium come up, but I'm sure there's always other games we'd like to see. That's what the vote is for. I've put in votes for a pile of adventure games, even ones I already have on disc and don't particularly need, knowing there are some that others would want.

The Lucasarts ones are top of the list, but seeing that Lucasarts are doing their own distribution, I can't see it happening. However the old Sierra titles might appear, (Ground Control, a tactical game for instance has appeared on GOG and it was distributed by Sierra). I've even tried for the EA Sherlock Holmes games, though the chance of prying those from EA are marginal.
Old 11-14-2009, 02:15 AM   #12

It is categrorized as adventure/action/horror. What is the action part? Shooting? I don't want that.
Old 11-14-2009, 02:47 AM   #13
Stalker of Britain

No, it's not really shooting. There are a few bits, if I remember correctly, where you can die, but it takes you back right before the action bit started, and you can have as many tries as you like. The action part wasn't hard, and it didn't stop me, someone who usually hates action in my adventure. It's not game-stopping, like in Dreamfall action or anything. Please, don't let it deter you.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 11-14-2009, 07:45 AM   #14

Ok, I can live with that. I actually died a couple of times in eh ... Black Mirror (?)
Spoiler:
the cave with the wolves and the gun

And Barrow Hill. Stupid me.

Last edited by Mohlin; 11-14-2009 at 07:58 AM.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:46 AM   #15
Stalker of Britain

lolz Don't worry, I did too. In "Black Mirror" with the stupid
Spoiler:
wire in the mines
but never in "Barrow Hill". I believe you would only meet the stone if you try to go into an area you're not ready for. I never met it.

Yes, the action sequences in Sanitarium only really consist of
Spoiler:
killing crows who are trying to attack you with a scyth, and trying to kill a gigantic underwater thing.
And like I said, it gives you as many tries as you need.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 11-14-2009, 02:39 PM   #16

I already own the original release of the german version, but I may have to buy it again over GOG. It has a bug that makes character sprites disappear, vanish. Which especially sucks in the already mentioned action sequence when you can neither see yourself nor the enemies. Made me stop playing the game.

Otherwise, it seems to be a great title.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:05 PM   #17

Okay, a note on this game. The initial download was a bit bugged.

This meant that there was a game affecting bug where text and speech didn't show. This I encountered in the circus. Also, on some people's playthrough, speech didn't happen in the dialogue sections where you cuold pick topics to discuss.

Since then, GOG has put up a new file to download. This sorts the problem.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:07 PM   #18

I just started playing this last night [recent GOG purchase]. I'm at the start of chapter 3. Very nice so far, creepy and funny at the same time. The puzzles are pretty logical so far, though on two occasions I had to hunt for quite a while to find the objects I needed. I guess that's the nature of the beast when playing an adventure game.

My only gripe, and it's a minor one, is that the game seems more obtuse than most when it comes to moving the character where you want him to go. I can't count how many times I have had to try 3-4 times to get him to walk through a door or across a bridge that the directional arrow was sitting right on top of, only to watch him miss and walk into a wall instead.

I don't want to give anything away, but if you're on the fence about this game then this phrase might sway you one way or the other, depending on your preferences: "creepy deformed children of the corn" [actually pumpkin in this case]. Definitely no elves or fairies in this game!
Old 11-24-2009, 04:16 AM   #19

Ah good memories playing this game, recommended!
Old 11-25-2009, 01:14 AM   #20

i finished the game yesterday for the first time. never played it before. and wow, im definately happy with this purchase. i cant believe i missed this game back in the day. this is definately one of the most memorable adventures i've played. the only complaint for me would be the "hold right mouse button" to walk scheme which i also dont like in tales of monkey island. other than that, top notch