You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Any news of Bracken Tor?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2011, 04:25 PM   #81
Myst-loving person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
Well the press release says the developer is adding content to the game and fine-tuning it. If it is released without being fine-tuned, you will almost certainly be disappointed in it.
But the thing is...

Quote:
Developer Matt Clark of Shadow Tor Studios said: “It is disappointing that Bracken Tor’s release has had to be put back to Q1 next year, but we felt that the extra polish and additional features that we will be able to add to the title will ensure that those people who are eagerly anticipating the release will not be disappointed."
Very similar words. From November 2010.

http://www.pcgamersworld.com/2010/11...ed-to-q1-2011/

This recently announced delay was not the first time this has happened. Nor was November 2010 the first time, either.

According to the start of the thread, Bracken Tor was first available for pre-order in 2009. And again in 2010.

Now it's 2011... is it really that shocking that people are starting to doubt their pre-orders, or whether the release date means anything?

The developer has been fine-tuning this game for two years. You can't tinker forever refining a game and expect your audience will still be waiting.At some point, a game has to be finished. Even if it's not perfect. No game is perfect.

That's why people are so concerned!
Old 04-22-2011, 04:41 PM   #82
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annacat View Post
The developer has been fine-tuning this game for two years. You can't tinker forever refining a game and expect your audience will still be waiting.At some point, a game has to be finished. Even if it's not perfect. No game is perfect.
The same thing happened with two of Jonathan Boakes' games, and I won't be surprised if The Last Crown makes its appearance somewhere in 2012 or even 2013. But let's not forget he and Matt Clark are indie developers. I was much more skeptical when Gray Matter was postponed again and again and we got no news whatsoever. And Matt Clark promptly replied to my email.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:11 AM   #83
Senior Automaton

So. 2 weeks to go, is everyone excited?
Old 05-26-2011, 02:18 AM   #84

Quote:
I know I am
Just keeping my fingers crossed, I don't want it to be delayed yet again...
I'm already slightly miffed that it's coming out in the summer. As I mentioned earlier in this thread (I think), this would be a perfect game to play in the winter.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:17 AM   #85

Hopefully, the developer of this game, who also made Barrow Hill, will see to it that subtitles are made available, so that hearing impaired gamers can enjoy it.

I was really frustrated when I installed Barrow Hill and found out that there was no option for subtitles, and I had to uninstall the game.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:32 AM   #86
Senior Automaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeframCochrane View Post
I know I am
I'm already slightly miffed that it's coming out in the summer. As I mentioned earlier in this thread (I think), this would be a perfect game to play in the winter.
You'll have to set the air conditioning to freezing Those of us in the southern hemisphere will be snugly wrapped up in our woolies exploring the Tor. That is, unless it's delayed again. You might just get your wish!
Old 05-26-2011, 05:02 AM   #87

Quote:
That is, unless it's delayed again. You might just get your wish!

Haha no, no! I wouldn't be so selfish as to wish for a delay just to play in the right season!
Besides, I always have the option to wait for the autumn to play, but I don't think I'll resist.

Btw, I hope for subtitles too. I always enable subtitles in videogames. But for some reason I don't remember the lack of subtitles bothering me in Barrow Hill. Maybe it was because Barrow Hill didn't feature too many dialogues? Anyway yeah, a general piece of advice for game developers out there: always include subitles!
Old 05-26-2011, 05:57 AM   #88
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
for some reason I don't remember the lack of subtitles bothering me in Barrow Hill. Maybe it was because Barrow Hill didn't feature too many dialogues?
Yes, but it featured (quite a lot of) monologues, spoken in (pretty) distorted (due to fright) way and in some British slang. The guy from the bakery spoke like Goofy on top of everything.
Thank God that girl from the radio station (and the service station manager bloke ) spoke clearly.

The lack of subtitles is Barrow Hill's only (mayor) flaw.
In my (non-native-English-speaking/hearing-impaired) opinion.

Quote:
a general piece of advice for game developers out there: always include subitles!
Amen!

BTW, what's all this fuss about Bracken Tor (or any other adventure game) being late? Don't you guys have other adventures ( tons of them) to play?

Last edited by zobraks; 05-26-2011 at 06:05 AM.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:23 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by zobraks View Post
BTW, what's all this fuss about Bracken Tor (or any other adventure game) being late? Don't you guys have other adventures ( tons of them) to play?
In my case, more than the absolute delay, I'm sad about the relative delay, ie. the fact that it's not going to be winter when it comes out. But it's not that big of a deal anyway.

Side note: how typical. I try to make an important point, and I misspell the keyword! for me.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:42 AM   #90

Send a message via MSN to Sandman

Quote:
I know I am
Tag me in. Horror games are great for winters. All curled up in a blanket on your bed at night. But I don't want the game to be delayed. I'll just put my AC on 17 degrees as an alternative ... but come on, bring it out already.

I'll play silent hill downpour in winters.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:15 AM   #91

Quote:
Are you kidding? I check the dang Iceberg site every day hoping it just MIGHT come a day sooner. heh

This is a day 1 must buy for me.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:05 PM   #92
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zobraks View Post
BTW, what's all this fuss about Bracken Tor (or any other adventure game) being late? Don't you guys have other adventures to play?
You're telling me there are a couple of leftover hamburgers in the fridge and some lettuce, tomatoes and cucumber, when I'd really like a nice grilled salmon with baby carrots and sugarsnaps.

I'm dying for a good, creepy (horror is something else entirely) 1st person adventure by a developer I trust to deliver the goods I want.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:09 PM   #93
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
You're telling me there are a couple of leftover hamburgers in the fridge and some lettuce, tomatoes and cucumber, when I'd really like a nice grilled salmon with baby carrots and sugarsnaps.
Hey, there's more salmon (nice adventures) in the sea!
If there's no salmon - a (leftover) hamburger will do (when you starve) .
Old 05-27-2011, 01:23 AM   #94
Senior *female* member

I'm not starving, I'm surrounded by greasy hamburgers. That's exactly the reason I'm craving the nourishment, the specific vitamins and minerals that only a good creepy 1st-person adventure can provide.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:14 AM   #95
Senior Passer-by

Be careful when eating that salmon (with baby carrots & sugar snaps) - you just might choke on it .

Now, seriously: I wish Bracken Tor would be as good as Barrow Hill.
What a great game it was.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:37 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
I'm dying for a good, creepy (horror is something else entirely) 1st person adventure by a developer I trust to deliver the goods I want.
I'm right there with you.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:50 AM   #97
Senior Automaton

I hope Wincey makes another appearance in this game. Yes, I realize he's been turned to a pile of ashes, but I don't care how they do it, I just want them to bring him back somehow! Ghost dogs exist, don't they?
Old 06-02-2011, 03:10 AM   #98
Senior Passer-by

I miss Slinky, the right wheel of that trailer. I still carry his picture in my wallet:

Name:  opanachke.gif
Views: 283
Size:  959 Bytes
Old 06-02-2011, 02:37 PM   #99

There's one thing that bothers me still. If Bracken Tor is coming out next week, why does the official site stubbornly declare "Bracken Tor is due for release in mid 2011"? I mean, technically June 10 does indeed qualify as "mid 2011", but aren't we a bit close to the release date for it to be so vague? Wouldn't this be the right time to change the release date details on the official site to a more precise date?
Old 06-03-2011, 12:29 PM   #100
Myst-loving person

I sent an e-mail to Shadow Tor and Iceberg Interactive that said the following:

Quote:
Hi,

I read the press release that stated that Bracken Tor would be released on June 10th, but the official game site still lists no release date that I could find, even with that date only a week away. Should the June 10th date still be considered accurate?

Thanks!

-[name redacted]
We'll see if I get anything back. Last time I inquired about something Matt Clark responded personally and I never got even an automated reply from Iceberg, so we'll see.

They'd probably gone home for the evening when I sent it, so it may be Monday at the earliest before I get a reply.