You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Dreamfall vs Overclocked

View Poll Results: Which is the "better" game?
Dreamfall 17 73.91%
Overclocked 6 26.09%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2009, 11:54 PM   #1

Default Dreamfall vs Overclocked

I'm in a conundrum that I can't decide which game to get next. I've played the "Overclocked" demo and really liked it. I'm finishing up with "The Longest Journey" and like it as well. I've heard "Dreamfall" is rather different than its predecessor, though.

I've read several reviews of both games, even watched gameplay vids. To be honest, it only made matters worse

So I still have some questions. From an economic point of view, which game is the longest? By which I don't mean which one has the hardest puzzles (that's another question).

Which I pose here: the hardest puzzles. I hate Myst-style puzzles; I have Sierra and LucasArts experience (with the latter earning my personal preference) so inventory puzzles and finding the right character to talk to are my cup of tea. I hear "Overclocked" is pretty straightforward, it's like a movie and you just have to click on the right things to move ahead. "Dreamfall" seems to offer a combination of things and from what I've read about it it's like it has a slight RPG feel to it, almost in the same way as you can say that the Final Fantasy games have a slight adventure game feel to them.

I know they're two totally different games and stories, but which one is the more immersive? I'd say "Dreamfall" because of all the details; "Overclocked" seems to give the feeling that you're still watching something instead of being inside something.

Also from an economic point of view, both games have the same price tag. Can we expect a drop in price which might solve the problem in another way, meaning I can just get both games at once?

Just finished:Jurassic Park, Mata Hari
Playing now:Assassin's Creed 2, So Blonde
To be continued:Final Fantasy 13
Old 09-03-2009, 12:22 AM   #2
Stalker of Britain

Dreamfall, definitely.

I've played both of them, and I'm a big fan of the "Longest Journey" series. First off-Dreamfall has been out awhile, so I doubt the price will drop too much on that. Look around on Amazon, where they usually go for about $10.

Dreamfall is most definitely the longest, which gives it's predecesor quite a run for it's money. As for the hardest puzzles-I'd really say "Overclocked". There is a type of puzzle where you have to select a part of someone's dialogue and play it back for someone else. It's an interesting idea, but can get a bit repetative. Now, of course with Dreamfall, there are some "stupid" puzzles. There are some fighting scenes, quick reflexes-connect the same looking pictures kind of mini games, and a stupid sneak one with a cave. But I think the story is much more rewarding in Dreamfall, which makes up for some of the bad puzzles.

Dreamfall has such an amazing story; yes, it is different from the 1st one, but it's so good in it's own right. Overclocked was interesting in it's own right, but the story at the end of the day left a mediocre feeling for me, and the characters forgetable.

So go for Dreamfall. IMHO!
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 09-03-2009, 01:12 AM   #3

Dreamfall is a better game overall but overclocked is one of my favorites too and it seems that you will like it too. If you must get only one now go with Dreamfall...but eventually you should definitely play both.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:19 AM   #4

Thanks for the thoughts. I've been thinking the same thing: go with "Dreamfall" for now, especially now "The Longest Journey" is still fresh in memory. But I will definitely get "Overclocked" when my gaming budget has been elevated

Old 09-03-2009, 01:58 AM   #5

yup that's a good choice, get Dreamfall first, my reason is :
- I would rather looking at female lead character than male
- I dislike gory stuff
- Game Environment looks awesome
Old 09-03-2009, 01:59 AM   #6
kamikaze hummingbirds

I think 'Dreamfall' because it added to the storyline of the excellent 'The Longest Journey' and I enjoyed the atmosphere and seeing the main character's underwear and stuff.

'Overclocked' is definitely worth playing though: there are points where it can be a bit repetitive, but the storyline is quite intriguing and the ending - unlike 'Dreamfall' - delivers sufficient closure, and I think there's more actual gameplay too (if you play 'Dreamfall', you should prepare for a lot of watching and delivering things to people).

Both are VEEEEEERY good, though - but go for 'Dreamfall' if you really liked TLJ.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:15 AM   #7
The Quiet One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerite View Post
...and I enjoyed the atmosphere and seeing the main character's underwear and stuff.

Another vote for Dreamfall.

I haven't played Overclocked, and I'm not particularly bothered about it either, so I can't comment on that one.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 09-03-2009, 02:19 AM   #8

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Absolutely Dreamfall, an adventure that did almost everything right and told a story incredibly compelling.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 09-03-2009, 08:17 AM   #9

While Dreamfall didn't live up to the impossibly high hopes I had set for it, as a sequel to TLJ, it was still a very good game. Overclocked on the other hand, really didn't impress me very much, I had more fun with Indigo Prophecy which was very similar.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:55 AM   #10

Both are good, but neither one excels (which is especially painful to say about Dreamfall, since it's the sequel to perhaps the best adventure game ever, TLJ). If you want to choose one, go for Dreamfall, it's longer and the story is more immersive (plus you want to have a good-looking character if you're going to spend some time in front of the screen, and Zoe is definitely cute). Prepare yourself for some horrible controls though, and, as you already mentioned, action-style elements in the gameplay.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:42 PM   #11
Junior Mint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Writer View Post
I hear "Overclocked" is pretty straightforward, it's like a movie and you just have to click on the right things to move ahead.
I have not played Overclocked, but this is pretty much how I would describe Dreamfall. There is a lot more running from place to place, and watching cut scenes, than there is actual gameplay. However, if you didn't lose interest in TLJ during the last few chapters (where, with the exception of the spaceport, there was very little gameplay, and mostly walking and dialogue), then you should be okay with Dreamfall. Despite not having all that much actual gameplay, it IS extremely immersive. The narrative and dialogue are some of the best in any game, ever, and you will come to care about ALL of the characters, even the "bad guys". Plus, it is a huge game.

Quote:
"Dreamfall" seems to offer a combination of things and from what I've read about it it's like it has a slight RPG feel to it
I didn't notice any RPG elements or feel to it; I felt like it was more of a hybrid between traditional adventure and 3D light action game. It has mild elements of platforming, fighting, and stealth, but all of these are pretty easy to master unless you are a *complete* novice to 3D action games (and many of those people *still* love this game).
Old 09-04-2009, 02:11 AM   #12

this ones easy: dreamfall.

now if it were dreamfall vs. indigo prophecy (fahrenheit outside NA) it'd be a lot tougher
Old 09-04-2009, 02:28 AM   #13
She Wants Revenge

While Overclocked was charming in its way it's not an excellent game. A good one yes, but you wouldn't miss out on anything important for not playing it. (Though by all means, still play it.) Dreamfall is one of those games you just have to play to be taken seriously . It is larger than life and it is referred to constantly. booB put some good words about it already so I won't go any deeper.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:17 AM   #14

I'd just like to thank everyone for their valuable input. I went and downloaded "Dreamfall". It's a great game and far more connected to its predecessor than I was led to believe. Yes, the combat is annoying and reminds me a bit of the combat in Quest for Glory 2 for some reason, only that you can move around more. I love how some of the settings from the first game have been 3D'd and you can actually walk around in it. I wish the default setting was to walk and that you have to press a key to run instead of the other way around; is there a way to change that or is it just programmed that way?

The game is of an adequate difficulty for me. Had some trouble here and there but nothing a few minutes of thinking about it didn't solve. The worst parts for me are the enemies you have to avoid or run away from. Died several times already. I'm not good with that kind of pressure.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:22 PM   #15

It's a bit hard to answer this question, since we've dealing with two completely different genres here. Personally, I'm not big fan of either of them (fantasy and noir), but I have played both games, and both of them are definitely worth playing.

Overall, Dreamfall is IMO more polished game, it has great graphic, sound, story, and of course, mythology. The puzzles are weaker part of the game, but I think they are still solid in context of the story-driven adventure. Overclocked, on the other hand, has great atmosphere and pretty interesting story. I can say that it is definitely one of the best "dark" adventure games I've played so far. But, technically it is a bit rough. But my main objection for this game is probably the depressing setting (although, this is a matter of personal taste, of course).
Old 09-22-2009, 12:24 PM   #16

I finished Dreamfall, and I didn't even know it. I mean, how are you supposed to realize that walking into a house is the last action you do? The cutscenes kept coming and coming and then suddenly, there are the credits!

Looking forward to whatever comes next, but nothing's even in production yet so I doubt it'll happen.

Great game, though. I really didn't want it to end.

Old 09-22-2009, 03:08 PM   #17
She Wants Revenge

Quote:
I finished Dreamfall, and I didn't even know it. I mean, how are you supposed to realize that walking into a house is the last action you do? The cutscenes kept coming and coming and then suddenly, there are the credits!

Looking forward to whatever comes next, but nothing's even in production yet so I doubt it'll happen.

Great game, though. I really didn't want it to end.
Ragnar Tornquist has promised us a sequel to both Dreamfall and TLJ (as Dreamfall is not really a TLJ sequel as it is). The problem is that Funcom is currently working on this mmo The Secret World and Tornquist and the team are on it.

Dreamfall/TLJ forum will let you know more: http://forums.longestjourney.com/index.php

Also there is this:
Quote:
UGDB: By the way, what is going on with the Dreamfall: The Longest Journey sequel?

CM: *laughs* Right now, the team behind TLJ is working on our other MMO game The Secret World. We can say that the story for the Dreamfall sequel is ready, but we cannot say that it is in even in pre-production state. And yes, we know that this franchise is very well received both by critics and users, but right now we are focused on our three MMO games [Age of Conan, Anarchy Online and The Secret World]. We definitely had not forgotten the series, but you should have a lot of patience because, for example, the story of Anarchy Online was ready in 1996, but the game was released in 2001.
http://ugdb.com/article/view/preview-interview/
Old 09-22-2009, 11:13 PM   #18

I've visited those forums; good to read the creators are still interested in it. Looks like that Ragnar guy has it all worked out in his head. So he's planning an episodic series called "Dreamfall Chapters", not really following the main storyline but kind of giving background info on smaller characters and stuff. Then the big finale in "The Longest Journey 2". Actually, I don't really see why "Dreamfall" isn't viewed as a real sequel. Looked pretty sequelly to me, with the same characters and same settings, only from the point of view of a new character and with a new storyline.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:40 AM   #19
She Wants Revenge

Quote:
I've visited those forums; good to read the creators are still interested in it. Looks like that Ragnar guy has it all worked out in his head. So he's planning an episodic series called "Dreamfall Chapters", not really following the main storyline but kind of giving background info on smaller characters and stuff. Then the big finale in "The Longest Journey 2". Actually, I don't really see why "Dreamfall" isn't viewed as a real sequel. Looked pretty sequelly to me, with the same characters and same settings, only from the point of view of a new character and with a new storyline.
Well it is a sequel yeah but not really for the story. TLJ story was about the balance and the guardians etc. while Dreamfall focuses on the dreamworld and the undreaming and the characters from the first game are rather side characters with the focus on Zoë and the girl in static. But surely yes it can still be a sequel, people are just waiting for the story about April and the balance .
Old 09-23-2009, 02:56 AM   #20

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by millenia View Post
But surely yes it can still be a sequel, people are just waiting for the story about April and the balance .
I don't know anymore if I'm more waiting for April and the balance - which were my biggest questions after TLJ - or if, now that I've played DF three times, I'm more excited about discovering what the heck the Undreaming really was
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box