You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure A game like the Longest Journey? (Don't say Dreamfall please!)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2009, 02:42 AM   #1

Default A game like the Longest Journey? (Don't say Dreamfall please!)

Hello all,
I'm new to the forums and I'm trying to find a game like the Longest Journey. (Hard-task I know).
Let me tell you what I like about LJ: The story was very immerse, fascinating and I find the graphics really good too. Plus I think I have an alter-ego named April Ryan now.
I'm not new to the genre, I played adventure since childhood: started with leisure larry, monkey island, grim fandango, then phantasmagoria 2, some of the broken swords (didn't like very much though), post mortem (one of my favorites), syberia 2, dreamfall (disappointing!), a vampyre story, dracula origins, nostradamus (liked it very much), sanitarium...

As you can see, I like some mystic-fantasy in my games... And a strong story-line always helps (a female character too, I might admit)

Any suggestions, I found Half-life series or gabriel knight. Any other games?
Old 08-11-2009, 04:13 AM   #2

Off the top of my head, the first thing I'd say is "The Dig".

Just finished:Jurassic Park, Mata Hari
Playing now:Assassin's Creed 2, So Blonde
To be continued:Final Fantasy 13
Old 08-11-2009, 04:47 AM   #3

DREAMFALL....

J/k....seriously though TLJ is one of a kind exactly for the reasons you describe. Dreamfall would be just as good if it was long enough to wrap up all the loose threads.
You won't find a game similar to that. And if you ever find any please let me know.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:58 AM   #4

I agree, it is very hard to find. What I didn't like about Dreamfall is the controls that drove me crazzzzzy and the action kick to it which I found unnecessary. The story was nice, but underdeveloped *sigh*
Old 08-11-2009, 05:51 AM   #5

Have you not played Syberia 1? I would recommend it over the sequel, but normally played in order of course.

I can't really think of much else. Maybe The Moment of Silence if you like your scifi. Still Life is from the makers of Post Mortem and features one of the same characters and back story. I think anyway, I've never played Post Mortem.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:53 AM   #6

I'm also a TLJ lover, and i was also a bit disapointed with Dreamfall, however i also enjoyed it a lot, i was just expecting a bit more.

In terms of narrative, story and characters nothing beats the Gabriel Knight games IMO, they are just perfect in that way.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:52 AM   #7

You could give Culpa Innata a try. Also a femal protagonist, good graphics and a fascinating story. Also keep an eye on the to be released Whispered Worlds.

If you liked Nostradamus you should certainly play Secrets of Da Vinci, The: The Forbidden Manuscript from the same makers.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:59 AM   #8

I think the first Gabriel Knight comes closest to TLJ. Which isn't a coincidence since Ragnar Tornquist was inspired by it, he also wanted to do an adult adventure.
GK features just as much mystery and realistic characters. Sure, the story is less epic and there's no fantasy world, but there's supernatural stuff instead. Oh, and the writing is better, more to the point. It also has some crazy puzzles, but they all make some sense one way or the other.
Graphics are a bit more retro, though. If you play the CD version don't forget to turn the narrator voice off, it's annoying.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
I think the first Gabriel Knight comes closest to TLJ. Which isn't a coincidence since Ragnar Tornquist was inspired by it, he also wanted to do an adult adventure.
GK features just as much mystery and realistic characters. Sure, the story is less epic and there's no fantasy world, but there's supernatural stuff instead. Oh, and the writing is better, more to the point. It also has some crazy puzzles, but they all make some sense one way or the other.
Graphics are a bit more retro, though. If you play the CD version don't forget to turn the narrator voice off, it's annoying.
I agree. As a huge fan of TLJ, the first Gabriel Knight comes closest to TLJ in terms of "spirit". Really though, they are both such original game that nothing else really touches them.

If you haven't played Indiana Jones: Fate of Atlantis you definitely should. In terms of scope and epic storyline it comes kind of close to TLJ.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:52 AM   #10

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

And if you don't mind older games, I'd like to add: King's Quest IV (female protagonist, touching story), King's Quest VI (a masterpiece), Conquests of the Longbow (ditto) and maybe even the Quest for Glory series, which is definitely epic.

Oh, and yes: did I mention that Gabriel Knight is the very best?
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 08-11-2009, 02:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonax View Post
You could give Culpa Innata a try. Also a femal protagonist, good graphics and a fascinating story. Also keep an eye on the to be released Whispered Worlds.

If you liked Nostradamus you should certainly play Secrets of Da Vinci, The: The Forbidden Manuscript from the same makers.
Thanks for letting me know about Culpa Innata. I'm from turkey and I know the books that the game is inspired from. I'll give it a try (dunno any other Turkish adventure than Byzantine though) and I'll definitely try Gabriel Knight series too
Old 08-11-2009, 02:39 PM   #12

But Half-Life isn't an adventure game right?

You're from Turkey? I am turkish too ^_^
Old 08-11-2009, 04:17 PM   #13

Heya ironjawedangel,
you might wanna try Legend of Kyrandia 2: Hand of Fate. a humorous fantasy adventure a la Monkey Island with a female protagonist. Quite fun. The best installment in the series in my opinion too. And I don't think there's a need to play the first one first... unless you want to of course...
cheers
Old 08-11-2009, 05:44 PM   #14

Send a message via MSN to tobacos

u gotta play/try Perry Rhodan..
frankly its the best adventure in the past 4 years for me and it has this
atmosphere which very unique,but i wouldnt also forget Ceville and Vampyre story
which are more light and funny)
Old 08-12-2009, 12:36 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironjawedangel View Post
post mortem (one of my favorites)... And a strong story-line always helps (a female character too, I might admit)
I'm surprised you haven't played Still Life (unless you have?), the spiritual sequel to Post Mortem (Gus McPherson is the main character for 50% of the story) AND it's got the best female character in an adventure (Vic McPherson). You can download the demo here.

Still Life 2 has been released in some countries also. There's a demo out for that too.

Also, so long as you don't mind action games, try Silent Hill 2 for story and SH3 for the best female protagonist in any VG.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:02 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origami View Post
But Half-Life isn't an adventure game right?

You're from Turkey? I am turkish too ^_^
Right, I meant to say Still Life
Old 08-12-2009, 01:05 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobacos View Post
u gotta play/try Perry Rhodan..
frankly its the best adventure in the past 4 years for me and it has this
atmosphere which very unique,but i wouldnt also forget Ceville and Vampyre story
which are more light and funny)
thanks for the recommendations. I played Vampyre Story, but frankly it was like watching a movie more than playing don't you think?
Old 08-12-2009, 07:23 AM   #18
She Wants Revenge

I will give a thumbs up for some of the games already mentioned.

- Gabriel Knight 1 (was my favourite "serious" adventure for a long time, still might be, the sequels aren't bad either)
- Culpa Innata (a great game and if you feel the story was cut too short, don't worry - the sequel is coming soon! )
- Still Life (a crime story without any sci-fi or fantasy but it's enchanting and very well done)
- Perry Rhodan (I wasn't extatic about this but it had a lot of promise and charm still, and there was lots of adventuring through the universe like TLJ)
- Syberia I & II (I know some people consider these games a bit boring but if you were never bored with TLJ, you shouldn't be snoring on these either. And in Syberia you indeed do the longest journey)

I wouldn't recommend Still Life 2 if you got fed up with Dreamfall. All in all, I found the SL sequel a lot more frustrating to play. Stupid inventory system, bugs and gazillion timed sequences were a lot more painful than some button whacking you needed to do in Dreamfall to progress in the plot. Plus, the story is kinda "meh". If you enjoy being hunted instead of doing the hunting, then it can be a game for you.

I think no one yet mentioned the new Memento Mori. It's not perfect either but I liked it a lot - a lot. I already new TLJ and Syberia were going to be great since I had heard all the hype (I only played them this year) but Culpa Innata and Memento Mori suprised me. They were entertaining, not superpredictable like most adventure games these days are and I just plain liked them, the setting, the atmosphere. Both games have had some critics sayin they were boring again but I was never bored a second. I don't really know what those guys are even looking really, explosions, chases? What?
Old 08-12-2009, 04:02 PM   #19
Stalker of Britain

Am I the only one who actually liked Dreamfall and wasn't disappointed?!

I also loved the story and characters of TLJ, and I would suggest "The Lost Crown".
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 08-12-2009, 07:26 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
Am I the only one who actually liked Dreamfall and wasn't disappointed?!

I also loved the story and characters of TLJ, and I would suggest "The Lost Crown".
No you're definitely not the only one, I loved that game.

If you have a strong enough computer and don't mind action as well you could try Mass Effect. I really loved that game and the sequel is coming out next year.