You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2009, 10:27 AM   #1

Default Is Guybrush hot?

Hello fellow female gamers - and all others :-)
On a scale from 1 to 10 (higher=better), how much points would you give the TMI-Guybrush?
I happen to find the new version of him rather sexy - there's a very charming aspect to him that was never there in the previous games. Maybe it's just Telltale's engine - I liked the cartoon-style of CMI very much, but in TMI, Guybrush is more lifelike.
So, who else feels attracted* to Telltale's rendering of Guybrush?
(*as far as attraction for binary data goes, of course )

Last edited by Blackcat; 10-28-2009 at 10:32 AM.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:38 AM   #2
fov
Rattenmonster

Umm... hot, no. But I think he's endearing.

I'd give him a 4 on the hotness scale. But an 8 on the "you poor thing, I just want to take care of you" scale.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:38 AM   #3
EDI

I prefer the CMI Guybrush look the best.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:45 AM   #4

is there something you want to tell us blackcat?
Old 10-28-2009, 10:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastebud View Post
is there something you want to tell us blackcat?
I must admit: I think of him all the time... that is, all the time it takes to play an episode
And no, I do not 'act upon my thoughts'
Nor am I longing for an x-rated Monkey Island game ;-)
Old 10-28-2009, 10:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov View Post

I'd give him a 4 on the hotness scale. But an 8 on the "you poor thing, I just want to take care of you" scale.
True, what with these two strong women in his life.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:08 AM   #7

BTW, I suppose this is a must-have-item for any Guybrush-fan:
http://shop.starwars.com/catalog/pro...gory_id=100667
I really like that t-shirt - but not because of Guybrush (this topic is just for laughs, and a bit of curiosity ) - but because of the fact that it is 'a Monkey Island t-shirt!' and a funny variation of the 'evolution of man thing'.
Too bad I live in Europe and it's so insanely expensive to have it shipped here.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:16 AM   #8

And in this button set, Guybrush is looking like a guy who would tune his car, err, boat up to the last bolt:
http://shop.starwars.com/catalog/det...2774&type=img1
Definitely not hot. And poor Elaine looks very squinty. And I'd rather have a button that says 'Ask me about Grim Fandango'.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:32 AM   #9
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

I've found Guybrush attractive for ages. Those pixellated closeups in SMI were just rawr. Of course, he looks even cuter with a goatee.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:40 AM   #10

I have to say, I have found Guybrush proper badass in TOMI! Although hot may be pushing it

On the other hand, when I asked Dom about manatees being sexy when I interviewed him for AltMagOnline recently, he was very enthusiastic!

I do think the new model is giving him some great new personal traits from a male perspective, and I am glad the ladies are finding it so hawt
Old 10-28-2009, 12:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyMcFly View Post
I have to say, I have found Guybrush proper badass in TOMI! [...]
I do think the new model is giving him some great new personal traits from a male perspective, and I am glad the ladies are finding it so hawt
He does look more 'masculine' to me, and his face shows a cynicism that I did not see in the other games - before TMI, he was a bit clumsy, in an endearing way (cf. fov's reaction), and there was a lot of 'making fun of people/things' in his conversations, but never (?) with visible sarcasm or cynicism.
Also, this 'sexier' side to him is certainly not just a product of my imagination - just look at his interactions with Morgan...
Hope the writers won't overdo that (don't think so) - e.g. a little bit of innocuous flirting from
Spoiler:
Elaine with 'good LeChuck'
is OK, but I do not want it to be more than that. Not sure why - I'm no prude - perhaps it's because I like the Monkey Island series so much that I want to be able to play this with my (and my family's) children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyMcFly View Post
Although hot may be pushing it
Maybe 'hot' has some connotations that I'm not aware of, not being a native speaker. But I was stretching things a bit, of course, for the sake of the argument
Old 10-28-2009, 02:06 PM   #12

Haha. I admit I've had a crush on him since I was a kid. Well, him and George Stobbart.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:23 PM   #13
fov
Rattenmonster

I have a thing for Gabriel Knight, myself.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:55 PM   #14
MI Expert

Send a message via AIM to guybrushgurl Send a message via MSN to guybrushgurl Send a message via Yahoo to guybrushgurl

I've ALWAYS loved Guybrush!!! (Hence my screen name) My friend and I would always joke about how 'obsessed' I was with him! I would always say I had married him rather than Elaine... lol I'm such a loser!
Old 10-28-2009, 06:32 PM   #15

If there ever was a Monkey Island movie I imagine Guybrush would be played faithfully by a blonde Jason Scwartzman. Picture that and come to your own conclusions ladies and gentlemen. lol
Old 10-28-2009, 09:24 PM   #16
Junior Mint

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov View Post

Doh! He's doomed to the "Friend Zone". LOL
Old 10-28-2009, 09:51 PM   #17
Banned User

I'd have to say the Guybrush from TOMI is quite cute. Actually really cute in a handsome yet stupid kind of way.

Still, I prefer Gabriel.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:28 AM   #18
Stalker of Britain

I've always had a thing for Sirrus from "Myst". Yet I've had 'crushes' on cartoon characters before, so it's not weird for me. From the pictures, Guybrush looks cute, a 4 maybe?
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 10-29-2009, 02:03 AM   #19

MI1 Guybrush always looked a bit nerdy to me, except in close-ups, then he looks like you're regular Jim Hawkins. Of course not any more with the remake.

MI2 Guybrush has this irritating vibe about him, this "I'm the man and nothing can go wrong!" trait which of course makes it twice as funny when things do go wrong, but it has always made him the least sympathetic Guybrush of them all.

CMI Guybrush brings back the nerdy a bit, and kind of exaggerates on the MI2 clumsiness while losing the haughty air. A great Guybrush IMO.

EMI Guybrush is ... well ... he's a fish-eyed zombie! This kind of 3D design just doesn't do it. It's basically the CMI Guybrush character-wise but his appearance is so much altered, for the worse, I just can't connect with it.

TMI Guybrush is like a total reboot. Daniel Craig instead of Pierce Brosnan, Christian Bale instead of any other Batman. It kind of combines CMI Guybrush, bringing back the arrogance of MI2 Guybrush, in a much improved EMI style. They did a great job.

But I'll leave it in the middle whether he's hot or not. Would I have a drink with him? Probably not. Would I want him as a neighbor? Sure. Would I loan him my hedge trimmers? Not with his record. But I would help him if he said pretty pretty please with a cherry on top.

Just finished:Jurassic Park, Mata Hari
Playing now:Assassin's Creed 2, So Blonde
To be continued:Final Fantasy 13
Old 10-29-2009, 02:34 AM   #20

@Little Writer: I totally agree - wish I could have formulated it like you did - then again, I'm not a 'little writer'