You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Great Graphics, Great Storylines & Great Game Play

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2009, 10:53 AM   #1

Default Great Graphics, Great Storylines & Great Game Play

Hey Guys,

I just started the new Telltale Tales of Monkey Island, and I am enjoying them a lot. I can't wait for part 4 to come out... But I am interested in your opinions on some adventure games that have great graphics, basically within todays industry standards, and great storylines.. the kind that keep you interested. Also, great game play - easy to use Graphic User Interface and lots of exciting puzzles.

Any opinions?
Old 10-12-2009, 12:52 PM   #2
Stalker of Britain

Well, I would say "The Longest Journey", but some people don't think the graphics held up with today's standards (me not amongst them). I loved the graphics, story especially, and puzzles from "The Lost Crown".
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 10-12-2009, 12:58 PM   #3

Hello! About a gazillion games come to mind!

The recent ones from City Interactive (Art of Murder 1 & 2, Chronicles of Mystery) have great graphics, decent plots, and fun puzzles too. They are clearly not favorites around these parts though. But regardless, I had a good time exploring and finding my way through them. Any adventure from Kheops also feature immersive qualities with their first-person presentation and high level of polish, not to mention well-researched stories (those definitely kept me interested until the last minute).

Aside from those, and since you're asking about recent titles, my remaining suggestion would be to check out Telltale's other series. Also, a visit to AG's reviews section might offer many more fun games, depending on your personal tastes.

Have fun!
Old 10-12-2009, 01:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
Well, I would say "The Longest Journey", but some people don't think the graphics held up with today's standards (me not amongst them). I loved the graphics, story especially, and puzzles from "The Lost Crown".

I beat it, but the graphics are far out of date for my likings these days - but that was an excellent game.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:37 PM   #5

Still Life has some of the nicest graphics for an adventure (pre-rendered backdrops), even though it's a few years old. It also has a great storyline and overall, the gameplay is great, save for one or two tough puzzles. I highly recommend it if you're into dark and gritty murder mysteries. Of course there's Syberia I & II...I don't know if these are the types of games you're after because the graphics are slightly dated.

Apparently Perry Rhodan has real up-to-date visuals but I haven't played it myself.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:03 PM   #6

I would say Dreamfall fits the bill for me. I'll always love that game.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamegirl View Post
I would say Dreamfall fits the bill for me. I'll always love that game.
Beat that one too. I'm looking for newer (but purchasable) adventure games w/ great industry leading graphics, good game play, long game play, fun and hard puzzles with great story - sure that does sound like a lot.. hehe.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by orient View Post
Still Life has some of the nicest graphics for an adventure (pre-rendered backdrops), even though it's a few years old. It also has a great storyline and overall, the gameplay is great, save for one or two tough puzzles. I highly recommend it if you're into dark and gritty murder mysteries. Of course there's Syberia I & II...I don't know if these are the types of games you're after because the graphics are slightly dated.

Apparently Perry Rhodan has real up-to-date visuals but I haven't played it myself.
I beat Siberia II, wasn't for me. Too fantasy like.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:19 PM   #9
merely human

Waiting for the release of Heavy Rain before I make any judgments.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 10-12-2009, 04:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post

Waiting for the release of Heavy Rain before I make any judgments.
Aye, I got a PS3 just for this game (that never released).

There have got to be some good (even PC only) titles that have great graphics, and are a lot fun, etc?
Old 10-12-2009, 06:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjustinj View Post
I beat Siberia II, wasn't for me. Too fantasy like.
Still Life? It's not fantasy.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:35 PM   #12
Stalker of Britain

Quote:
I beat it, but the graphics are far out of date for my likings these days - but that was an excellent game.
We you talking about "The Longest Journey", or "The Lost Crown"? I thought "The Lost Crown" graphics, although the character animations are poor, that the backgrounds are so detailed and presented in such a unique way, that it was a really moving experience for me, and why it's my 2nd favorite game, after "The Longest Journey. The stories of both were just bind blowing.

Quote:
Beat that one too. I'm looking for newer (but purchasable) adventure games w/ great industry leading graphics, good game play, long game play, fun and hard puzzles with great story - sure that does sound like a lot.. hehe.
I would have said "Dreamfall", but people say the puzzles weren't that good...
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 10-12-2009, 08:05 PM   #13
Junior Mint

For its time, The Longest Journey wins this category, hands down, but by today's standards, of course, the graphics are extremely outdated. Dreamfall loses, on account of the gameplay. There wasn't enough gameplay IN Dreamfall to make it "great".

I'm sort of surprised no one has mentioned Culpa Innata yet. I haven't played it yet, but I've heard only good things.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:17 PM   #14
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post

I would have said "Dreamfall", but people say the puzzles weren't that good...
I can vouch for that. Ragnar Tornquist and his team did try to make it more accessible to mainstreamers who aren't that familiar with cerebral challenges, but it seems they went overboard. I wish they had been more creative with the challenges. The combat and stealth were pathetic, not well researched at all and ended up being superficial. The graphics were serviceable - if you had been playing nothing but games from 1999. But compared to many other 3D games at the time it came out it's poor.

But Tornquist is an exceptional storyteller and that is the absolute saving strength of Dreamfall.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 10-12-2009, 09:42 PM   #15

It's funny how many threads always end up at the same discussions

What you're asking for here is the perfect game, something which incorporates all three major gaming demands. People will always have their favorites, sure, but I don't think such a game truly exists.

Just finished:Jurassic Park, Mata Hari
Playing now:Assassin's Creed 2, So Blonde
To be continued:Final Fantasy 13
Old 10-13-2009, 02:18 AM   #16
Game Designer

Runaway 1 and 2? Ceville, Blackwell?

Cheers,
Myles Blasonato.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:27 AM   #17

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
But Tornquist is an exceptional storyteller and that is the absolute saving strength of Dreamfall.
Agree.

As for the main question, let me see: you're searching for an adventure with top-notch graphics (as in mainstream top-notch); long, creative gameplay and great story...

... Unfortunately the last game that fits this bill was released in 1999
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 10-13-2009, 02:41 AM   #18
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
let me see: you're searching for an adventure with top-notch graphics (as in mainstream top-notch); long, creative gameplay and great story...

... Unfortunately the last game that fits this bill was released in 1999
LMAO! Too funny.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:05 AM   #19

If you like the MI episodes you might also consider Sam & Max and Wallace & Gromit from TellTale. Same kind of humor and storytelling.
For more serious adventures I would recommend the Sherlock Holmes series, especially Nemesis (also called vs Arsene Lupin).
Further not mentioned yet but worth a try imho: Secret Files 2, Nostradamus, Dracula 3: Path of the Dragon.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:19 AM   #20

Well,

I really am enjoying Tales of Monkey Island, and Sam & Maxx is okay, but not as good. Tales of Monkey Island has great game play, puzzles, graphics, and story - this is what I'm looking for. Any games have all of this?

BTW, I'm a huge fan of stylized art (like Tales of Monkey Island)