You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure SOMI SE on Steam vs Direct2Drive

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2009, 10:14 AM   #1

Default SOMI SE on Steam vs Direct2Drive

Hey guys! It's been a while since I've posted here because I've stopped playing adventure games, but news of an updated SOMI has brought me back!

I've heard that it's available on both Steam and Direct2Drive. Is it available anywhere else?

Does anyone know the differences between Steam and Direct2Drive? Has anyone used both services and has any preference? I've heard that it's a bit more difficult to play Steam games offline, is this the same with D2D?

Thank you for your advice, and hello!

--dusty
Old 07-28-2009, 12:18 PM   #2

Welcome back!

I used to buy games from Steam and loved it but now I prefer Direct2Drive because it doesn't require a client. And yes, games bought at Direct2Drive run completely offline once they've been activated, that is, you need to be online the first time you start the game. If you're familiar with the Telltale Store, then it works in a similar way.

Regarding any specific differences for The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition, I don't believe there's any, aside from availability; the game is apparently sold worldwide on Steam but only in North America on Direct2Drive.

Have fun!

EDIT: I don't think it's available anywhere else at the moment.

Last edited by 3rdFloor; 07-28-2009 at 12:32 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:39 PM   #3

Hey DeadWolf, thanks for info!

I don't like the idea of playing the game through a client either.

On D2D can I download a game and burn it onto a DVD? Or if I delete the game from my computer can I download it again onto another computer?

This whole "download-only" phenomenon happened during my break from gaming so I feel like an old grandpa trying to figure this out.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:05 PM   #4

My pleasure!

And I don't think you can actually burn the downloaded install package for later use, though there might be a way that I'm unaware of. Also, you're definitely entitled to download your purchases on all the computers you have, the only catch being that after about five times you'll need to email support to unblock the game again. Though it could be more than five times, I'm not even sure. Just like the activation process with Telltale, I never had any issue with D2D.

Oh and welcome to the download phenomenon!
Old 08-01-2009, 09:57 PM   #5

I've downloaded it from D2D, installed it, and now I am in AG heaven. I love it, and I'm very happy with D2D. Thank you for your advice!!!
Old 08-02-2009, 10:53 AM   #6

No problem! I'm glad you're satisfied with your purchase.