You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw reviews Tales of Monkey Island

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2009, 09:34 AM   #1

Default Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw reviews Tales of Monkey Island

Video review is here.

Whilst I've only played the demo and watched a few videos I would already say a number of Yahtzee points ring true. The fact that Threepwood does seem 'competant' rather than the clumsy, goofy, even ugly underdog in previous games sums up that TaleTell are too afraid to make anything remotely unlikable about him in fear the hardcore fans will retaliate.

Anyway, anyone else's thoughts?
Old 09-02-2009, 10:14 AM   #2
Psychonaut

He's a pompous over-rated tosser.

Or did you mean about the game.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:39 AM   #3
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Guybrush is definitely not Goofy. He was reasonably competent in the first 3 games.

Anyway, I'm not sure if there is much point in listening to Yahtzee's views on adventure games anymore. At least in taking them seriously. First he spends years creating amateur, very traditional ones, also seriously analyzing the genre in his articles, then he starts saying that adventure games (even the classic ones) are not worth playing in the modern era.

I wonder if it is because he is more of an entertainer than a critic now and likes to tease the audience with all sorts of his dislikes?

Last edited by Ascovel; 09-02-2009 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Anyway, I'm not sure if there is much point in listening to Yahtzee's views on adventure games anymore. At least in taking them seriously. First he spends years creating amateur, very traditional ones then he keeps telling that adventure games (even the classic ones) are not worth playing in the modern era.
I'd say that's even more of a reason to listen his views on the subject. I'm sure some extent he's pandering to his new demographic, but that doesn't make what he's saying invalid - just extreme.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:39 PM   #5

He does have some good points. Problem is he is exaggerating a lot and only focuses on the negative aspects.

I don't really think that anyone watches his videos considering them as legitimate reviews. Most people watch them just to have a laugh cause they're kinda funny (occasionally).
Old 09-02-2009, 03:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascovel View Post
I wonder if it is because he is more of an entertainer than a critic now and likes to tease the audience with all sorts of his dislikes?
Well, his goal is to irritate the fans of whatever franchise he's reviewing and that's probably why he's remained so popular. The people that don't like the game get to laugh with him, while the people that do like the game get angry and frustrated. It's designed to spark discussion. I've seen some people take it too seriously, though -- these clearly aren't serious videos.

I read a blog recently, where the author was clearly annoyed at what Yahtzee had to say about a particular game, so he said, "Personally, I prefer my video reviews with American accents."
Old 09-02-2009, 04:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by orient View Post
Well, his goal is to irritate the fans of whatever franchise he's reviewing and that's probably why he's remained so popular. The people that don't like the game get to laugh with him, while the people that do like the game get angry and frustrated. It's designed to spark discussion. I've seen some people take it too seriously, though -- these clearly aren't serious videos.
However, there actually exists a game that even he had to admit it was f****ing awesome ... http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...The-Orange-Box (jump to 3:30)
Old 09-03-2009, 04:38 AM   #8

Send a message via ICQ to Jadefalcon Send a message via MSN to Jadefalcon

His video review of Saints Row 2 was also pretty positive, though his review of 'Duke Nukem Forever' was just hilarious, especially considering there are still people who believe it will still come out.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:13 AM   #9
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:

I read a blog recently, where the author was clearly annoyed at what Yahtzee had to say about a particular game, so he said, "Personally, I prefer my video reviews with American accents."
I wasn't thinking specifically about Zero-Punctuation, but mostly about a video mentioned by Terramax here were he pretty much says the gameplay in adventure games is crap and always was and we should be happy that they're quite dead by now and other genre have the money to invest both in storylines and in decent gameplay.

If that's just his style and not real opinion then, as I said, the validity of anything he says is put into question. What's the point in discussing someone's opinions when that person isn't honest about them?

Last edited by Ascovel; 09-03-2009 at 05:35 AM.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:19 AM   #10
"But... It's Pink."

As a solid fan of both Yahtzee and the 'Tales' Monkey Island revamp, I had a good giggle at his typically pithy 'review', briefly considered a few of the points he'd made and then forgot all about it.

In my opinion, Zero Punctuation's appeal is in its scathing, caustic humour - and as Yahtzee himself has mentioned in the past, it's difficult to be sarcastically amusing whilst praising a game's good points. Most of his viewers (myself included, to be honest ) expect biting, hilarious criticism about a title's flaws, rather than a considered and subjective analysis with all the pros and cons fairly weighed out. In rare cases, he'll go off on a bizarre tangent during a review and end up barely mentioning the game in question at all! The end result is usually still worth a watch.

Not to say that he doesn't make the occasional good point - even whilst ranting and raving, Yahtzee is more than able to hit the nail on the head... However, I'm guessing that these moments of accuracy are less important to most of his viewers than having a good giggle at the expense of whatever poor sod of a game is getting torn apart this week.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keregioz View Post
However, there actually exists a game that even he had to admit it was f****ing awesome ... http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...The-Orange-Box (jump to 3:30)
He also loves the first Thief game so much (definitely an indicator of good taste, in my book) that he did a glowing review of it... 11 years after the game was released:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/544-Thief-The-Dark-Project
Old 09-04-2009, 12:01 AM   #12
Thats the ticket

Thought the "review" was very funny. Anyone catch the reference to sticking a moustache up a cats bottom? Mmm wonder what game he could be alluding to...
Old 09-04-2009, 11:02 AM   #13

Personally, I can't stand Yahtzee. It's so much easier to bash something you hate than express admiration for something you love. Apparently, the former has proven to be far more popular on the web.

I understand his take on reviews is a humorous one, but somehow I end up not laughing at all. So meaningless to me.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:29 AM   #14

I see no reason to criticize Zero Punctuation. The reviews are really quite witty and usually do a fine job at pointing out the biggest flaws in game design. The point has been said a couple times above already, but I'll just reiterate that the reviews aren't meant to be taken too seriously. It's just entertainment, and if it's able to spark discussion about the flaws, all the better.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascovel View Post
I wasn't thinking specifically about Zero-Punctuation, but mostly about a video mentioned by Terramax here were he pretty much says the gameplay in adventure games is crap and always was and we should be happy that they're quite dead by now and other genre have the money to invest both in storylines and in decent gameplay.
I felt he was simply suggesting an alternative to the "adventure games are dead and gone" mentality, which is all you ever hear from the mainstream gaming media in regards to adventure games.

What he said about the gameplay in adventure games (more specifically, the foundations of old LucasArts games) wasn't exactly positive, but I don't think he was being unreasonable about it. If given the chance to make a brand new, "modern day" adventure, I don't think ex-LucasArts employees would even stick to the same "rub items on objects" formula of yesteryear.

Speaking of that LucasArts reunion video, I found it interesting that they mostly agreed that adventure games can't work without the comedy. In terms of the old school, 3rd person point & click adventure, I can definitely see where they're coming from. I mean, even Syberia had some funny dialogue to offset the craziness of some of the puzzles, despite the overall seriousness. Then again, I loved Still Life and I can't remember laughing much in that game.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:33 AM   #16

Actually, they said that dialog trees and puzzles requiring you to do a lot of trial & error don't work without comedy in them. Nearly the same thing, but not quite.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:14 AM   #17

Lol.....Didn't it occur to you that Yahtzee is just exagerating and his reviews are just for LOLs.
If you look at his reviews, he's only reviewing GOOD games that get high ratings.
So he challenges himself to take these games apart.
Don't take the things he say too seriously....you might end up believing him.

This is what it says under his interests: "Being a professional troll, setting fire to childrens' dreams and your mum. "

Being a professional troll? Says enough, I think.

Last edited by Origami; 09-05-2009 at 10:21 AM.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:12 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origami View Post
If you look at his reviews, he's only reviewing GOOD games that get high ratings.
Good games? Not really. He focus mostly on overhyped and overrated games.
Old 09-05-2009, 01:02 PM   #19
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
I felt he was simply suggesting an alternative to the "adventure games are dead and gone" mentality, which is all you ever hear from the mainstream gaming media in regards to adventure games.
What alternative? This is exactly the "adventure games are dead and gone" mentality.

Quote:
What he said about the gameplay in adventure games (more specifically, the foundations of old LucasArts games) wasn't exactly positive, but I don't think he was being unreasonable about it. If given the chance to make a brand new, "modern day" adventure, I don't think ex-LucasArts employees would even stick to the same "rub items on objects" formula of yesteryear.
Almost all the people seen in that vid continue to create new adventure games (or games that are part adventure part something else). Actually they talk quite a bit about their newest productions and what they consider as modern adventure games.

Last edited by Ascovel; 09-05-2009 at 01:08 PM.
Old 09-05-2009, 02:43 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roper Klacks View Post
Good games? Not really. He focus mostly on overhyped and overrated games.
Ahh...yes. A better classification would've been "popular" games.
But 80% of the games are good(don't confuse good with masterpieces/perfect)...which I can testament out of own experience.