You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2009, 12:02 PM   #1
Psychonaut

Default Lucasarts future

http://www.gametrailers.com/episode/...9?ch=1&sd=1_hd

Gametrailers has an extended interview with Lucasarts new head.

He makes some sly comments about the future for lucas adventure games.

Monkey Island surplassed sales targets so hints at future titles.

Also shows their first original puzzle game in years.

Lucidity

Quote:
In Lucidity, players take a trip into the imagination of Sofi, a young girl who is filled with a persistent desire to explore new worlds and overcome all obstacles in her way. In this challenging puzzle platform game, players are tasked with keeping Sofi safe as she drifts deeper into the strange new world of her dreams. Through quick reaction and placement of randomly generated puzzle pieces, players must create a path through beautifully detailed dreamscapes to keep Sofi in perpetual motion and deliver her to safety.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:48 PM   #2
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Meh. The interesting part was about Star Wars Unleashed and new Battlefront.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:10 PM   #3
Pixel Clicker

To LucasArts: "Give us a KotOR 3!!!"

I'm not really into the TOR MMO they are making. For those of you who haven't heard about it, Lucas Arts is making an online role playing game based in the Knights of the Old Republic timeline. I'd much rather have a single player game than an online role playing game. By putting a game online, the story usually gets gutted, and everyone is focused on stats and items; that is so boring.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:51 PM   #4
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattWBradbury View Post

I'm not really into the TOR MMO they are making. For those of you who haven't heard about it, Lucas Arts is making an online role playing game based in the Knights of the Old Republic timeline. I'd much rather have a single player game than an online role playing game. By putting a game online, the story usually gets gutted, and everyone is focused on stats and items; that is so boring.

Have you actually looked at the TOR gameplay footage they've been putting out? It looks much more KOTOR than WoW.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:49 PM   #5

I will deffinately be engulfing myself in the MMORPG life for TOR.

Also, it's nice to hear that we are doing our part to pass the Monkey Island sales expectations.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:50 PM   #6
Pixel Clicker

Yes, I have seen the footage; it's all over gamespot. The gameplay is not the thing I am worried about. It's the multiplayer aspect that I am worried about. People can come into the chat and blurt out spoilers like there's no tomorrow. So much so that you don't ever get to experience the story.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:05 PM   #7

Lucas Art's Lucidity

This is what the adventure game genre truly needs. The graphic design in this game is just far beyond any video games current story telling capabilities alone, this game already shows a certain quality about it absent in most other genres, if not all genres. The atmosphere and life it gives to it's focused genre walks other most contributions to recent genres from different titles. Beautiful artistic style going on here that Lucas Arts should be proud of! From what little we see Lucas Arts already is proving that it can be the BOSS of story telling and adventure games. If Lucas Arts goes through with this then it's going to revive the adventure game genre FULL FORCE.

Nothing else comes close to the atmosphere and intellectual creative settings in this game. Nothing out there, these screens are very intellectual and creative, ingenious design. You can already see that this game is perfect for the genre it's intended for and BY FAR exceeds other genres in intellectual story telling, this is by far a more conscious and comprehensive effort in story telling, by far more intellectual then any 3D shooter or any other sort that's come out as of late.

This game has my utter excitement, you can tell already that it's solid and well thought out. This is an innovative and brilliant idea to bring back intellectual adventure/puzzle solving games.

Not only is this purely an adventure game by first sight but it takes the genre to a whole new level that rivals far above most current genres of video gaming.

There's good games and then there's masterpieces titles that can redefine a genre for decades, this game looks like a masterpiece classic in the works.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Yes, I have seen the footage; it's all over gamespot. The gameplay is not the thing I am worried about. It's the multiplayer aspect that I am worried about. People can come into the chat and blurt out spoilers like there's no tomorrow. So much so that you don't ever get to experience the story.
There isn't really spolers in those types of games.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:47 PM   #9
merely human

Quote:
I thought we were already given that.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-12-2009, 12:27 AM   #10
Life and times of...

No, I don't think Mass Effect is at all a KotOR 3. It's really good, and although it obviously has many qualities in common, it's still a greatly different game and there's great differences in the gameplay

I understand that you weren't completely serious, but still I don't think that those who loved KotOR will necessarily enjoy Mass Effect, at least for the same reasons...

Anyways, Lucidity looks mighty fine. The whole setting reminds me a bit of Psychonauts. I've recently been wondering why there's not more random puzzles, both random in "where" they are but also "how" they are. I think AGs could maybe at least try to learn something from it, see if they could make puzzles that change from play to play, be it because of randomization or by your actions...

And of course great news about MI surpassing sales expectations
Old 09-12-2009, 07:57 AM   #11
J.H
Frak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostPirateLechuck View Post
I will deffinately be engulfing myself in the MMORPG life for TOR.

Also, it's nice to hear that we are doing our part to pass the Monkey Island sales expectations.
Same, although I got hooked on WoW for about two months straight then completely quit (for the moment) as I got very bored. A Star Wars MMO sounds good though.

Lucidity doesn't really look too good IMO but we'll see.

The way he smiled when he says wouldn't it be good to work on new things made me think there's some good thing in the pipeline as far as AG's are concerned.

Last edited by J.H; 09-12-2009 at 08:10 AM.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:37 AM   #12
Homer of Kittens

It would be nice to have a Tales of Tentacles next. Man I love that game

Firefox rules
Old 09-12-2009, 10:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28 View Post
It would be nice to have a Tales of Tentacles next. Man I love that game
I would love that, too. Or a "Tales from The Kick Stand," featuring different biker stories/adventures in the Full Throttle universe that start out as stories told over darts, shots or knife games at that dive bar in the game.

However, I think I'd even more enjoy a completely new game/series. I remember the feeling I'd get keeping up with completely new projects from LucasArts (such as Full Throttle and Grim Fandango) that were in no way connected to any previous film/game/comic series put out by the company. Waiting for them to come out, then starting them up with no idea what to expect, no familiarity with the characters, locations or plot, and then being blown away by a 100 percent new experience.

I'll never forget starting up Grim Fandango after waiting forever on the preorder. I had no idea I'd be starting what would be (to me and many others) the greatest adventure game of all time. Playing through Year Two late at night in the dark with just one dim lamp in the room ... so atmospheric, so perfect.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:14 AM   #14
Dungeon Master

Lucidity looks no more adventurish than any other puzzle-platformer (ie. still quite a lot), but seems like a title full of creativity we haven't seen from LucasArts for a while (even though mainly in the graphics department so far; the gameplay appears a bit simplistic compared to recent similar productions like Braid, Trine or Echochrome). Is it an in-house production or is LEC acting as a publisher only?
Old 09-12-2009, 12:21 PM   #15
J.H
Frak.

Lucidity is like an inverted vib ribbon with better graphics tbh.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:37 PM   #16
Friendly Server Admin

Man, what's up with Lucasarts giving up on original IP, huh? It's just Star Wars, Star Wars, Indy, Star Wars. And this new completely original thing looks pretty crap, huh? They should really just make more Day of the Tentacle or Full Throttle.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:32 PM   #17

Personally, I feel things are looking up for LucasArts, and I'm hoping their journey to the dark side is reaching an end. Also, I'm very pleased to see The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition sold even more than expected.

However, I really couldn't care less about BioWare's new Star Wars MMO and the latest Battlefront title. But hey, it's Star Wars after all, so it will probably sell like hotcakes as usual.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:13 PM   #18
J.H
Frak.

I get the feeling from the presidents reactions that there's a lot more AG stuff to come but he wasn't saying anything about it yet.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:52 PM   #19
I (heart) classics.

Reading some of the replies to this thread disheartened me a little. It reminded me of the book Rogue Leaders -- a book almost ghosted by LucasArts that dedicates 75% of it's pages to Star Wars. Then, as an adventure gamer, I fall upon this thread, and the first handful of replies here are essentially saying "down with the classic properties, bring us more Star Wars and other fighting games!" [unless they want a MMO Tentacle game, which just scares me.]

Don't get me wrong, I want to see more quality works from Lucas. I just stopped holding my breath years ago. Although it wasn't worth the $10, I bought the SOMI update, partly for curiosity and partly to support the cause. But then I noticed how little they cared, even about that, how lazy they were, they didn't bother animating details from the original, like any flowing water or lava, or flickering fires.

The next MM or MI title that comes out, my wallet will open immediately. But I'm not expecting to get my money's worth anymore if it's released by Lucas.

Last edited by dmouse097; 09-14-2009 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:36 PM   #20
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmouse097 View Post
half the replies here are essentially saying "down with the classic properties, bring us more Star Wars and other fighting games!"
Pretty sure you're wrong, there.