You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Telltale considering doing Loom?!?!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2009, 10:46 AM   #1

Default Telltale considering doing Loom?!?!

http://www.totalpcgaming.com/latest-...g-at-telltale/

Quote:
Could Loom be the next big episodic series from Telltale Games?

Since the release of Lucasarts classics like the Sam & Max and Monkey Island-based episodic games from Telltale, the community has been given plenty of food for thought on what will get the episodic treatment next. Speaking to Total PC Gaming in a recent podcast interview, design director Dave Grossman (who worked on several original Lucasarts adventures and headed development of Tales Of Monkey Island) dropped this heavy hint:

“The one I always think about these days is Loom actually, and how ahead of its time it was. I think the problem with it at the time was that it was only two and a half hours long and now I find myself deliberately trying to design games that are only two and a half hours long. So I think… well, why not do that?”

Lucasarts’ Loom was the fourth point-and-click developed using the SCUMMVM engine and was a fascinating departure from the comical Monkey Island and Day Of The Tentacle games. It was a serious fantasy game that still captured the imagination of Lucasarts fans with the clever use of a musical distaff with spells, instead of a traditional inventory. It’s likely that if a Telltale version of Loom sees the light of day, the more adult tone of the original will ensure a less casual episodic series.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:08 AM   #2

Enough with these RUMORS!! I can't take it anymore!! I'd love a Loom series from Telltale though.

EDIT: When will gaming websites learn how to correctly spell "LucasArts" with a capital A? Also, ScummVM is the fan-made emulator; the original scripting engine was simply called Scumm. Oh and another thing, Loom came out BEFORE Monkey Island and Day of the Tentacle, so it wasn't a "fascinating departure". Gosh, what is this horrible website and who are these guys? I mean, come on! Research your stuff before posting it. Geez...

Last edited by 3rdFloor; 08-12-2009 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadWolf View Post
Enough with these RUMORS!! I can't take it anymore!! I'd love a Loom series from Telltale though.

EDIT: When will gaming websites learn how to correctly spell "LucasArts" with a capital A? Also, ScummVM is the fan-made emulator; the original scripting engine was simply called Scumm. Oh and another thing, Loom came out BEFORE Monkey Island and Day of the Tentacle, so it wasn't a "fascinating departure". Gosh, what is this horrible website and who are these guys? I mean, come on! Research your stuff before posting it. Geez...
Don't know the site....I assumed the info was legit, but you know what they say about assuming....
Old 08-12-2009, 11:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin The Third View Post
Don't know the site....I assumed the info was legit, but you know what they say about assuming....
Yeah, but I'm blaming them, not you.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadWolf View Post
Yeah, but I'm blaming them, not you.
No...it is all my fault. I let my enthusiasm get the better of me...I am so ashamed.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:20 PM   #6

I don't know if it has to be loom....but I'd be really interested in a serious themed game from telltale.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:46 PM   #7
Senior *female* member

What the f... ?!?!!!

Nobody messes with Loom and any sequels except BRIAN MORIARTY !!!
It's HIS brain child and HIS alone. If TellTale cannot leave Loom alone, they should at least have the decency to ask BRIAN MORIARTY, who is alive and kicking, to design the sequels which were already in the pipeline in the old days but never materialized.

Okay, rant over.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:43 PM   #8

Location: You want to know where I live? Are you some kind of stalker?
Send a message via MSN to Marduk Send a message via Yahoo to Marduk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
What the f... ?!?!!!

Nobody messes with Loom and any sequels except BRIAN MORIARTY !!!
They got Ron Gilbert to consult on TMI, I don't doubt they'd get Mr. Moriarty to consult on any LOOM games.

As for whether TTG are likely to make a sequel... Well if they really wanted to I imagine they've already looked into the chances of setting up a negotiation. But if they were to get the rights then LucasArts do have this habit of making other companies they deal with sign non -disclosure agreements (or whatever else it might be called that basically amounts to the same thing).

Look at Bad Brain when they tried to get the rights to Sam & Max. Nobody really knows why LucasArts broke off negotiations but many people suspected it was down to Wolfgang dropping some less than subtle hints about what it could be. (I think he said something about a game involving a certain animal team, or something along those lines. Seriously, how many other popular AGs had animals as their main protagonists?)

So it’s entirely possible that discussions between LA and TTG are already under way. Hell, I suppose it’s even possible that all deals have been finalised (or are in the process of finalisation) and the TellTale team are in the first stages of planning.

(On the flip side there's a chance that talks have broken down and Lucas' are not interested in selling or leasing the rights to them for any reason. But let's not be negative).
Old 08-12-2009, 04:06 PM   #9
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marduk View Post
They got Ron Gilbert to consult on TMI, I don't doubt they'd get Mr. Moriarty to consult on any LOOM games.
HA! Consulting is nothing. Don't get me started about consulting.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:23 AM   #10
She Wants Revenge

Loom was beautiful. It was actually the game that got me into adventures. There were others around there, like Larry1 and alike, can't remember the order I played them but Loom was the only one that made a real impression on me. Later on came DoTT, Sam&Max - Hit the Road, Beneath a Steel Sky and Gabriel Knight - and the sad Larry sequels . But Loom always has a place in my heart.

One day I found GK1 and Loom from a sale bin and after heavy pondering I went with GK1 since I thought it would be one you'd replay more. Now I only wish I had known how rare the opportunity was and had whined the money for both .

I've been loking that Loom is only like 5€ on some of those download sites, I'll prolly grab it someday and see if it's still as magical I'd love a new Loom, and obviously I'd hope they would do with as much respect and original crew as they can.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:03 AM   #11

Quote:
HA! Consulting is nothing. Don't get me started about consulting.
Ron wanted to, and has stated that he still may want to, give Monkey Island the conclusion he originally intended. (He wanted to do it in 3 parts, apparently, because the story he originally intended would have been too big to sell in 1 game).

Perhaps I'm being Naïve but when I learned that they had taken him on as a consultant I took it for granted that it was to help ensure that the game fit in with his original vision of how the series should end.

Of course if I'm wrong I will accept it in a mature and stoic fashion

Remember, sometimes consultants are people hired on a short term contract to oversee a project and sometimes they're just people they've contacted for 'hands off' advice in exchange for a fee. I'd hope it was the former in either case. But neither type of consultant is necessarily a bad thing.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:16 PM   #12
Senior *female* member

Yeah... well... I guess what we have here is a classic misunderstanding.
Let me explain my rant.

I don't want TellTale to mess with Loom. Period. I loved Sam & Max Season 1 + 2, I'm going to play their new MI adventure. But I don't like those ugly, crude graphics and I'd hate to see a TellTalized Bobbin on my screen. And Loom is a very different type of game, I sincerely doubt they can do a non-humorous game with a real story.

So, if there is to be a Loom sequel, I want Brian Moriarty to design it and hire whoever he thinks will do a good job. He is such a terrific storyteller! I know, no need to tell me... TellTale and my hero* are not interested in the opinion of a Fien nobody.

*I do have other adventure heroes. Jordan Mechner, Poki aka Jan Michaelis, the Obsidian team, to name a few.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:14 AM   #13

Quote:
Jordan Mechner
Wow, Telltale's episodic "The Last Express". That would be the best thing ever
Old 08-14-2009, 02:13 AM   #14
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matan View Post
wow, telltale's episodic "the last express". That would be the best thing ever
N O O O O O O O O O O !!!!!!!!!

Edit: Why don't I see the caps I type? Except in the Edited part.
Edit2: Now you see them, now you don't.

Last edited by Fien; 08-14-2009 at 02:26 AM.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:38 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marduk View Post
Perhaps I'm being Naïve but when I learned that they had taken him on as a consultant I took it for granted that it was to help ensure that the game fit in with his original vision of how the series should end.
This is the new quote on the main page. I find it odd that they selected one where the poster is admitting that he's basically clueless and had been working on assumptions. Still, nice to see that somebody thought the thought was interesting enough, one way or the other
Old 08-14-2009, 10:13 PM   #16

Marduk, your icon is my mouse mat
Old 08-15-2009, 03:12 AM   #17
The Quiet One

Cool, more Iron Maiden fans.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 08-15-2009, 07:09 PM   #18
Homer of Kittens

Did Loom have such a huge following that it is feasibly economical to make a sequel to it? I mean when you mention LucasArts, people usually associate them with Indiana Jones, Day of the Tentacle, Star wars, Monkey Island, and Sam and Max. I don't believe a lot of people outside the adventure gaming community know about Loom (but I could be way off. I am just basing my hypothesis on a guess and no factual data). I would imagine that Day of the Tentacle or Full Throttle would be more likely to have a sequel, but who knows.

Firefox rules
Old 08-16-2009, 09:59 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28 View Post
Did Loom have such a huge following that it is feasibly economical to make a sequel to it?
I never played the original, I didn't even own a PC when it came out, but I would like to see some of the marketing data concerning this game. Most hardcore fans of the genre seem to love it as much as any other AG. From what I see the biggest complaint was probably the length and, if Dave Grossman got his way, TTG would indeed be the ideal home for it.

But hell, with the success of TTG I think we're likely to see other companies imitate their online distribution model. Who knows, with lucasarts showing signs of relenting its anti-AG stance (since Darrell Rodriguez took charge) we might even see them put out a few. If so LOOM would probably be among them.

While they may or may not be working on LOOM in the future, I found this while researching the matter. I found it amusing, after all the repeatedly denied they were making a new Monkey Island game until they announced that, not only were they going to do one, but it would be ready within a month or so.

My opinion is that we're quite likely to see both titles from TTG in the next few years, UNLESS LA decide they want to get back into adventure gaming after all.

Last edited by Marduk; 08-16-2009 at 10:04 AM.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:46 PM   #20

loom was truly an interesting and inspiring game. i would love to see it again, but i'm not sure where or how will the story go, considering the ending of the original game. also i'm not sure ttg is up for such a serius and complexed story-line game.

ttg doing a sequel to Full Throttle. now that would be the greatest thing.