Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Blackwell Bundle released (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/25655-blackwell-bundle-released.html)

nonax 10-16-2009 10:38 AM

Blackwell Bundle released

Our good friend Dave from Wadget Eye Games has made a bargain bundle from the three Blackwell games. A nice offer for anyone who wants to get to know the Blackwell series and hasn't done yet.

Jelena 10-17-2009 02:54 AM

Ever since I played ECC I have meant to get the Blackwell games and today I bought them. I can't wait to start playing. :)

ZeframCochrane 10-17-2009 11:05 AM

I bought them too! Just now.

I feel very proud of myself for supporting Wadjet Eye. :P

Jelena 10-18-2009 08:48 AM

I got the bundle and have just started playing The Blackwell Legacy and loving every minute of it. I started playing with the commentary mode on but had to turn it off since it interrupted the gameplay. But I really like the idea of getting to know behind the scene-stuff. I guess I've come that far as an adventure gamer, not only the game is interesting, but also the writer and the idea he/she had. I think I'll replay it later and click my way through the game and listen to the comments.

BerserkerTails 10-18-2009 08:54 AM

Great games, and I highly recommend picking up this bundle. I think the second is the best in the series (it has the best puzzles, methinks), but all three are great story wise.

Fantasysci5 10-18-2009 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jelena (Post 526580)
I think I'll replay it later and click my way through the game and listen to the comments.

That's what I did. I still need to do that for the 3rd game.

And the 2nd game was also my favorite.

ZeframCochrane 10-18-2009 12:56 PM

Well, I started playing today, and I must say it was money well spent. I realize I'm a bit late, but better late than never!

The story seems gripping. It reminds me of Quantum Leap for some reason...
Spoiler:
especially when Rosa had to use the phone to talk to Joey and not look as if she was talking to herself. Fans will know what I mean ;)
And, although not the same thing, Rosa's job is close enough to putting "right what once went wrong". Long story short: I like it.

Plus... Rosa's cute! :P

DaveGilbert 10-19-2009 05:38 AM

I bloody loved Quantum Leap. :)

(so yes, Zephram, you are quite right!)

Happy you all are enjoying the bundle.

ZeframCochrane 10-19-2009 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveGilbert (Post 526641)
I bloody loved Quantum Leap. :)

(so yes, Zephram, you are quite right!)

Happy you all are enjoying the bundle.

Oh, yay! I was sure I felt something, QL vibes are unmistakable ^^

Thanks for the Blackwell series, Dave. :)

C_Knight 10-21-2009 08:44 AM

Awesome! I enjoyed all 3 games, but thought they were too short :/

rottford 10-21-2009 02:53 PM

Quote:

Fantasysci5: And the 2nd game was also my favorite.
The second also is my favorite. I absolutely adore the jazz-tinged, nighttime atmosphere, not to mention the greater abundance of no-nonsense, hardboiled dialogue from various characters (which only Joey seemed to deliver in the other two games). I stayed up late playing this one, glass of bourbon in hand:devil:

Quote:

ZeframCochrane: Plus... Rosa's cute!
I used to love the idea of knowing someone like Rosangela (or Lauren), until I had to work with a woman in my newsroom that looked/acted almost exactly like her (who was a reporter, nonetheless). Sure, Rosangela's quirky, maybe even a little cute in the game, especially for a smart, shy writer.

But Dave, she's not someone you want to know in REAL LIFE.:frusty:

ZeframCochrane 10-22-2009 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rottford (Post 526826)
But Dave, she's not someone you want to know in REAL LIFE.:frusty:

No, huh? Hehe.. dunno about Dave, but I still think she's kinda cute. :crazy:

rottford 10-22-2009 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeframCochrane (Post 526844)
No, huh? Hehe.. dunno about Dave, but I still think she's kinda cute. :crazy:

Cute, yes. But in real life, cuteness only gets a cynical pessimist so far;)

Luna Sevithiainen 10-22-2009 07:01 AM

Hmm interesting offer :)
How long does it stand? (I was planning to not spent any more money this month because I'm kinda broke-ish :P)
And I guess there exists only a downloadable version? (I am a sucker for boxes, but when they don't exist I guess download will do as well ;) )

DaveGilbert 10-22-2009 09:41 AM

@rottford Hah! You should tell her to play the game.

@Luna Sevithiainen: The offer lasts forever, so you can nab it whenever you want! You can get all the games on one CD if you wish, but it costs $10 extra and there is no box. Just a CD.

Glad you all are liking the bundle. Be sure and tell everyone you know how much you like it, too. :-D

SharonB 10-23-2009 06:26 AM

Dave, I'm thinking about getting the bundle, but I would want it on disk. I did not see that option in the ordering process. How is that handled?

DaveGilbert 10-23-2009 09:37 AM

Hi Sharon! I was just about to make a blog post about this but since you asked first, I'll write it here!

A lot of customers have been reporting corrupt CDs for certain games (most notably Convergence), and the problem lies with the Plimus store's shipping facility The downloads, though, work totally fine. I have disabled CDs for the time being. So if you want a backup CD for the games, you might want to wait.

BerserkerTails 10-23-2009 09:54 AM

Anyone who is hesitant about the download versions, I would say just grab them. The Blackwell games, once downloaded are DRM free. I've burned myself a disc with all three of the games (plus the Shivah), and it does the trick perfectly.

Plus, downloading the games means instant gratification, no waiting for shipping. And for these games, you'll definitely want to play them right away ;)

Jelena 10-24-2009 03:19 AM

I just finished Blackwell Unbound and I loved it! :kiss:
I really enjoyed the story and how it came together in the end. And the laid back, sort of depressing atmosphere accompanied by wonderful music was perfect on a gloomy autumn day like today over here in Sweden. That last song: ...that's when solitude begins... is so beautiful.

Next up, I'll go through the game and listen to the comments.

EDIT: Yep, now it's just Dave and me and a glass of wine. ;)

ThomasR 10-25-2009 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jelena
ccompanied by wonderful music was perfect on a gloomy autumn day like today over here in Sweden. That last song: ...that's when solitude begins... is so beautiful.

Hej Jelena!

Tack så mycket! :-)

Glad you like the music in Unbound!

Thomas Regin

Jelena 10-25-2009 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomasR (Post 527085)
Hej Jelena!

Tack så mycket! :-)

Glad you like the music in Unbound!

Thomas Regin

Hej Thomas!
Vad roligt att du tittar in och svarar. :)

Is the music available somewhere? I'd love to be able to listen to it, especially that last song, while relaxing at home after a busy day at work.

EDIT: OK, I found it available at Wadjet Eye Games. :)

SharonB 10-25-2009 06:22 AM

Thanks Dave, I'll just download them then.

ThomasR 10-25-2009 10:43 AM

Quote:

Vad roligt att du tittar in och svarar.

Jeg er dansk, så du må undskylde mit dårlige svenska!

Dave sagde, at jeg skulle gå in hit og titta! :D

Quote:

I'd love to be able to listen to it, especially that last song, while relaxing at home after a busy day at work.
EDIT: OK, I found it available at Wadjet Eye Games.

Glad you found it!

I hope you'll like the music in Convergence too!

Thomas.

Jelena 10-25-2009 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomasR (Post 527116)
Jeg er dansk, så du må undskylde mit dårlige svenska!

Din svenska är förmodligen mycket bättre än min danska. :D

Quote:

Dave sagde, at jeg skulle gå in hit og titta! :D
I figured as much. ;)

Quote:

Glad you found it!

I hope you'll like the music in Convergence too!

Thomas.
Now I've got the music from both Unbound and Convergence on my computer and I've been listening to the Unbound music all evening. Solitude begins makes me want to dance with my hubby.

DaveGilbert 10-29-2009 04:05 AM

They're talking in code! (or maybe swedish)

Happy you like the music, Jelena. I'm a bit biased but I love Thomas's work too.

ozzie 10-29-2009 09:09 PM

Bent off to the wrong topic, eh? ;)

I'm already a happy owner of all three games. I also loved the second one the most. The ending was very touching, and Lauren is a great character, believable, full of strength, yet, without hope, doomed to free ghosts for the rest of her life. Tragic, yet not overly dramatic in a forced way.
I like the retro style of the graphics. Most of them were adequate, but some backgrounds looked sparse, unfinished or just not well done. The game felt also a bit constricted, like when the Countess chases you back to the apartment, again and...again. And a bar keeper in the piano bar wouldn't have hurt. ;)
Blackwell Convergence was much more pleasant to look at, and it's cool that the story of the previous games came to a conclusion. While Unbound also grabbed me emotionally, Convergence just entertained me really well and didn't leave as much of a lasting impression.
And, like was mentioned in the review here on AdventureGamers, Rosa just came across as a bit shy, but her awkardness was pretty much gone. Okay, she still cracked some corny jokes, though. ;) Maybe it made it more easy to relate to her, but I didn't remember her like this from Legacy. Maybe I should play the first part again...

Anyway, great games! :)

Jelena 11-01-2009 11:11 AM

I've now finished the Blackwell Convergence and I love how the three games come together in the end. Great story! Will there be more games with Rosa and Joey?
One thing though, I missed not being able to get clues from combining Rosa's notes. That was a neat way of progressing in the game.

When checking out the extra material I was thrilled to learn I can actually visit the Minetta Tavern for real. I both love it and hate it when that happens. I yet have to visit Saxton/Polperro in Cornwall after having played The Lost Crown and now I've got New York on my list of places to go. This will eventually ruin me. Dave, when I do visit N.Y you'll have to buy me a drink for doing this to me. ;)

ZeframCochrane 11-01-2009 01:10 PM

I just finished Convergence and I'll be sinking my teeth in Unbound shortly. Thoroughly enjoyed every bit of it. I should say I preferred the design and voice of Rosa in Legacy.

The only thing that upset me a bit is that Joey only cares about Rosa's fate because he's afraid he'll have to spend time hanging around in the hospital. That was OK when they had just met, but later... dunno, I guess I expected them to bond. It's a bit weird if Al doesn't care for Sam ;)

Jelena 11-01-2009 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZeframCochrane (Post 527824)
The only thing that upset me a bit is that Joey only cares about Rosa's fate because he's afraid he'll have to spend time hanging around in the hospital.

Hey, you have to remember he had already hung over a hospital bed for 25 years. It's totally understandable he doesn't want to do that again. ;)

ZeframCochrane 11-02-2009 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jelena (Post 527862)
Hey, you have to remember he had already hung over a hospital bed for 25 years. It's totally understandable he doesn't want to do that again. ;)

Indeed, indeed. Don't get me wrong, I find Joey's personality very likeable, for a ghost. I must admit I actually chuckled when, in Legacy, he said he had no intention of spending more time trapped in a hospital, 'cos it made perfect sense to me that he wouldn't want that to happen.
I was just hoping he and Rosa might have bonded a bit more by the time Convergence came along! :P

Fantasysci5 11-02-2009 07:36 PM

I agree, Zefram. I had wanted them to bond a bit more, but it's quite understandable he didn't want to hang in a hospital again, like he said in the 1st game when she was going to tell the doctor about Joey.

Jelena 11-03-2009 09:58 AM

I like the way they're bickering. If they'd get along perfectly their interaction would be a lot less entertaining to watch.

ZeframCochrane 11-03-2009 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jelena (Post 527991)
I like the way they're bickering. If they'd get along perfectly their interaction would be a lot less entertaining to watch.

Agreed, the bickering is a great plot device, I cannot but appreciate it myself. Besides, the part that bothered me wasn't the bickering itself, but that one occasion when Joey saw Rosa in danger and was concerned to get trapped in the hospital again (I think it was at the end of Convergence).

Jelena 11-03-2009 10:05 AM

I actually removed the part where I wrote I didn't see how they'd bond anyway. I realized that might very well happen. :)

ZeframCochrane 11-03-2009 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jelena (Post 527993)
I actually removed the part where I wrote I didn't see how they'd bond anyway. I realized that might very well happen. :)

Indeed! Allow me to edit my own post accordingly. :)

Fantasysci5 11-03-2009 10:24 AM

I love the bickering, too. Since they are from different times, it's obvious they would disagree on things, and since poor Joey can't touch anything and has to follow Rosa wherever she wants to go, the bickering is understandable. :P

DaveGilbert 11-12-2009 10:15 AM

In case anyone is interested in behind the scenes stuff, I wrote a post-mortem article about Blackwell Convergence for Gamasutra. It just went up!

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/featur..._eyes_the_.php

Jelena 11-12-2009 10:50 AM

Interesting read! Thanks for posting the link.

For the fourth Blackwell game I'm pro-notebook!

:D

smulan 11-12-2009 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jelena (Post 528890)
For the fourth Blackwell game I'm pro-notebook!

:D

Me too!

Toops144 11-12-2009 02:12 PM

Wow downloaded them from Wadjet Eye's website as a gift to my gf. She's a keen adventure gamer and said that the series was brilliant, and went on the purchase the Emerald City game saying it was one of her fave games of all time - a huge compliment. I've some catching up to do because she can complete point n clicks in a few hours whereas it takes me weeks lol.