You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Gabriel Knight series, worth getting into at this point?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2009, 10:33 AM   #21

It is required playing. And yes, in order.

Best series of all time.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:08 PM   #22

Probably not adding a whole lot to the discussion here, but I will most definitely agree with a lot of what's being said — the games of the Gabriel Knight trilogy are perhaps the finest I've ever had the pleasure of playing.

Sounds like you'll be doing this anyway, but please make sure you play them in order. They can be enjoyed out of order, but there's no sense in doing so if you have the opportunity to play them chronologically. And while the graphics of each game may be dated, the art direction and style itself is near-unsurpassed.

Hope you love them. A whole heck of a lot.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:43 PM   #23

I'd like to give the first game in the series a try. Up until this point, I'd always thought Gabriel Knight was some type of medieval adventure, similar to King's Quest, but I guess not. That makes me a whole lot more interested.

Has the first game ever been re-released or updated, or is it available on any of the digital download portals?
Old 08-30-2009, 10:45 PM   #24

I want to get in to this series too.
Now, I don't mind dated graphics, to me TLJ still looks fine.
But my problem is that I am not to fond of animation with real people.
There is a lot of this in it, isn't there?
Old 08-30-2009, 11:16 PM   #25
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origami View Post
Only for the sprites, but even that doesn't look out of place.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:44 AM   #26
Pixiehunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origami View Post
Do you mean FMV, so everything is a video, with real actors? Only GK2 has that, and that story is awesome enough to not mind graphics you are not fond of. It did look odd to me too, the first few hours I played it, but it kinda grows on you.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:06 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83
The Gabriel Knight series represents, in my opinion, the crown jewel of adventure games: they have rich, profound stories often coping with deep, philosophical or metaphysical themes (freedom of choice vs. social constraints, Dionysian vs. Apollonian, immanentism vs. transcendence), soaked in occultism and esoteric lore, with multi-layered, complex and believable characters who often sport struggling, conflicting personalities. Their gameplay is always clever and thought-provoking, without becoming frustrating. They are difficult, though, especially the third one. And yes, you should play them in order to fully understand the meanders of the over-arching story.
Second that

If you're reall turned off by the graphical side of things of the first 2 games, start with the 3rd one, because you'll want to play the other 2 after that no matter what... That was the order I originally played them, even if it was for a different reason.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:31 AM   #28

^
If I play them, it will be in no other than numerical.
I looked at screens of the second game and I think I can cope with the AMV.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:49 AM   #29

I heard that GK 3 leaves a lot of questions unanswered. Is this true? Or is there some sense of closure?
Old 09-06-2009, 02:54 AM   #30

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

GK3 completely resolves the plot without leaving any unresolved storyline. Everything comes to a resolution and, after the closing credits, you will have wholly and fully understand the story, both the particular and the overarching one. But yes, the game ends with a cliffhanger.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 09-06-2009, 05:28 AM   #31

I actually played through GK 1 for the first time about half a year ago. And it was really good! The graphic is of course not so good, but its charming and for a 2d game its quite good aqtually. Its cool how you can look and interact with almost everything in the world without it necessary being an importand object. Its quite hard on some part though, but very very good!
Old 09-06-2009, 06:01 AM   #32
The Quiet One

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
Everything comes to a resolution and, after the closing credits, you will have wholly and fully understand the story, both the particular and the overarching one. But yes, the game ends with a cliffhanger.
I didn't though. I had to check some threads just to clear some questions I had. But then, I can be a bit slow at times.

I still don't know who

Spoiler:
Emilio carried off in that sheet at the end. At first I thought it was the body of Jesus, but I take it, it was the body of the first Schattenjager. Or was I right the first time?
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 09-06-2009, 06:46 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzoid View Post
I still don't know who

Spoiler:
Emilio carried off in that sheet at the end. At first I thought it was the body of Jesus, but I take it, it was the body of the first Schattenjager. Or was I right the first time?
You were right the first time
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:52 AM   #34
The Quiet One

Spoiler:
Seems a bit far-fetched though. Where does Emilio take him?
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 09-06-2009, 10:17 AM   #35

Actually, it makes perfect sense...

Spoiler:
...The body of Jesus was moved to the Languedoc by Marie Magdalen when she fled from Jerusalem after the Crucifixion, as it is hinted by Abbe Arnaud when Gabriel inquires him about the rooting Magdalen cult in Provence. The secret was discovered by the Knight Templars during their stay in the Holy Land - although I must admit that some believe that it was actually the Knights that moved the body to Languedoc. Emilio, the Wandering Jew, and Mesmi are members of a secret society dating back to the Egyptian times, whose purpose was to protect the sacred bloodline and, thus, Jesus. After the desecration of the Holy of Holies by Montreaux's vampires, it's safe to assume that Emilio, with the approval of the Society, decided to move the body of Christ to a safer, non-corrupted place

Last edited by AndreaDraco83; 09-06-2009 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:19 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
Spoiler:
...The body of Jesus was moved to the Languedoc by Marie Magdalen when she fled from Jerusalem after the Crucifixion, as it is hinted by Abbe Arnaud when Gabriel inquires him about the rooting Magdalen cult in Provence. The secret was discovered by the Knight Templars during their stay in the Holy Land - although I must admit that some believe that it was actually the Knights that moved the body to Languedoc. Emilio, the Wandering Jew, and Mesmi are members of a secret society dating back to the Egyptian times, whose purpose was to protect the sacred bloodline and, thus, Jesus. After the desecration of the Holy of Holies by Montreaux's vampires, it's safe to assume that Emilio, with the approval of the Society, decided to move the body of Christ to a safer, non-corrupted place
I'm struggling to find a single sentence in this paragraph that doesn't scream far-fetched.

Spoiler:
(Of course, GK3 is a great game, so you sort of buy it within the game, but still I wish that Jane Jensen had looked elsewhere than at Holy Blood, Holy Grail for inspiration...)
Old 09-06-2009, 11:46 AM   #37
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe View Post
I'm struggling to find a single sentence in this paragraph that doesn't scream far-fetched.

Spoiler:
(Of course, GK3 is a great game, so you sort of buy it within the game, but still I wish that Jane Jensen had looked elsewhere than at Holy Blood, Holy Grail for inspiration...)
Define far-fetched? Surely vampires and "secret societies" everywhere isn't exactly extremely realistic but have computergames main goal ever been realism in any way?
Old 09-06-2009, 11:51 AM   #38
The Quiet One

Quote:
It feels far-fetched to me in the same way that The Da Vinci Code did. But, unlike The Da Vinci Code, GK3's story is much more better written, interesting and immersive. And although I was confused with certain aspects of the story, after I'd finished GK3 a couple of times, I wasn't nearly as confused as I was after I'd seen TDVC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke View Post
Define far-fetched? Surely vampires and "secret societies" everywhere isn't exactly extremely realistic but have computergames main goal ever been realism in any way?
True.

Anyway, thanks for clarifying Andrea. It's still puzzling...

Spoiler:
how, even though Magdalen or the Templars had moved Christ's body, during the cutscene with Gabriel's ancestor, it seemed that Jesus had returned to the Heavens. But then... that could just be his spirit/soul I guess.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:27 PM   #39

Quote:

Spoiler:
Then perhaps it's a matter of taste, rather than genuine appreciation (or less) of the story

Spoiler:
Within the boundaries of supernatural-themed, speculative fiction, the story of GK3 seems to me everything but far-fetched, unless, of course, one doesn't wish to interpose his or her religious beliefs, the same beliefs that make Christ an untouchable figure. Otherwise, I honestly can't see what's far-fetched in the concept of a bloodline stemmed from the occult lore of an ancient group of Predynastic priests, who sought the power of blood to create a 'divine' line of Pharaohs. This concept, which I don't recall in Holy Blood, Holy Grail, is well-rooted in the actual Egyptian history and culture, where the Pharaohs were considered divine in nature and physical manifestation of Ma'at, the cosmical order. In addition to this, the 'Heka' magik as practiced by the priests of the highest rank often used blood and blood manipulation, so - in my opinion - Jane Jensen's imaginative story is very well grounded in actual history and folklore

Old 09-06-2009, 12:30 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke View Post
As I said, within the framework of the game, I (mostly) went it. It's just that, when reading it summed up in one paragraph, I was really struck by how silly the whole thing was. As far as I'm concerned, secret societies and conspiracy stories are always silly, especially when they involve historical events / characters, and the bigger the conspiracy, the sillier; and that was a huge conspiracy story!

Spoiler:
And, seriously, can you picture Marie Magdalen, with a decomposing body on her shoulders and her kids in tow, walking all the way from Jerusalem to Gaul? Poor woman. And why on earth would she even want to go there? It's not like the Louvre and the Eiffel tower had been built yet. There was nothing there, especially not in the Languedoc. Who would want to drag a body all the way there?

Once again, within the game, you don't think of the story that way, and you go along with it, because Jane Jensen is a good story-teller, and it makes for a fun game. But it only works as long as you don't think too hard about it and don't stop to realise how silly the whole premise is.

Spoiler:
Speaking of silly, I just love the dagger retcon. So the old Schattenjäger dagger, barely good enough to cut up dead mummies and pry open vents was actually a sacred relic blessed by Jesus? Talk about waste of a good blessing. Someone should have told the Ritters than needn't bother looking for their lost talisman when they had a much more important artifact gathering dust in the main hall of their castle.

(And that actually bugged me a lot even the first time I played the game.)

(Also, for some reason, I'm known to get cranky when the grail stories get bastardised. So let's not even go there.)