You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Funcom (makers of Dreamfall) is struggling and laying off employees

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2009, 09:43 PM   #21
Adventure Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascovel View Post
But there are many stories and (TV series) that just never end properly. They are already created with the intention to be kept alive as long as it is possible. I may be mistaken by the TLJ games seem to be this way a bit.
Right, Dreamfall wasn't supposed to be resolved like the original was. I'm simply saying I prefer games that actually conclude rather than forcing us to wait for a sequel. I especially don't like TLJ's "new" direction because, not only is Dreamfall only "half" of a story arc, now even the other "half" is going to be split into parts. For someone like me, that's just a huge slap in the face, and considering these new developments, I might as well just forget about April and Zoe altogether, as much as it pains me.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:21 AM   #22

I'm glad Ragnar is still behind this. I've been patient and will continue to be.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:15 PM   #23
It's Hard To Be Humble

Mi want moar April NAO!!!

Just kidding. Actually, I'm quite content to wait. But then, I'm actually looking forward to TSW, so I'm not losing patience with Ragnar. Personally, I think giving him time to really think about what he's doing with the story can only be a good thing, especially since the ending is going to be episodic.

And I don't think Conan was a complete failure. They knew goign in that it wasn't going to achieve World of Warcraft numbers. They simply had to go big to make it work at all, and now we're seeing that it's time for them to scale back. I actually played AoC for a little while. It wasn't a bad game. A little grim, but there were some interesting elements to it. I particularly liked how they worked so much narrative depth into the starting chapters. If I weren't already stretched a little thin, I wouldn't mind going back and having another try. It certainly was an impressive looking game, even if the starter gear was pretty lackluster. But then, I also liked Lord of the Rings Online. I thought that game was gorgeous.

I'm really looking forward to The Secret World, though. A persistent virtual world that has certain adventure gaming conventions (though it's still technically a combat RPG) sounds like a lot of fun. And finally getting to play an RPG set in the modern world... that's worth it just to see what they've done.

And finally, I still trust Ragnar implicitly. He promised he'd finish the story, and I believe he aims to keep that promise, whatever the circumstances. I don't need it to be an adventure game to enjoy it. I'm in it for the characters and the story. He could print it out on cereal boxes and I'd buy it. Heck, I bought Dreamfall twice, so my mother could play it too.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:23 PM   #24
Junior Mint

The Dreamfall saga is to adventure games as the A Song of Ice and Fire series is to fantasy books.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:04 PM   #25
Adventure Newbie

That's a tad premature, no?
Old 10-22-2009, 05:13 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in Limbo View Post
I don't need it to be an adventure game to enjoy it. I'm in it for the characters and the story. He could print it out on cereal boxes and I'd buy it. Heck, I bought Dreamfall twice, so my mother could play it too.
Exactly, we said something about a graphic novel, and that would be just fine by me. In fact, my degree of satisfaction with comics is much higher that with games.

I also bought another copy of Dreamfall for a friend. But, she just had had a baby and I suggested the plot could be sad for her at that moment. She still hasn't played it! (And she loved TLJ.)
Old 10-22-2009, 10:47 AM   #27

While we're talking about Funcom, Ragnar and stuff like a possible sequel for Dreamfall, Ragnar has done a very nice interview at

http://ugdb.com/article/view/intervi...-world-the-pc/
(spotted at: http://www.bluesnews.com ) Note that you can see images (screenshots) from the game as well.

Ragnar talks about the plot, the three playable factions in the game, the combat being similar to rpg rules, as well as the inspiration for The Secret World. Briefly mentioning a sequel to Dreamfall, too.

edit:

I would like to see a conclusion to Dremfall, too. Even if it were on serial boxes or as graphic novel.

Last edited by aries323; 10-22-2009 at 10:48 AM. Reason: content added
Old 10-22-2009, 05:24 PM   #28
Codger

Does this not sound like the Telltale should to LSL thread? And I say again, If you don't have the rights to the franchise, where are you going with this.