You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2009, 05:12 PM   #1

Default GamesCom 2009

The big annual event will be happening very soon, so I was wondering about the specific dates or any interesting information about it. A quick Google search revealed that the event will take place between Wednesday, August 19th and Sunday, August 23rd.

For those who don't know, the Games Convention was an annual video game event which, until last year, was being held in Leipzig. This year however, a new convention has taken its place (thanks to aggressive marketing) and Germany is once again the lucky country to host the fun. Therefore, it's now called GamesCom and it will be happening in the city of Cologne. What sets it apart from other similar events like E3 is that it usually hosts a much larger number of adventure game developers.

Sadly, I won't be attending this great event, but here are the games I'm hoping to see exposed:

- Gray Matter
- Any new game(s) from Kheops Studio
- Chronicles of Mystery: The Tree of Life
- Art of Murder: Cards of Destiny
- Lost Horizon

What are yours?

Last edited by 3rdFloor; 08-06-2009 at 09:43 AM. Reason: I was misinformed about GamesCom, so I made corrections. Thanks PolloDiablo!
Old 08-05-2009, 10:32 PM   #2
Headbanger

To say that I also hope that more information about Gray Matter will be released is a big understatement (and that probably goes for most people on this forum).

Is this convention open for the public?

EDIT: To bad that Gray Matter isn't mention at dtp:s page about the convention. I guess they could still show something from it but the chances just went down a bit.

Last edited by Henke; 08-05-2009 at 10:51 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Any new game(s) from Kheops Studio
This.

/me hopes for Dracula 4
Old 08-06-2009, 12:57 AM   #4
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadWolf View Post
- Gray Matter
- Any new game(s) from Kheops Studio
- Chronicles of Mystery: The Tree of Life
- Art of Murder: Cards of Destiny
- Lost Horizon

What are yours?
Man, I haven't even heard of The Tree of Life and Lost Horizon! I'll do a search on them. Gray Matter? That'll be the day! Bwahahahaha.... Oops, so sorry.

Yes, any game from Kheops.
Any game from Daedalic, such as A New Beginning
15 Days (House of Tales)
Black Mirror 2

PS: Isn't Pollodiablo going there?
Old 08-06-2009, 01:11 AM   #5
Chicken with a bite

First, this is not the Games Convention (GC) but the Gamescom and Cologne was not 'chosen' for it. The event that previously took place in Leipzig (GC) was not held this year because of the aggressive marketing strategy of the Gamescom, a new player on the market that somehow convinced a large group of German developers to come to them, then changing the date to coincide with the Games Convention (GC) in Leipzig. Since publishers and press cannot be at two places at the same time, the GC had no other option than to skip this year. They did have a smaller event last week covering online/mobile games only.

Your dates are accurate, although it should be added that
a) the Wednesday is closed to the public, only professionals/business/press allowed. The other days are open to the public although a couple of halls are still business only. On Sunday the Business Only halls will be closed.
b) Sony and EA have press conferences on Tuesday afternoon/evening when the convention has not officially started

DTP has announced their lineup and Gray Matter is not to be shown to the public. I am unsure what they will show behind closed doors though. Black Mirror 2 is playable. House of Tales does not have a booth, so I hightly doubt we'll see anything from 15 Days. I don't think Daedalic will be showing anything either.

Here's a list of exhibitors: http://gamescom.ausstellerdaten.de/index.php

Fien, Lost Horizon is the new game from Animation Arts (Secret Files games).
Old 08-06-2009, 01:27 AM   #6
Senior *female* member

Thanks for the info, Pollo. You're well-informed, as usual.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
Man, I haven't even heard of The Tree of Life and Lost Horizon! I'll do a search on them. Gray Matter? That'll be the day! Bwahahahaha.... Oops, so sorry.

Yes, any game from Kheops.
Any game from Daedalic, such as A New Beginning
15 Days (House of Tales)
Black Mirror 2

PS: Isn't Pollodiablo going there?
Daedalic already announced a new game for 2010. It's called Deponia (Deponie, with ie, is German for "landfill") and will tell the romantic and funny story of a guy named Rufus and his home, a trash planet.

A first preview was released via GameStar. Scans and first pictures here:
http://www.bilder-hochladen.net/files/6itj-22-jpg.html
http://www.bilder-hochladen.net/files/6itj-23-jpg.html
http://www.bilder-hochladen.net/files/6itj-24-jpg.html
http://www.bilder-hochladen.net/files/6itj-25-jpg.html
Old 08-06-2009, 04:37 AM   #8
Senior *female* member

Hey, great news, thanks. I already like the story of Deponia. Sounds like a novel concept, three different personalities and all.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:21 AM   #9

Wow daedalic is making leaps, excellent artworks again....whats the story?
Old 08-06-2009, 06:42 AM   #10
Chicken with a bite

Deep Silver have just announced their line-up, they will be showing (a.o)
-Secret Files 2 Puritas Cordis (why?)
-The Whispered World
-Lost Horizon
Old 08-06-2009, 09:45 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolloDiablo View Post
First, this is not the Games Convention (GC) but the Gamescom and Cologne was not 'chosen' for it. The event that previously took place in Leipzig (GC) was not held this year because of the aggressive marketing strategy of the Gamescom, a new player on the market that somehow convinced a large group of German developers to come to them, then changing the date to coincide with the Games Convention (GC) in Leipzig. Since publishers and press cannot be at two places at the same time, the GC had no other option than to skip this year. They did have a smaller event last week covering online/mobile games only.
Excellent! I changed my original post so it will no longer be confusing for future readers. Thanks a lot!
Old 08-19-2009, 09:01 AM   #12
Headbanger

Have anyone heard something more about what will be shown at the convention? Like for example...Gray Matter?
Old 08-19-2009, 10:42 AM   #13

Lost Horizon for example, the new and almost unknown adventure from Animations Arts (Secret Files: Tunguska).

Old 08-19-2009, 10:44 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke View Post
Have anyone heard something more about what will be shown at the convention? Like for example...Gray Matter?
Apparently not...

Quote:
DTP has announced their lineup and Gray Matter is not to be shown to the public.
I can't understand why Wizarbox isn't even ready to show a freakin' screenshot or two. This is very disappointing.

Anyway, GamesCom is officially starting today!
Old 08-19-2009, 10:45 AM   #15

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadWolf View Post
I can't understand why Wizarbox isn't even ready to show a freakin' screenshot or two. This is very disappointing.
The decision is not up to Wizarbox, but to dtp, the house publishing Gray Matter.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 08-19-2009, 06:34 PM   #16

Quote:
DTP has announced their lineup and Gray Matter is not to be shown to the public. I am unsure what they will show behind closed doors though.
If there is anything to show, I guess we'll just have to continue to be patient.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:51 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
The decision is not up to Wizarbox, but to dtp, the house publishing Gray Matter.
Yes, that's true Andrea. I just had the feeling that if Wizarbox did have something valuable to show then dtp would have likely decided to use GamesCom as a great publicity vehicle for the game. Such as it is however, I'm left to assume Wizarbox don't have anything to show yet. Which is bewildering to say the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazmajik View Post
If there is anything to show, I guess we'll just have to continue to be patient.
And that's okay. We have plenty of games to play in the meantime, especially with the large amount of exciting releases we've witnessed over the past several months.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:53 AM   #18

House of Tales is a part of dtp for some time now, so I guess it's likely that 15 Days will be shown.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:34 PM   #19

So Blonde 2 announced. Steve Ince wrote two completely different storys.

Facts:
- written by Steve Ince and developed by Wizarbox
- several endings
- 3 playable characters
- Minigames
- For PC, Wii and DS

Old 08-20-2009, 02:59 PM   #20

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptin View Post
So Blonde 2 announced. Steve Ince wrote two completely different storys.
Are you talking about a real So Blonde 2? Not just about the DS alternate version? A real So Blonde 2?

I'm so, so happy!
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box