You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2010, 06:52 PM   #81
Tea & Cookie Monster

Have the game but I´m gonna wait a while with playing it. I have read somewhere that not all movies in this game are voiced in english, some are in german with english subtitles.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?
Old 10-05-2010, 09:11 PM   #82
lost in rubacava

Everything is voiced in English, Majsan. Well, except when a soldier says something like "Jawohl" (sp).
Old 10-06-2010, 08:51 AM   #83

In the Bonus, after the game, the prototype of the game with Kim has German voices with English subtitles. The prototype was a game in progress when they first started making it, some of those scenes will be found in the final game, but this time with Fenton Paddock as the lead character instead of Kim. An improvement as I liked Fenton a lot. In fact, I would put him right up there with George, Gabriel, Guybrush, and Kate.
As for the puzzle hint, it was Nina and Max and the news there will be a third Secret Files adventure. Great news for me! I hope that they decide to make another game with Fenton, that would be great, too!
Old 10-09-2010, 02:24 AM   #84

I've finished the game yesterday. Though I'm bit dissapointed about a few details, I would still rate the game 4,5 / 5.

As usual, graphic and diverse locations are the main reason why this title caught my attention. I must praise the quality of character models as well as the authenticity of the locations in conjunction with the time setting of the game. Everything is designed with top-quality style. The sound of the game isn't far from its visuals, either. All of the characters sound authentic (well, almost) and mature. The soundtrack is almost of the cinema quality, which boost the Indiana Jones flavour of the whole thing to the maximum. The story itself is decent and drives the gameplay well, though the stunning visuals and audio would make up for its relative thinnes in any case.

Of course, the game has its flaws as well. The most obvious one is very straightfoward gameplay, which makes a rather short game seem even shorter. Not that I'm a puzzle addict, but most of the puzzles are just too obvious, while some are even lame, and unmistakably envoke "Secret Files" games from the same house in that respect. The game features several logical puzzles as well, but they are not too difficult either. I've particulary liked the last chapter of the game, which involve solving the puzzles with the engagement of three main characters in turn.

The other thing that left me a bit dissapointed is humor of the characters. Although rather likeable, Fenton Paddock's humor is a bit harsh at times. Some of his lines are terribly cliched, as well as the temperament of his sidekick, Kim. She is portrayed as the tipical Hollywood adventure movies female companion, constantly oposing to the machismo of the main hero. Still, this is all rather acceptive and in tone with the game and the story, which just doesn't need more complex and wittier characters. In any case, Fenton and Kim are long way from Nina and Max.

To conclude, I would most definitely recommend this title to all fellow adventure games lovers, regardless of their particular taste. It's a solid dose of entertainment with high quality production.
Looking forward to: Hitman: Absolution, Tomb Raider, Max Payne 3, The Last Crown, Bracken Tor, Sherlock Holmes: The Testament, Secret Files III

Last edited by terhardp; 10-09-2010 at 02:30 AM.
Old 10-09-2010, 03:07 PM   #85

I liked this game so much that I can't wait for another game with Fenton Paddock. Kim too would be okay. Anyway, since I can't wait, I'm actually replaying Lost Horizon. This game has been compared to Indiana Jones, and now that I think of it, I played Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis 6 times, each of the 3 different paths twice!
Old 10-21-2010, 01:36 PM   #86

Loved it. Nothing more.
Old 10-30-2010, 03:18 PM   #87

finished it last night. Although The graphics,characters, music etc are top notch, The story is more like Indiana Jones type and I am not a fan of it.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:00 PM   #88
She Wants Revenge

Finished now, already voiced some opinions on the Lost Horizon/Alter Ego thread but these are the final thoughts:

3,5/5 would characterize the game as "nice"

Pros:
- Indy-like atmosphere at times
- Likeable characters, even though they are clichéd, they suit the game setting perfectly
- Very smooth and polished like SF games
- Multiple characters to control, and especially simultaneously (this worked great already in Day of the Tentacle)
- Potential in the plot

Cons:
- I think the story could have been better, a few chapters you don't even advance in the main plot and overall the "mysticism" is used way too little as it is pretty much the only interesting thing in the game (compare to GK games that ooze information)
- Stupid puzzles, and I mean stupid. Running around fetching all kinds of weird crap just to achieve something incredibly simple gets old fast.
- Because of the above reasons the middle chapters are boring.
- Short

The game was easy but that is neither a pro or a con, it was really easy though, I find it hard to believe anyone would get stuck and even the harder versions of the few puzzles were really simple.

I think I gave SF games 4/5 but those were more like 4-, so this game I consider almost as good.

Sidenotes:
- Yes, I think Richard looks like Heath Ledger and lots of other characters seemed like another movie stars, Richard's father was very much like Christopher Plummer for instance.
- What was with the Paddock's hat? He has it on his portrait but it is never on his head in the entire game.
Spoiler:
- How many ways Kim can kick the countess' ass? I saw 2 but didn't have time to try it again and again.

Last edited by millenia; 11-03-2010 at 07:18 AM.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:23 AM   #89
Roman5

Just finished it. I enjoyed it. However, terrible cliche'd supposedly funny lines which seems to be the standard garbage for all games these days. You sit there rolling your eyes while fenton comes out with another overly long completely unfunny line. And he says 'Christ' too much. Eventually you just scan your eyes fast over the subtitles then skip him actually finishing saying the dialogue because it's so crap, and get on with the task at hand. Germans are great at making games, but they need to get better scriptwriters if they want to make players laugh instead of cringe. I don't think there's ever been a game character who actually says funny things since george stobbart and gabriel knight.

The game is dumbed down a lot. Simple puzzles. Not saying I didn't get stuck once or twice, but only because I missed a hotspot here or there. I suppose if people that don't play point and clicks much can actually complete the game, they'll be more interested in buying other point and click games, rather than being so stuck they'll just quit and go back to an action game. The flipside is that seasoned adventurers don't get much substance to really get their teeth into.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:48 PM   #90

Oh boy was this a tedious game. I can't remember playing an adventure game that so clearly reminded me of running errands. There was one brief cutscene in Berlin that made me think for a moment that the game would forgo the back and forth Item A to Person B in Location C-but then no it was back to being errandboy. I realize this is what we end up doing in a lot of games, but here it was very thinly disguised.

My other complaint was the speed at which the characters spoke. The dialogue may not have been great-I can live with that-but all the characters spoke so sloooowly and calmly even when in a life or death situation.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:58 AM   #91

This game is in my Waiting List, I notice that some people have asked in the thread about a box release. That is exactly my doubt with this game. I know is released in download but I'm really looking forward to buy the box version, did anyone know is there will be a box version in english and where one can buy it? I have search in the internet without any luck and I'm trying to not download it until I'm sure there will not be a box version sooner.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:40 PM   #92
She Wants Revenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by HannibalUltor View Post
Oh boy was this a tedious game. I can't remember playing an adventure game that so clearly reminded me of running errands. There was one brief cutscene in Berlin that made me think for a moment that the game would forgo the back and forth Item A to Person B in Location C-but then no it was back to being errandboy. I realize this is what we end up doing in a lot of games, but here it was very thinly disguised.

My other complaint was the speed at which the characters spoke. The dialogue may not have been great-I can live with that-but all the characters spoke so sloooowly and calmly even when in a life or death situation.
I agree. Most games have some errand boy kinda quests but hardly ever it is as apparent as it is here. And how those errands have pretty much nothing to do with the main character or the grand adventure just make it worse. I have also started to pay more attention to these slow speaking aliens that have infested the adventure genre. I get that some authentic dialects and fast pace can be a bit hard for non natives but too much is too much.

The last chapter was rather good though and the game wasn't overall horrible, just not that great many people make it out to be.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:49 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by HannibalUltor View Post

agree 100%
Old 02-06-2011, 08:51 AM   #94

I am pleasantly surprised by this game.
Really one of the more ´fun´ adventure games I have played in recent years. It has a nice pacing, really lengthy and high production value. On occasions where previous locations could be rehashed, a new one is made just for the sake of one conversation. I also like the puzzles. Very logical and because of the ´magnifier icon´ that highlights all hotspots, you´re never stuck for too long. There also cool action sequences!
I give this game an 8/10. Together with Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper one of the few recent 3D adventure games that kept me interested along the way.
I am saving up Gray Matter. I sense that will be a winner too. After that Whispered World and Unforgotten Tales(or something like that)
Old 02-06-2011, 12:23 PM   #95

Hmm, what some players call "running errands" I see as a fair trade (If you do something for me, I'll do something for you.) and a win-win situation, which I enjoy. I even went so far as to have Fenton Paddock return an article he borrowed, which wasn't really necessary in terms of game play, and got some extra credit for it in the bonus, much to my surprise.
I wonder, maybe some players more used to action games, would rather shoot someone to get on with the game rather than *run an errand*?
Old 02-06-2011, 05:21 PM   #96

Default exactly

Yes, in adventure games it is all about "I'll do this for you if you do this for me." I loved everything about Lost Horizon. One of the better games I have ever played. I hope by some of these negative reviews that obviously are from people who don't enjoy inventory-based adventure games where you have to help somebody or use something to help somebody aren't turned away from this awesome game.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:13 PM   #97
lost in rubacava

"Most games have some errand boy kinda quests but hardly ever it is as apparent as it is here."

Surely you jest. Or haven't you played The Longest Journey?

Lost Horizon was a wonderful game, flowing, a visual delight. The last part with the interaction between Fenton and Richard, present and past, was especially good but I had a ball with the whole thing.

As for a boxed version, Dave has one used copy at Interact for $25. That's about ten bucks off the price of the game new.

Last edited by aimless; 02-06-2011 at 08:13 PM. Reason: correction
Old 02-07-2011, 02:34 AM   #98
She Wants Revenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimless View Post
"Most games have some errand boy kinda quests but hardly ever it is as apparent as it is here."

Surely you jest. Or haven't you played The Longest Journey?
You are seriously comparing questing for the magical pieces to this running around picking up ketchup stains? I would have nothing against some trading for the actual mystical and/or important items that are meaningful to the story. But I don't just see the point picking up rocks and potatoes and watermelons for people to get something as trivial in return to trade once again for something equally trivial. And while I am doing this I do not progress in the story - at all. If Fenton was a courier and we were doing his routes I could dig it, or if these people would reveal me some interesting story that relates to the main plot even the most remote way.

I've played a lot of WoW and many other MMOs too and I always get a good laugh how I need to bring this item to the cousin who's standing 100 meters from the quest giver and then I need to get the thanks back. The feeling was very similar in Lost Horizon. And obviously they still know how to make a good game as the last chapter shows us. For some reason they just didn't come up with anything between the beginning and the end and we ended up fetching rat tails for half a game. In all honesty if they just smashed like 3 of those middle chapters into one, the game would be ridiculously short but still a lot better.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:41 AM   #99

^
*disagrees*

All items served a purpose ultimately.
To get the camera you would need to
Spoiler:
convince the man a camera ban was held upon that area. For that you had to smear a doorknob with ketchup to stamp a photograph ad with a forbidden looking sign.

Okay, I get your point these things contribute little to the story. I am a heavy on story myself but I could still appreciate Lost Horizon's puzzles. Why? Because they made up for a LOT of Macgyver moments....You had to circumvent the problems in a lot of creative ways. And a part of the adventure gamer in you should appreciate that too.

I am having a blast with this game. Even though the story goes on a low pitch in some portions, in return you get to get a lot of sightseeing and fun puzzles.

And again I am really impressed with the level of detail. There is a lot of detailed animation and there are a lot of locations!
I was scared in the beginning because when Fenton gets his normal attire right after the beginning I thought 'wait...isn't that jacket a bit too hot for Hong Kong?' and I believed the developers did it for convenience sake of not having to design different skins.
But somewhat later the game quickly proved that the designers weren't lazy and you get to see Fenton in a lot of different outfits.

Last edited by Dale Baldwin; 02-07-2011 at 05:57 AM. Reason: added spoiler tags over puzzle solutions
Old 02-07-2011, 07:59 AM   #100
Adventure Game Researcher

I am hopeful about this game just have not had time to get to it yet..i love the subject and adventure games of this ilk are a lot of fun and really classics. I do hope to see it soon, thanks for all the posts.

Game Research and History
http://3dworldandgamedevelopers.blogspot.com
Game Patches and Aides
http://www.filefront.com/user/CrisGer
Patch and Fix Packs