You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Monkey Island 2 in real time 3D

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2009, 03:10 PM   #1
merely human

Default Monkey Island 2 in real time 3D

Monkey Island 2 CryEngine remake defies expectations | Joystiq

Quote:
We were all set to write a dismissive post about the video (after the break) of fanmade Monkey Island 2 environments in CryEngine -- "Hey, wonder what Monkey Island 2 would look like if it had all the life sucked out of it?" We don't have anything against loneclone, the modder who created the project -- we just assumed that the remake would take all the personality and quirk out, and replace it with hyperrealistic lighting effects.

But we can't snark about it, because loneclone completely nailed it. It looks pretty much exactly like the original, but in 3D. You can see art comparisons at the modder's site.
An embedded video (just over 5 minutes) of the 3D version features a camera "fly-through" of a few scenes from the original game, then a first person and third person view running through the beach (I don't think that "critter from the black lagoon" character was the part of the game, was it?). Or you may watch it directly on YouTube in HD (click the HD icon on the bottom right of the viewing screen).

The mod was created by a Monkey Island fan who was just curious to see how it would look in 3D on a powerful game engine.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-21-2009, 03:17 PM   #2

Yes, this guy is truly talented.

But we already have a thread about his videos. You may look it up here. This new video is actually the third he made; this past July he released two previous ones that showcased his very interesting technique.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:51 PM   #3
Banned User

This video is absolutely amazing! This is the very thing I've been talking about when discussing 3d over 2d. It is far superior over 2d, especially since this very thing was made by one guy.

Last edited by kadji-kun; 09-21-2009 at 05:02 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:21 PM   #4

I'll repeat what I said in another thread where this video was posted...

Quote:
That's amazing! I wish the telltale game had that kind of atmosphere and detail.
Well obviously some textures would need some tweaking but it's still awesome.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:58 AM   #5
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadWolf View Post
Yes, this guy is truly talented.

But we already have a thread about his videos. You may look it up here. This new video is actually the third he made; this past July he released two previous ones that showcased his very interesting technique.
That's a very different-looking video. I don't think the same people are involved.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:41 AM   #6

I don't know if the other videos were made by the same person but those were totally different technique...something like "pseudo-3D" based on 2d images which while interesting it didn't convince me that it could really work.
This is actually a full real time 3D designed world and to me personally totally succeeded to capture the original's atmosphere. At least of those specific locations, I don't know if the rest of the game can be done equally good.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:55 AM   #7

Send a message via ICQ to Nautilus

Wow, it would be gorgeous.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:22 AM   #8

It would be gorgeous, with a suitable character design. Not so keen on the first person perspective, though.

Just finished:Jurassic Park, Mata Hari
Playing now:Assassin's Creed 2, So Blonde
To be continued:Final Fantasy 13
Old 09-22-2009, 06:27 AM   #9

Amazing how the music maintains the atmosphere so well. I would actually play this and love it I think, but I will always be partial to the art style of the original MI2.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:22 PM   #10
Banned User

This video is made by the exact same person. When you see the video get to the dock part, you will notice how that model was made using the technique from the previous videos. You can see the texture stretching on the dock itself because it was ripped from the MI remake.

What the guy did was use that technique and tried it out in a game engine, which had an amazing result.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:39 AM   #11

Yes, he is indeed the same guy as the previous two videos. In fact, he works at Crytek, which explains how deliciously proficient he is with the engine on display.

He also goes by the username of Guy.brush on the MixnMojo forums, in case anyone's curious...
Old 09-23-2009, 07:20 AM   #12

He made a crucial mistake: It isn't Monkey Island, it's Scabb Island!
Old 09-23-2009, 07:56 AM   #13
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keregioz View Post
I'll repeat what I said in another thread where this video was posted...

That's amazing! I wish the telltale game had that kind of atmosphere and detail.

Well obviously some textures would need some tweaking but it's still awesome.
I think it's more complicated than that. It is one thing to make such a nice tech demo, but a totally different thing to create a whole game using this tech. It would take much more time, money and resources. Remember one thing: if Telltale was upping their technology to look like this, there is no way they would be able to deliver episodic content (I'm looking at Valve's joke of an attempt at episodes), and their whole business model would be broken.

Firefox rules
Old 09-23-2009, 08:53 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28 View Post
I think it's more complicated than that. It is one thing to make such a nice tech demo, but a totally different thing to create a whole game using this tech. It would take much more time, money and resources. Remember one thing: if Telltale was upping their technology to look like this, there is no way they would be able to deliver episodic content (I'm looking at Valve's joke of an attempt at episodes), and their whole business model would be broken.
Yes, I agree. I wouldn't expect a telltale game to have that level of detail I just wish it did. The atmosphere on the other hand could definitely be much better and similar to this even with their current game engine.

Last edited by Keregioz; 09-23-2009 at 09:34 AM.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:49 PM   #15
Banned User

Yet I thought ToMI Episode 1 was absolutely amazing. I love the graphics, the dialogue and the atmosphere. It made me feel like I was playing Curse all over again, without knowing what was going to happen.

No matter what, people will always want more, even if what we have is above the norm.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:01 PM   #16

I felt like I was playing EMI all over again personally, which I like but it's nowhere near as good as the first 3. And that's basically because of the atmosphere. Both EMI and TMI have elements that really feel out of place in the monkey island universe the way Ron Gilbert introduced it. Stuff like
Spoiler:
merepeople, giant manatees, news reporters, mad scientists, pool diving competitions, ancient tribes, school
etc. would never appear in the first 3 games. They were all about pirates, lost treasures, ghosts and voodoo.
Old 09-23-2009, 02:28 PM   #17
Headbanger

Quote:
Stuff like
Spoiler:
merepeople, giant manatees, news reporters, mad scientists, pool diving competitions, ancient tribes, school
etc. would never appear in the first 3 games. They were all about pirates, lost treasures, ghosts and voodoo.
Eh, what?

Spoiler:
George Lucas in a troll costume and a theme park??? Only to mention a few things.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:03 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadji-kun View Post
Yet I thought ToMI Episode 1 was absolutely amazing. I love the graphics, the dialogue and the atmosphere. It made me feel like I was playing Curse all over again, without knowing what was going to happen.

No matter what, people will always want more, even if what we have is above the norm.
Funny you metioned this. Actually I was really disapointed with the first instalment. I thought the opening was just ridiculous ! For starters, where is LeChuck's skeleton crew ? And then the part with the three piratestories wich was completely redundant and for me felt as filler puzzles that had nothing to do with the story. The only nice thing was the appearence of the Screaming Narwhal and it's captain wich was just brilliant ! And when you finally reach Deep Gut it all gets better and I started really enjoying the game. But for me it could in no way live up to Curse of - or even Escape from Monkey Island

I liked the second one a lot better though, thought 3D worked real well for Spinner Cay, gave it a real fantasy look. And can't wait for Chapter 3. Apparantly Murray is gonna make an appearence. Maybe I will get the Curse of MI feeling back after all
Old 09-23-2009, 04:10 PM   #19
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray pierce View Post
Funny you metioned this. Actually I was really disapointed with the first instalment. I thought the opening was just ridiculous ! For starters, where is LeChuck's skeleton crew ? And then the part with the three piratestories wich was completely redundant and for me felt as filler puzzles that had nothing to do with the story. The only nice thing was the appearence of the Screaming Narwhal and it's captain wich was just brilliant ! And when you finally reach Deep Gut it all gets better and I started really enjoying the game. But for me it could in no way live up to Curse of - or even Escape from Monkey Island

I liked the second one a lot better though, thought 3D worked real well for Spinner Cay, gave it a real fantasy look. And can't wait for Chapter 3. Apparantly Murray is gonna make an appearence. Maybe I will get the Curse of MI feeling back after all
I treat ToMI like all episodic series. I don't expect all the answers to show up in the first episode like many people seem to expect.

Quote:
I felt like I was playing EMI all over again personally, which I like but it's nowhere near as good as the first 3. And that's basically because of the atmosphere. Both EMI and TMI have elements that really feel out of place in the monkey island universe the way Ron Gilbert introduced it. Stuff like
Spoiler:
Yeah, you didn't play the same game I did. Last time I checked, the Monkey Island series was all about spoofing pirates and inconsistent concepts. So, I take it that the traditional Sierra death scene dialog in Secret of Monkey Island doesn't fit in ToMI bandwagon? Oh wait, people are just playing ignorant all over again.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:57 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke View Post
Eh, what?

Spoiler:
George Lucas in a troll costume and a theme park??? Only to mention a few things.
Spoiler:

George Lucas was a cameo only in the special edition, as for the theme park I'd like to think that Ron Gilbert had a specific reason to put it there, I'm sure you're aware of the many theories floating around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadji-kun View Post
Yeah, you didn't play the same game I did. Last time I checked, the Monkey Island series was all about spoofing pirates and inconsistent concepts. So, I take it that the traditional Sierra death scene dialog in Secret of Monkey Island doesn't fit in ToMI bandwagon? Oh wait, people are just playing ignorant all over again.
I didn't say monkey island was a serious adventure game. Yeah it's about spoofing pirates, ghosts ans voodoo while keeping a dark and grimy atmosphere that fits that specific era. Yes there where some anachronisms in the first games but there were far less and served basically to provide some comedy moments, the gameplay wasn't based on them. I really don't see how the death scene in SMI is the same with the stuff I mentioned.

Anyway, I'm not sure I understand what is your problem. I just stated my opinion that the atmosphere in TMI doesn't feel like the 3 first games to me (at least not yet). You on the other hand seem to enjoy it much more, good for you but why you feel the need to insult anyone that doesn't agree with you?