You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2009, 03:25 PM   #1
Codger

Default "Casual Games"

I admit to playing what are commonly referred to as causal games. They offer me a quick fix while I continue my search for an Adventure game I want to play. Most are hidden item games. Some, such as Death in Scarlet and A Darker Shade of Grey, have more of an adventure "feel" to them.

I do have a large concern about these games. More than a few are caught by my AV with embedded viruses. (Or is that virii?) And another few are stopped from installing by my AV because it detected a problem. Most recent example was a game called Annabel.

While I know they are primarily a distributor, rather than a publisher, Zylom Games downloads seems to be caught most often by my AV.

Anyone else have any experience in this arena?
Old 08-01-2009, 05:27 PM   #2
Banned User

The best place to get these games are through Reflexive or Big Fish. I never ran into such problems. What AV do you use?
Old 08-01-2009, 09:34 PM   #3

I never had any troubles with Big Fish either. I've only been a member for a few weeks now, but so far, it's smooth as silk.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:51 AM   #4
Codger

I use the paid version of AVG.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:56 AM   #5

I wouldn't worry about it, poor programming and/or shortcuts taken with registry files often set off AV programs. It doesn't mean they actually have viruses, just that your reigistry files are being accessed in an unconvential way.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:41 PM   #6
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggreen737 View Post
I wouldn't worry about it, poor programming and/or shortcuts taken with registry files often set off AV programs. It doesn't mean they actually have viruses, just that your reigistry files are being accessed in an unconvential way.
Exactly. I use avast, and haven't been mislead with false Warnings though, especially since its free.

Norton, McAfee, and AVG can't present a lot of false warnings, based on my experience.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:49 PM   #7
Codger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggreen737 View Post
I wouldn't worry about it
Agree to a point. That is when a poorly-programmed game sets my AV bells ringing because of unexpected registry calls, do I really want to take the risk?

And to the others that commented, I, too, have had excellent success with BigFish. But they don't carry all the titles. (I am playing an excellent EAP game that has more adventure logic in it than I'm used to in a casual game.)