You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Any news of Bracken Tor?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2011, 02:58 PM   #61
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaesun View Post
It clearly states April 22nd on the Iceberg website: http://www.iceberg-shop.com/bracken-tor.html

This product will be available on 22 Apr 2011
Yes, but elsewhere on the site the release date is TBA. And both statements are old. What really worries me is that the developer's site now says: Bracken Tor is due for release in mid 2011.

I have no idea what's going on but it's more than just a little frustrating. Maybe someone (Fantasy or Amunptah perhaps, if they are willing) could contact Shadow Tor/Matt Clark or even Jonathan Boakes?
Old 04-10-2011, 06:04 PM   #62
Stalker of Britain

Erm, I'm not really supposed to contact developers anymore, since I work for this site. ...

The page with our release dates still says April 22nd from Iceburg, so I think that's what we're going for.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 04-10-2011, 11:30 PM   #63
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
Erm, I'm not really supposed to contact developers anymore, since I work for this site. ...
Well, you working for this site is exactly the reason why I thought you would be the one to ask. I don't get it. It's not like I'm suggesting you should engage in illegal activities.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:46 AM   #64
Schattenjäger

Just for your information:
I was wondering about the release date of Bracken Tor as well and wanted to inform our readers (Adventure-Treff) about the current status. I sent an e mail to Iceberg and they told me that there is no firm release date for Bracken Tor at the moment. At the same time I was told that there would be a press relase concerning Bracken Tor soon. It seems like we'll have to wait for that press release until we know about a new release date. But in any case it is certain the game won't be released in April as planned.
Favorite games: Gabriel Knight series, Heavy Rain, Tex Murphy series, The Last Express, King's Quest 6 Phantasmagoria 1 and 2, The Lost Crown, Tender Loving Care, Blade Runner, Quest for Glory 4, Overclocked, The Dig, Dreamfall...
Old 04-13-2011, 08:37 PM   #65
Myst-loving person

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackVanian View Post
Just for your information:
I was wondering about the release date of Bracken Tor as well and wanted to inform our readers (Adventure-Treff) about the current status. I sent an e mail to Iceberg and they told me that there is no firm release date for Bracken Tor at the moment. At the same time I was told that there would be a press relase concerning Bracken Tor soon. It seems like we'll have to wait for that press release until we know about a new release date. But in any case it is certain the game won't be released in April as planned.
OK, what is going on with this game?

I'm so disappointed. I'm honestly starting to wonder if it's even going to happen. I get that a lot can push back a release, but this is starting to worry me.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:59 AM   #66
Senior *female* member

Well, I sent a couple of emails and got confirmation that Bracken Tor is due for release midyear. The good news for us fans is that Bracken Tor is packed full of puzzles and details, including return visits to Barrow Hill amongst the many new areas to explore, and includes sneak peeks at locations appearing in a 3rd game in the Barrow Hill series, whose title yet to be announced.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:01 AM   #67
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
The good news for us fans is that Bracken Tor is packed full of puzzles and details, including return visits to Barrow Hill amongst the many new areas to explore, and includes sneak peeks at locations appearing in a 3rd game in the Barrow Hill series, whose title yet to be announced.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:59 AM   #68

Thanks for the update Fien. Guess I'll just continue to twiddle my thumbs until midyear. Also the news of a Barrow Hill 3 Is pure awesome!
Old 04-15-2011, 11:00 AM   #69

Seen the update and would've loved to have been wrong in previous post.
I feel like he...they...them (can't even locate a culprit for my invective) are really taking the proverbial with this latest news. I am afraid the pill isn't sweetened any by a trailer for the next game after Bracken Tor. One can only guess when the hell that will be released - 2030!

I have taken the approach in the past of, well <insert platitude about extra time equates to better game> so I am happy to wait until <insert four-figure date, just ensure it starts with a 2). But it just doesn't wash this time.
What the hell are Iceberg, Shadow Tor, et al., playing at?! If they just gave us a date in the future that they stuck to, there wouldn't be a problem. And yet, we have this ludicrous, and frankly, highly amateurish, approach whereby dates are arbitrarily announced and then ignored. All this does is p*** the people off who have shown the most interest in the game - a group I previously fell into and am now considering disassociating myself from...PERMANENTLY!
Old 04-15-2011, 12:52 PM   #70
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

It's disappointing that it keeps getting pushed but I think a game like this - where it's pretty much being developed solely by one guy in his house - deserves a little leniency.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 04-15-2011, 01:44 PM   #71
Myst-loving person

Hmm... I have mixed feelings about this.

On one hand, what's being described here sounds really cool!

On the other hand, though, this game has been delayed to add more neat things more than once, over an extended period of time. It makes the development cycle seem a little... direction-less... which is worrisome. At some point, all this needs to be backed up with an actual release. I'm becoming less and less confident that will ever happen.

It's hard to feel much (or any) excitement about a third game in the series when actually getting the second one in my hands to play is seeming borderline impossible. I'd rather the developer focus on getting the upcoming game playable before putting significant effort into the following chapter.

Sorry to be negative. I hope the game proves me wrong. I have to admit, though, that my first reaction was, "Yeah, I've heard that before!" and excitement about the possibilities came very much second.

Last edited by Annacat; 04-15-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:36 PM   #72
Senior Automaton

I'm not worried. I would rather this game be released in a state of perfection than too early with lots of holes. I'm in no rush to play a game that a developer feels he hasn't finished yet.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:37 PM   #73
Lazy Bee

^Agrees.
Old 04-17-2011, 02:29 AM   #74

The problem is that it will be huge expectations to this game no (at least from me) and if it doesn't live up to that, the reviews/sale/next came could be a disaster.
I will wait for a review, so I'm not sure if I will buy it. Six months ago I would have bought it whatever.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:04 AM   #75

I've had this on preorder from Amazon for quite some time now..Just got another email from them saying the release date is now June 10th..
Old 04-22-2011, 08:17 AM   #76
Schattenjäger

June 10th: This date fits to the most recent press release from Iceberg that was published last week. http://www.iceberg-interactive.com/news-mainmenu-33/1-latest/409--additional-development-time-used-for-perfecting-horror-adventure.html

Well, I guess this is the final date then. I can understand that some people are disappointed, but it's less than two months until the release, so Bracken Tor isn't really thaaat far away. Now that we have a new date we should rather look forward.
Favorite games: Gabriel Knight series, Heavy Rain, Tex Murphy series, The Last Express, King's Quest 6 Phantasmagoria 1 and 2, The Lost Crown, Tender Loving Care, Blade Runner, Quest for Glory 4, Overclocked, The Dig, Dreamfall...
Old 04-22-2011, 09:22 AM   #77

Thanks for the update JackVanian! June 10th is now marked on my calendar. And I'll have to get "sick" that week from work. *cough*
Old 04-22-2011, 09:48 AM   #78

Quote:
June 10th: This date fits to the most recent press release from Iceberg that was published last week. http://www.iceberg-interactive.com/news-mainmenu-33/1-latest/409--additional-development-time-used-for-perfecting-horror-adventure.html

Well, I guess this is the final date then. I can understand that some people are disappointed, but it's less than two months until the release, so Bracken Tor isn't really thaaat far away. Now that we have a new date we should rather look forward.

What? Haven't you understood anything people have said? No, you can't assume 'this is the final date then' because so many previous arbitrary dates have been and gone.

And some people have ceased 'looking forward' to the dates because the game has consistently failed to make them.

Personally I have cancelled my pre-order for this game, as I don't want the money to suddenly be taken from my account on the random day this game comes out. I'll wait a few months and buy it cheap. My anticipation for the title has pashed the threshold i'm afraid. You can't maintain enthusiasm for something indefinately and i'm afraid the game is almost certain to disappoint now.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:26 AM   #79
Myst-loving person

Quote:
What leads you to believe this is the final date? We've had "final" dates announced at least three times prior to this one. What makes this different, exactly?

I mean Bracken Tor might be released on that date... or on that date we might just get silence from Iceberg, then we pester them until they tell us that the real final date is actually a few months from now because they still need to [whatever.] It could go either way, but they say the best predictor of future events is past behaviour... which doesn't make me as optimistic as you seem to be.

I'm not disappointed about having to wait till June. That would be fine.

I am disappointed that release dates keep slipping by and the development seems from to have very little direction or long-term planning. I am not confident, at this point, that these release dates serve any purpose except to shut us up in between. I hope June will prove me wrong, but I'm not counting on it.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:07 PM   #80
Senior Automaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbman View Post
You can't maintain enthusiasm for something indefinately and i'm afraid the game is almost certain to disappoint now.
Well the press release says the developer is adding content to the game and fine-tuning it. If it is released without being fine-tuned, you will almost certainly be disappointed in it.