You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Whispered Word, the 'How excited are YOU?' thread

View Poll Results: How Excited Are YOU To Play The Whispered World?
I am looking forward to this more than any other game! 11 22.92%
I am looking forward to this more than any other *adventure* game! 7 14.58%
I'm excited but there's 1 or 2 AGs about which I am more excited. 7 14.58%
I'm pretty excited 5 10.42%
I'm looking forward to it but 'excited' is too strong a word. 10 20.83%
It looks OK, I might play it... Eventually. 5 10.42%
It doesn't really look like my kind of thing. 3 6.25%
I shall Never play this game and I am appalled at the suggestion that I might be at all interested! 0 0%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2009, 09:36 AM   #1

Location: You want to know where I live? Are you some kind of stalker?
Send a message via MSN to Marduk Send a message via Yahoo to Marduk
Default Whispered Word, the 'How excited are YOU?' thread

It only occurred to me, today, that this game hasn't appeared on the Hype Meter. I found it very odd that a game that has been anticipated so much for several years - even believed to have died, at one point - wouldn't be there, especially since it has such an enduring thread on the forum.

I'm sure gamers don't need to have a visual aid to tell them when something has a lot of hype or a gauge of their own personal excitement regarding an upcoming game but I still like to examine things like this. Don't ask me why.

Then I read this; "Rankings determined based on forum polls, reader feedback and the staff's assessment of preview material and press demos." So I thought it might be a good idea to start one. As I said, I don't really see the need for a hype-o-meter (though there might be one still); think of this as a little experiment to see what it takes to get a game on there (using a game that I believe deserves a place there).

I don't wish to detract from a very good (and long lived) thread so please continue to post comments there by all means
Old 08-10-2009, 10:18 AM   #2
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marduk View Post
It only occurred to me, today, that this game hasn't appeared on the Hype Meter. I found it very odd that a game that has been anticipated so much for several years - even believed to have died, at one point - wouldn't be there, especially since it has such an enduring thread on the forum.
Sure it has. Here's just one random HoM archive, and it was on the list as recently as May. Games that spend years in production come and go off the list all the time as new updates are introduced, then fade into long stretches of inactivity.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:00 AM   #3

How funny that a game like Book of Unwritten Tales, the best (or one of the best) adventure(s) in years, never made it to the Hype-o-Meter list, but something like Return to Mysterious Island 2 or the overly hyped Tales of Monkey Island (the holy grail of adventure gaming?) did.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:37 AM   #4
Hopeful skeptic

I don't find anything surprising about those comparisons at all. But Book of Unwritten Tales did make the Honoroble Mentions several times after its announcement, and would have made the main list in a heartbeat if there was ever any indication of getting an English-language release. And still will if there ever is.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:17 PM   #5
Easily amused

Not my type of game, so I'm not excited at all.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:23 PM   #6

Where did you get a demo?

I can safely say this is the adventure game I'm most looking forward to!
Old 08-10-2009, 02:01 PM   #7

I'm actually looking forward to it more than any other game, mainly because it is so close to release.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:24 PM   #8

"It looks OK, I might play it... eventually" is what I voted for. I don't know anything about the story, and the screenshots and characters I've seen didn't grab me at all.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:42 PM   #9
Sky is not the limit

Send a message via ICQ to Zanthia Send a message via Yahoo to Zanthia

Graphics looks nice. But graphics is not a problem in a modern games. All of them have good graphics, very little of them have anything more.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:39 PM   #10

This has been on the top of my list since I first saw it announced on adventure-eu 3-4 years ago.

I still can't believe it's being released. Especially after how it seemed to have died a painful death after the Badbrain fiasco.

I'll be so happy to finally get hold of it.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanthia View Post
Graphics looks nice. But graphics is not a problem in a modern games. All of them have good graphics, very little of them have anything more.
Yes, but what game can you think of that has such amazing 2D graphics? I'm not a graphics nut either, but this is one game that I will have to play just to check out the backgrounds.

I'm definitely not trying to argue with your opinion, I just wanted to note how not many games look like this these days, certainly not this good.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:19 AM   #12
Adventure Dude =]

I could care less about graphics in a game, but you'd have to be blind not to be memorized by the beauty of this game. That alone has got me pumped up for this game. =]

Last Game Finished: Memento Mori, Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 1: Launch of the Screaming Narwhal

Games Recently Finished: Art of Murder - The Hunt for the Puppeteer, Secret Files 2, Still Life 2
Old 08-12-2009, 01:57 PM   #13
Sky is not the limit

Send a message via ICQ to Zanthia Send a message via Yahoo to Zanthia

Most of modern games are 3d, that's true. But magical landscapes are not rear. I won't play game just for the graphics. That what movies are for. And from the game I want a little more.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:36 PM   #14

I wouldn't even watch an animation film that has just great graphics.
But it's clear that there's more to the Whispered World than graphics, but the graphics add much to it. They convey melancholy and show many fantastical, magical places. Also, lots of animations which is always a plus.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:11 AM   #15

BTW, if you haven't been to it already, check out the myspace page with 3 tracks from the sountrack here.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:09 AM   #16

Well, if you conclude that the 1st 4 results to be "excited" (and everybody else to be less than...) then that would be nearly 60% of all who've taken part in the poll.

The real question is; is 60% of 37 people enough people to be worthy of the 'Hype-O-Meter'?

I understand that it's been on ther before but now it's about to happen for real... And 3 or 4 years or more of 'hype' are behind it.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:11 AM   #17
Hopeful skeptic

WW is already squarely on our radar, so the poll doesn't really change anything. And we're drooling over the same screenshots as everyone else. Heck, I already played some of it. The rave German reviews will certainly help (assuming they continue to be good) when it's time to update the HoM next. But then, it'll be competing with any big game news out of GamesCom, so it could still be in tough.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:45 AM   #18

I love polls, by the way. That was a neat idea, Marduk.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:28 PM   #19

I only just noticed i misspelled the title
Old 08-16-2009, 05:26 PM   #20

It certainly looks great, but the concept of the game; a clown having a premonition about the end of the world - doesn't grab me in the same way as when I first read about Syberia, The Longest Journey or even Still Life.

Plus, am I right in thinking this game has a verb menu - I think I read that somewhere, maybe even here. If there's one thing in adventure game design that I'm 100% sure of, it's that games no longer need a laundry list of verbs to choose from, especially if they're hidden away in a pop-up menu. This was recently reinforced by the release of The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition - a great game, with a horrible interface.

I don't mind going back to old games with such interfaces, but we live we learn - and even LucasArts learned this particular lesson years ago.

If it doesn't have a verb menu then just ignore me