You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Adventure game for the winter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2009, 12:19 PM   #1
Eskimo adventure lover

Send a message via MSN to jeppson
Default Adventure game for the winter

Its almost the time to heat the hot chocolate and put some wood in the fireplace and start the adventure game.

The wind is blowing outside and a snowstorm is on its way. Darkness is coming and.. almost a story

Anyway I have just installed Secret Files: Tunguska and playing it right now.
To my question, does anybody know a good christmas game adventure or similar or something with a winter theme ?

I cant find any good ones. And does anybody have a good sugg. on a adventure game to play this winter? What are you guys playing now or waiting for?

Thanks!
Old 10-19-2009, 12:43 PM   #2
fov
Rattenmonster

Still Life takes place over Christmas. Also both Syberia games are good winter games. (I'm not a huge Syberia fan but I do like the wintery atmosphere.) Murder on the Orient Express also has some snowy settings.

And don't forget Christmas Quest. (And its two sequels.)
Old 10-19-2009, 12:50 PM   #3

Ooh I envy you. Tunguska plus the cosy setting you have described would feel very nice.

Just off the top of my head, I would suggest Barrow Hill. Dunno why, but it seems to go nicely with the hot-chocolate-and-fireplace setting. If you haven't played it already, I'm quite sure you'll enjoy it. I know I did, and I'm usually not very into 1st person AGs. And don't forget Tunguska has a sequel: Secret Files 2: Puritas Cordis! If you like Tunguska, I would also suggest the City Interactive games (the two Art of Murder, and the Chronicles of Mystery one). They don't seem to be very popular around here, but I enjoyed them thoroughly. With your description, you make me wish I had waited for the winter to play them!
You may want to try The Lost Crown, it's set in a seaside town, during what seems to be the cold season (maybe autumn), which could be interesting to play while it snows outside.
If you want the chill down your spine to be caused not just by the cold, I can also suggest Scratches. Which is another exception for me, since it's another 1st person game.
Also, if you haven't played them already, winter is obviously the season for Syberia 1 & 2.

Personally, I'm waiting for Black Mirror 2 (have you played the first? Another good winter game, I think). I'm also interested to see what "Adam Syndrome" will look like. I'm cautiously optimistic. Right know I'm playing the first of the Blackwell series: a very nice game, in any period of the year.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:58 PM   #4
Red Bicycle Brake Unit

As a Telltale fan I have to suggest Sam & Max ep 201: Ice Station Santa. One of the better Sam & Max episodes.
Syberia and its sequel might also fit the bill.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:14 PM   #5
Eskimo adventure lover

Default Well thanks!

I guess I won´t be bored once I am done with Tunguska

I will look into some of your suggestions and thanks again!

Let the adventure begin!
Old 10-19-2009, 04:44 PM   #6
Eskimo adventure lover

Default Adam Syndrome

Adam Syndrome looks very interesting, but no updates in 2009 I hope it will be released someday.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:21 PM   #7

There's a lot of snow in "Fahrenheit" (or "Indigo Prophecy", depending where you are - man, I hope I'm not the only one getting bored with this "two titles" business ...)

Just finished:Jurassic Park, Mata Hari
Playing now:Assassin's Creed 2, So Blonde
To be continued:Final Fantasy 13
Old 10-20-2009, 08:30 AM   #8
J.H
Frak.

Machinarium's my AG for the winter
Old 10-20-2009, 10:23 AM   #9
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

The perfect choice for a winter themed adventure game would be The Winter Rose.

Also, to some degree A Vampyre Story. Especially the snow-covered town in the second half.

EDIT: Oh, and here I did a whole mini-article about Christmas adventure games.

Last edited by Ascovel; 10-20-2009 at 01:37 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:58 AM   #10

Maybe Agon - The Mysterious Codex. The second part plays in Lapland.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:00 PM   #11

I remember one year I played Syberia just for the winter time. Also Agatha Christie's Murder on the Orient Express might be a good choice as well. Getting stranded in the middle of a winter wonderland.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:19 PM   #12
Stalker of Britain

I agree on the "Barrow Hill" suggestion. Those 1st-person scary games are meant to be played in either the crisp fall, or wrapped up warmly in the snowy winter.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 10-21-2009, 02:54 AM   #13
Pixiehunter

If you have played The Longest Journey, winter is a good time to continue with Dreamfall, which is partly set in wintery landscapes.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:38 PM   #14

I've lived in Los Angeles my entire life, except for like two and a half years I spent in Michigan, so my winter this year will be very similar to my Fall and my Spring. I hated the snow when I lived in Michigan, but lately I've started to romanticize it and daydream about living in Vermont or some place like that. Anyway, I don't have an answer to your question, but I'm just thinking about winter and fireplaces and blankets and stuff since you mentioned it.

I guess if I were looking for an adventure game to re-play and I lived in some kind of an idyllic winter setting, I would probably play Gabriel Knight 2. I haven't played it in over 10 years so my memory of it is fuzzy, except that I loved it, so I'm not sure if it took place during winter or not. But it was in Germany, which is sort of winter-y country. It's a good game!

Anyway. My post is incredibly unhelpful. Sorry about that. I swear I haven't been drinking.